Author Topic: Why has Pizzamaking.com Changed???  (Read 2210 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Why has Pizzamaking.com Changed???
« on: March 01, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »
Unless this is a temporary thing, I find the new change to pizzamaking.com very disappointing!!!

When I pulled up the website the last few days and entered the forum, I did not have the time to long in my name and password. I noticed that this lets me see the threads but does NOT let me view the photos on the threads. If this is a perminant change, I think it will not be a positive thing for the forum.

Many times, I refer people to this forum to show them ideas for pizza making. However, not everyone has the time or joins a social media forum like pizzamaking.com. Some people only want to view it only.(sometime they view it immediately on their phone to see the photo)  My guess is that the forum is trying to get people to join, rather than just being a viewer. If this is the future of the forum, then people like myself will probably not refer other to the forum, as I often do, knowing that those people can not see the photos that i am telling them about.

Thinking back, it was seeing the pictures of pizza being made that cause me to join. Hope this is not a perminant thing.

TomN
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:55:25 PM by TomN »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Why has Pizzamaking.com Changed???
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 03:49:03 PM »
I turned off the feature to show images to guests. Maybe this was a bad idea? I was thinking that it would be an incentive to increase membership. Also, to cut down on wasted bandwidth with all of the bots and spiders crawling the site and sucking up the photos.

I'll go ahead to re-enable the feature. With the move to the new forum software (v2.x), I can configure the forum to show a thumbnail which can be clicked to see the full-size image. That should cut down on bandwidth.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:50:36 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »
With the move to the new forum software (v2.x), I can configure the forum to show a thumbnail which can be clicked to see the full-size image.

Only for those not signed in, please.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:15:36 PM »
There are a lot of forums out there that require registering in order to access features(such as pics).
Now I'd be the first to admit I don't understand things like bandwidth and it's costs along with spiders too...I do know that if I , as an administrator, could save money by requiring folks to take 2 mins. to register then that would be implemented immediately. Steve is a straight shooter an doesn't mess around with peoples registering info so , why not? We are respected. This site has grown up a lot and should be appreciated as more than just a quick stop an shop...

edit:Implementing this type of seriously interested membership could also probably help Steve source some type of outside financial support too let's not overlook.....

Also, how many fielded "guest" questions per day can we keep laying on our Moderators before they finally feel they need to just move on man....that would be a total bummer and you best believe it friends!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:28:25 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 08:04:09 PM »
Perhaps I am looking at this all wrong. I considered this a great site for those that were interested in making pizza that were new to it and wanted to learn from those that have done it for years. i guess pizzamaking.com is really designed for the pizzeria owner or those that have perfected their recipes. Why else would you exclude the newbie pizza maker. (Perhaps you could explain the philosophy behind having pizzamaking.com and who it is that your trying to reach?)

Ask yourself this question. How many social networks, pizza forums or any other forums have you joined lately, without seeing some photos first? And have you forgotten all those that use their cell phone more that their laptops, PCs or Ipads? I think you will miss out on those future members when you block the photos. Also, doesn't it attract more advertisers on here to have more views per day than members? Just a thought.

It's your forum and not mine.  However, that is my opinion.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:06:32 PM by TomN »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:32:59 PM »

No, it is Steve's forum; and your opinion is welcome. What ever the new factors that surround the new version of forum software is just going to be the way it is.  There has never been a newbie come in here and post questions that has not been helped by all.  This is a 'work for your food type of forum'. People have to show a genuine interest in learning, and be willing to show some effort on their part, before any of this help makes sense.

Everyone wants the magic bullet recipe.  There is none. Get your hands dirty, crank the oven and get cooking.  How much more simple could it be? ???

