Author Topic: Fratelli's Coal Fired Pizza  (Read 946 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Fratelli's Coal Fired Pizza
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:41:05 PM »
WTF! STRIKE 4 On the coal fired !! >:(
This is getting ridiculous. Its obviously a fad with knowone having a clew as to what the hell is going on, or how to cook a pizza in my last 4  reviews in any of these new coalfired joints. Same deal here asked what kinda flour ? "Dont know they make it out back, I only  make Pizzas" how hot? "really hot 700"
I walk in get excited and again let down. The huge Earthstone Oven sits there as you walk in I think it was at least the 140 well over 50" inside and the door looked very large.
1 guy making and baking at 1 oclock ? I watched him burn pie after pie never cooking a single second off the floor or more than 1/2 turn during the  4 min bake. Ordered my standard trial meatballs, wings and 2 pies The Broc Rabe and Sausage white pie  was not as burt? and tasted good. The Pepperoni was large size cut in 1/2 so decent quality think its what I use ? nice fresh sauce Sliced round block  mozz down first the blob the sauce. This place could be very good just about 30 seconds off the time and 20 off the floor wha la I felt like jumping behind there and showing him how it should /could look !
All in all, This was  my Favorite between Paulies, Anthonys, Tommys, and Fratelli's. The Meatballs were marginal, I  Prefered Anthonys on these oversize  balls
Best wings were here. not buried in onion bed and cooked nice not soggy. I know coal oven pie is well done ?  But these pies were way over done ! Scottr and everyone would you serve this ?  eat or send back? Have a peek ! I think I will hold off on these places for a while I am getting frustrated!  ??? ???
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:47:16 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Fratelli's Coal Fired Pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »
Have you ever been to Luzzo's on 1st ave - right around the corner from Motorino? It's always been one of my favorites.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:50:23 PM »
Throw some coal in the Scooby Doo van and show them how it's done!

Seriously though, there two coal places around here ive been to and one is excellent and has been open for 5 or so years. The other is newer and not so good.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:00:12 PM »
near char coal?  too bad too,  the dough looks like it had potential and the heat was there

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:17:02 PM »
are you kidding with that crap!!! this stuff takes skill!!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:24:17 PM »
Just freakin get to New Haven NOW!   All these places suck!    It does seem like the best coal oven pizza in the NY area is luzzos.    but... your already basically eating that at vesta but in a WFO.     

Makes me realize how good we have it at Max and Leo's here in boston.   That oven isnt easy to use, but they at least get it right up here.     

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:37:14 PM »
 Yes the dough did have potential . And yes its hard ! Especially if you used to working a gas deck oven which  was obvious today . Stretch was good ! cooking dough maybe 60% ISH? Not so good.
I'll give luzzos a shot, but please give these newbies a little training  let them make 100 batches of dough and 100 pies before you cut em loose my goodness!  would be great  maybe a picture on the wall. So they can see a finished pie ? This guy did speak english but not very interested in chatter that's for sure.
Scott123 let me know when the new haven trip is scheduled I am ready!

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »
Wow, those are some burned...I would find it difficult not to send back. I must say, you are a generous  & fair critic & I am impressed that you really wanted them to pull it off.
I'm surprised you didn't offer to pay extra to let you make your own :)

I agree with Craig, Luzzo's is really good. When the wait is too long at Motorino you can often get a seat there right away..

Clay

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 11:27:12 AM »
Boo. Sh*t. Hiss.

Those pies suck.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 11:41:34 AM »
John, pizza making, Vesta, and all these other places have spoiled you!  :-D

Chau

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 02:13:38 PM »
Jackie spoiled is when you get what you want :) and  I just don't want that kinda burn
Might as well eat the coal   :-D
I give everyone a fair shake, and I think they have a chance here but  f you mess up don't be afraid to dump a few and do it over that's how to learn by I will be back at Amano next week. 2 fer Tuesday  $

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »
I agree John.  I am envious you get to plau and eat over there!

Chau