Author Topic: What to do when a guest offends you?  (Read 4000 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: What to do when a guest offends you?
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 04:12:14 PM »
And I'm guessing this 28.35 value is the density of pizza dough?
Thomas,

No, the 28.35 number is to convert grams to ounces in order to do the thickness factor calculation. There are 28.35 grams in an ounce.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »
...  so when VPN claims that pizzas must be no more than 0.3 cm and crust no more than 2 cm, as they using a a thickness factor-like calculation, or physically measuring?
Derrick,

The VPN measurements are physical measurements. About the only ones who use thickness factors are the members of this forum, including Tom Lehmann, from I learned about the thickness factor several years ago. However, he usually uses the expression "density loading factor". If you are interested, you can read more on this topic at Reply 918 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg130858/topicseen.html#msg130858.

Peter

Offline MaximusTG

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 04:04:09 AM »
Thomas,

No, the 28.35 number is to convert grams to ounces in order to do the thickness factor calculation. There are 28.35 grams in an ounce.

Peter

Ah, okay, of course (more of a metric guy myself ;) )! So the thickness factor is measured in ounces per square inch right?

I thought the thickness factor was the actual thickness of the pizza dough before bake in inches . Which gives a 2,5 mm thick pizza dough for 0.1 thickness factor. But I see that it is not so.

I guess it is of course impossible to calculate the density of the pizza dough, since the volume of the risen dough probably does decrease a bit when shaping the pizza.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:51 AM »
Ah, okay, of course (more of a metric guy myself ;) )! So the thickness factor is measured in ounces per square inch right?

I thought the thickness factor was the actual thickness of the pizza dough before bake in inches . Which gives a 2,5 mm thick pizza dough for 0.1 thickness factor. But I see that it is not so.

I guess it is of course impossible to calculate the density of the pizza dough, since the volume of the risen dough probably does decrease a bit when shaping the pizza.
Thomas,

Yes, the thickness factor is ounces per square inch (of surface area). The shape of the pizza doesn't matter. It can be round (with a surface area of Pi x R2), or rectangular (with a surface area of length times width), or any other shape whose surface area can be calculated. Since two different types of skins can have the same thickness factor but different actual thicknesses (also, some types of skins, like those that are used to make cracker style pizzas, can have no rims), some members prefer to work with dough weights rather than thickness factors. Perry may be one of those persons.

Peter

Offline james456

• NY & American Style Pizza Lover
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »
I've put a lot of thought, time, and effort into trying to produce what I consider to be a delicious pizza crust. To me, a great pizza crust is one that could be eaten with no toppings at all - if you don't have a good crust that could stand on its own, then the complete pizza will never be as good as it could be.

Which brings me to my dilemma. I had some friends over for pizza, and one of them had the nerve to discard the "pizza bones" - the edge crust pieces. I have no problem with people who do this with flavorless, cardboard-like pizza. But I put my heart and soul into that crust, and to see it carelessly discarded... I wanted to strap him to a chair and cram it down his throat!  :angel:

So, what say you, forum members? Should I ever bother to invite this crust-neglecter back again to continue stabbing me in the heart?

__Jason

His reaction was perfectly normal.

If you're cooking for others, you generally have to find the middle ground between your taste and theirs. Sometimes you have to take the time to develop their palette for different pizzas in the same way one develops their palette for wine or chocolate, resulting in a greater appreciation for the food.

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »
Why get offended. I run into this all the time. Somebody is allergic to pepper, somebody is vegetarian, seafood allergies etc. And some have teeth or chewing problems.
I invite people because I like them; otherwise why invite them?
I tell people that if they don't like a particular pizza or any other food that I make let me know and I'll make reasonable accommodation the next time.
Also keep in mind when you have a party, that there is going to be waste, whether it's the crust or some other food. Don't sweat it, not everybody is going to like everything you make. Enjoy the cooking, enjoy your friends.

Pat