You are wrong, Pizzamaking.com is about as far from 'being designed for the pizzeria owner or those that have perfected their recipes" pull up a chair and dig in if you are serious.  If not........?  I've been here a couple years and still can't get everything right, whats your excuse? No pictures?  Give me a break.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:56:53 PM »
I joined the forum just because of my interest in making better pizza. I never thought about pictures. Members here share ideas, failures, and great pies. As a guest, the vast amount of knowledge and the way it was shared is what made me join. Pictures were not a decision maker for me to join.
I would say that for a casual viewer, with a desire to learn about pizzamaking, a few reads of threads, even without pictures, would convince them that this is the place to learn.
I bake at home like many members, just for the joy of creating something close to what my family enjoys.
Marty

Offline dineomite

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
I've always found the true value of this site in the information contained in the written word. I can't say that the pictures contained within even begin to scratch the surface of the overall collection of written knowledge here.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 10:15:39 PM »
  Also, doesn't it attract more advertisers on here to have more views per day than members? Just a thought.

Ummm...seriously, have you not noticed that Steve is trying hard to keep out advertisers?
Maybe you don't mind/are used to pop ups on your i-phoney, i-pad, i-whatever....but many of us appreciate what adm. has done here.
btw, for what it's worth, this site allows a lot of freedom that you don't often see...many of us are quite opinionated about pizza making products(Steve allows this)....and that would change my friend if "XYZ Pizza Tools Inc." came on board. ;)

Bob

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 01:06:45 AM »
Great Opinions, love hearing them all. Hey looks like the photos are back. Nice... Thank you Steve. If you lived close by, i would pour you one of my best high end beers and you wouldn't even have to make dough with it.

Thanks again!

TomN
PS
I sure like that Subaru Car advertisement at the top of the screen. So cool.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:09:22 AM by TomN »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 01:38:07 AM »
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but I don't care...

Pizza Making.com is the premier location on the web to seek information about anything pizza related...that ain't no secret folks.

If I was the man in charge I would allow these 60+ guests per day a free 7 day pass(create a super simple week long effective log in), if you will, and after that it costs a buck...$1.00 U.S. dollar(annually) to become a full privileged member with the knowledge that half of your dues go to some sort of American feed/educate children's program. We are a great community here and I would feel extra proud if we were able to do a 'lil something extra...for others and for those that bring this forum to us.

This is just my opinion and please only comment if you have something positive to say about it.... ;D

Offline Morgan

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 05:07:31 AM »
I turned off the feature to show images to guests. Maybe this was a bad idea? I was thinking that it would be an incentive to increase membership. Also, to cut down on wasted bandwidth with all of the bots and spiders crawling the site and sucking up the photos.

I'll go ahead to re-enable the feature. With the move to the new forum software (v2.x), I can configure the forum to show a thumbnail which can be clicked to see the full-size image. That should cut down on bandwidth.

No, i think this was good idea! Pics shown on these threads should be only available to registered users.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 08:01:51 AM »
Perhaps I am looking at this all wrong. I considered this a great site for those that were interested in making pizza that were new to it and wanted to learn from those that have done it for years. i guess pizzamaking.com is really designed for the pizzeria owner or those that have perfected their recipes. Why else would you exclude the newbie pizza maker. (Perhaps you could explain the philosophy behind having pizzamaking.com and who it is that your trying to reach?)

Ask yourself this question. How many social networks, pizza forums or any other forums have you joined lately, without seeing some photos first? And have you forgotten all those that use their cell phone more that their laptops, PCs or Ipads? I think you will miss out on those future members when you block the photos. Also, doesn't it attract more advertisers on here to have more views per day than members? Just a thought.

It doesn't cost anything to join. But it's a moot point. Pictures are back for guests.  :chef:
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »
I agree with Steve that it is a moot point now but I remember several years ago there was a period of time where only new members could see photos. Wearing my Moderator hat, I concluded at the time that maybe some people were joining the forum just to have access to the photos and without any intention of playing a more active role on the forum, which I thought was better for the forum. I therefore concluded that maybe it was better to just let guests see the photos again so that they wouldn't join just for that purpose and clog up the membership rolls. So, Steve changed things to let guests see photos again.

After watching the parade as a Moderator over a period of eight plus years, I now believe that most people join the forum mainly to find recipes, especially clone recipes of their favorite pizzas, to ask for help, to make a comment or observation on a pizza matter, to use the search engines (which they can only do it they are members), or because they are simply intrigued by what they see as guests and decide to join to explore the forum further. In that vein, we have also seen a dramatic increase in interest in Neapolitan style pizza and ovens and related mobile applications. However, the reality is that, no matter what the "system" is, people continue to join even though only a few percent of them make it out of the introductory stage and become active on the forum, even when they profess their undying love for pizza and say that they plan to become active participants. We are lucky to get two or three percent of the new members to play an active role.

