Author Topic: What to do when a guest offends you?  (Read 3439 times)

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Re: What to do when a guest offends you?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »
Also I think 99% of people rarely get great pizza and are used to tossing the bones of frozen pizzas and cheap takeout/delivery pizzas that I would toss too ???

That's a good point, Jon. Maybe they're not evil... just uneducated in the ways of great pizza.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline patnugent

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 09:45:04 AM »
Included in our wedding vows was the promise that I would get all of my wife's pizza bones.  At this point in time, the dough we make is good enough where I have to hold this over her head so she doesn't eat them.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
My wife is a HUGE pizza fan, but never eats the bones.  She loves the sauce and cheese and dough.

No problem with me.  Now that I am making my OWN pizza, more crust for MEEEEEEEEE!

And the dogs have become pizza fans too, so now I have to fight the dogs for the bones!

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »
 that bothers me to. what i do is offer chili oil or a good olive oil to finish the bones in. i find that although the dough can be delicious i look at it as bread and i do not eat bread without butter, olive oil or a dipping oil.
 the other advantage to this is you can push your friend a little in a nice way to eat the bones. then if he refuses break his arm :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 08:16:36 PM »
  then if he refuses break his arm :-D
Exactly.... 8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 02:28:45 AM »
I've put a lot of thought, time, and effort into trying to produce what I consider to be a delicious pizza crust. To me, a great pizza crust is one that could be eaten with no toppings at all - if you don't have a good crust that could stand on its own, then the complete pizza will never be as good as it could be.

Which brings me to my dilemma. I had some friends over for pizza, and one of them had the nerve to discard the "pizza bones" - the edge crust pieces. I have no problem with people who do this with flavorless, cardboard-like pizza. But I put my heart and soul into that crust, and to see it carelessly discarded... I wanted to strap him to a chair and cram it down his throat!  :angel:

So, what say you, forum members? Should I ever bother to invite this crust-neglecter back again to continue stabbing me in the heart?

__Jason

I would have to start by reminding you that these are your friends that you invited to your house. I am sure that you value their friendship more than your pizza crust. Therefore, try to remember that everyone has different tastes for food. It would appear that they are not doing this on purpose to make you mad. Again, if you value their friendship, then let go of the pizza crust issue. It's only dough.

Also, when i read your comments, i am reminded of a Pizzeria when i was a kid growing up. This place made some of the best Sicilian style pizzas.  The pizza was cooked in a rectangular shaped pizza pan and sold by the slice as well. Some people, like me, wanted the corner pieces, while other people wanted the middle slices without any crust on them. Everybody was different, but I never remember the Pizzeria Cook/Owner ever complaining about anyone's choices. He just served what people what they wanted. Guess what, we always came back for more pizza.

My Point: let your friends eat the pieces or parts of your pizza that they want. Life is too short to lose good friends.

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 02:10:56 PM »
My wife and son eat the bones 1st.  Lol guess I'm just lucky.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »
I also host lots of parties, with men and their wives,  all concerned about carbs, and they clear their plate, every time.
I just don't have leftover bones. None.
My secret...well it's a damm fine crust, thin, light and just a bit crunchy and the guests can't resist.
When I say light, I make my 12" pies around 170-180 grams.
When I say thin, it's almost as thin as I can stretch it.
When I say crispy, my wheel sings  a bit as it cuts the bottom and the cornicione.

When I do dine out for pizza , for some very authentic Neapolitan pies, I look around at the other diners and my own plates, and I see bones everywhere.

Maybe it's not the guests.
Make those pies so good they can't stop eating.

Perry
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:27:27 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »
I also host lots of parties, with men and their wives,  all concerned about carbs, and they clear their plate, every time.
I just don't have leftover bones. None.
My secret...well it's a damm fine crust, thin, light and just a bit crunchy and the guests can't resist.
When I say light, I make my 12" pies around 170-180 grams.
When I say thin, it's almost as thin as I can stretch it.
When I say crispy, my wheel sings  a bit as it cuts the bottom and the cornicione.

When I do dine out for pizza , for some very authentic Neapolitan pies, I look around at the other diners and my own plates, and I see bones everywhere.