Peter

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but I don't care...

Pizza Making.com is the premier location on the web to seek information about anything pizza related...that ain't no secret folks.

If I was the man in charge I would allow these 60+ guests per day a free 7 day pass(create a super simple week long effective log in), if you will, and after that it costs a buck...$1.00 U.S. dollar(annually) to become a full privileged member with the knowledge that half of your dues go to some sort of American feed/educate children's program. We are a great community here and I would feel extra proud if we were able to do a 'lil something extra...for others and for those that bring this forum to us.

This is just my opinion and please only comment if you have something positive to say about it.... ;D

Bob, I agree in concept. I have been a member of sites where membership is $25/yr. I have also been a member where donations are both encouraged and asked for, and I know of sites that get kick backs from Amazon if members access Amazon thru the site link. I believe in paying for what I get, if I get a lot then I pay accordingly. Your $1/yr fee is pretty small potatoes. Perhaps Steve is doing OK with the cost of running this site and doesn't feel the need to ask for financial help, apparently. This doesn't prevent all of us for sending him a few ducats once in a while as a show of our appreciation for all he does to foster our ADDICTION! :drool:

Mark
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:16:45 AM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 12:27:30 PM »
Bob, I agree in concept. I have been a member of sites where membership is $25/yr. I have also been a member where donations are both encouraged and asked for, and I know of sites that get kick backs from Amazon if members access Amazon thru the site link. I believe in paying for what I get, if I get a lot then I pay accordingly. Your $1/yr fee is pretty small potatoes. Perhaps Steve is doing OK with the cost of running this site and doesn't feel the need to ask for financial help, apparently. This doesn't prevent all of us for sending him a few ducats once in a while as a show of our appreciation for all he does to foster our ADDICTION! :drool:

Mark

When the new (improved) forum goes live next weekend, I plan to restructure the donation system to make it easier for people to help me with the costs.

The current scheme is Bronze ($25/year), Gold ($50/year) and Platinum ($100/year).

I plan to scrap that scheme completely and have two levels of membership: Supporting Member ($10/year) and Lifetime Member ($100/one-time). I'm also toying with the idea of a third level Supporting Vendor ($100/year), not sure about that one.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 03:06:09 PM »
...Lifetime Member ($100/one-time). I'm also toying with the idea of a third level Supporting Vendor ($100/year), not sure about that one.

How about upping the message capacity by 50% for lifetime members?

How about special smileys for lifetime members?  Just kidding, I'd just like a bit more message space.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »
How about upping the message capacity by 50% for lifetime members?

How about special smileys for lifetime members?  Just kidding, I'd just like a bit more message space.

Ok, you can now have 500 messages. Lifetime Members have 1000. This change is effective now (on this board) and will carry over to the new software.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 06:47:42 PM »
OK, you can now have 500 messages. Lifetime Members have 1000. This change is effective now (on this board) and will carry over to the new software.

Thanks.

Would you consider a 'buy a lifetime membership- get one half off'?  Kinda like a push-pull-and-drag-sale  at the local auto? If not, that is OK.  I just think it is important that the core membership/ knowledgeable posters remain the same without financial burden for a 'lifetime' membership.

Wish list from PM.com: Tshirt, Visa card, bumpersticker, koozie, membership card with discounts for hotels and restraunts around the world. Lol.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 07:02:43 PM »
Thanks.

Would you consider a 'buy a lifetime membership- get one half off'?  Kinda like a push-pull-and-drag-sale  at the local auto? If not, that is OK.  I just think it is important that the core membership/ knowledgeable posters remain the same without financial burden for a 'lifetime' membership.

Wish list from PM.com: Tshirt, Visa card, bumpersticker, koozie, membership card with discounts for hotels and restraunts around the world. Lol.

As soon as we have a professional logo designed, I plan to offer t-shirts and the like.