Maybe it's not the guests.
Make those pies so good they can't stop eating.

Perry
Ouch.... :o

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »
Perry,

Your crusts are very lightweight (around 6 ounces) and very thin (with a thickness factor of around 0.05), and I suspect that cheese and toppings are modest also, so I can see how your guests might not leave anything behind.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »
Starvation....that's the ticket!!  ;D

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 05:40:50 PM »
Starvation ?
I don't think so.
I generally make 1 1/2 to two  doughs per guest and i keep turning out pies until they can't take any more.
A typical guy wil eat 1 1/2 pies , and the gals will do the better part of 1 , at least.
They all come out on plates, and guests take slices.
The gals don't even realize they ate a whole pie.
I usually have a few extra doughs at the end, but even when everyone cries uncle, and they can't eat another..there aren't any bones.

Ask any chef how he measures his success, and he'll tell you he just looks at what comes back on the plate.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »
Perry,Your crusts are very lightweight (around 6 ounces) and very thin (with a thickness factor of around 0.05), and I suspect that cheese and toppings are modest also, so I can see how your guests might not leave anything behind.
Peter

Thank you, I think <g>.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 05:54:07 PM »
Perry,

It is hard to make 12" pizzas with a thickness factor of only 0.05, and do so consistently, and not end up with thin spots. That's a tribute to your pizza making skills.

Peter

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »
The pie in my avatar is 3-4 years old, but is still very typical of what I make.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 10:28:27 AM »
Perry,

Your crusts are very lightweight (around 6 ounces) and very thin (with a thickness factor of around 0.05), and I suspect that cheese and toppings are modest also, so I can see how your guests might not leave anything behind.

Peter

Peter,

What's the formula for calculating thickness factor?  I'm curious how you figured out how thin his dough is, especially since I can't figure out how to account for the thicker corncione section...

Thanks!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »
Peter,

What's the formula for calculating thickness factor?  I'm curious how you figured out how thin his dough is, especially since I can't figure out how to account for the thicker corncione section...

Thanks!

Under "T" in the glossary.  "T" for "thickness factor"

http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »
Peter,

Derrick,

Perry mentioned that he uses 170-180 gram dough balls for a 12" pizza.

For a dough ball weight of 170 grams, and a 12" pizza size with a radius of 6", the thickness factor is (170/28.35)/(3.14159 x 6 x 6) = 0.05302.

For a dough ball weight of 180 grams, and the same size pizza, etc., the thickness factor is (180/28.35)/(3.14159 x 6 x 6) = 0.05614.

The above thickness factor values are, at best, guides, since variations in the size of the rims can affect the crust thickness for the rest of the crust. In practice, you can tweak the thickness factor values (e.g., by using one of the dough calculating tools) to achieve the desired thickness of the crust outside of the area of your particular sized rim.

Peter

Offline MaximusTG

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »
And I'm guessing this 28.35 value is the density of pizza dough?
How do you get the dough to become crispy with such a thin sheet? Baking at really high temperature?

Oh, I completely get the disappointment/anger when someone doesn't eat the rim. Or ruins the pizza when they want to top it themselves. *Shudder*

Offline derricktung

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »
Derrick,

Perry mentioned that he uses 170-180 gram dough balls for a 12" pizza.

For a dough ball weight of 170 grams, and a 12" pizza size with a radius of 6", the thickness factor is (170/28.35)/(3.14159 x 6 x 6) = 0.05302.

For a dough ball weight of 180 grams, and the same size pizza, etc., the thickness factor is (180/28.35)/(3.14159 x 6 x 6) = 0.05614.

The above thickness factor values are, at best, guides, since variations in the size of the rims can affect the crust thickness for the rest of the crust. In practice, you can tweak the thickness factor values (e.g., by using one of the dough calculating tools) to achieve the desired thickness of the crust outside of the area of your particular sized rim.

Peter

Thanks!  Was very curious how one went about calculating this...  so when VPN claims that pizzas must be no more than 0.3 cm and crust no more than 2 cm, as they using a a thickness factor-like calculation, or physically measuring?