Author Topic: Jeff Varasano and the flour of death  (Read 6955 times)

Offline JBailey

• Supporting Member
Re: Jeff Varasano and the flour of death
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
Did you guys watch the other videos Jeff is in? He's basically goofing around. Kinda funny that he evokes such a reaction for using the "b" word in vain.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 11:40:18 AM »
.... It just seems like he is talking off the cuff and posting this stuff online.....

John

Just remember this is Atlanta, Ga.  Colored high fructose corn syrup passes as molasses.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
Did you guys watch the other videos Jeff is in? He's basically goofing around. Kinda funny that he evokes such a reaction for using the "b" word in vain.

That's why I said I get a tongue in cheek feeling from these vids-he's just talkin' trash. Either that or megalomania.  :-D
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »
In the below episode he claims Caputo pizzeria is 10% protein, and "00" references mill size - both inaccurate. Did he or the person filming this take the time to verify accuracy of his statements? I don't even consider these as "informational". It just seems like he is talking off the cuff and posting this stuff online.

Jeff is also a bit off on the King Arthur bread flour. That flour has a protein content of 12.7 +/- 0.2%.

On the matter of the 00 flours, Carol Field was one of the early authors who spoke about the grades of the Italian flours at the time, including 00 and 0 flours, as I noted in Reply 11 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,783.msg7226/topicseen.html#msg7226.

Here's the first video of the Varasano series:

I got a big kick about Jeff being given advice not to use the word "protein" in discussing the various flours he had on his table. There's no way that you can talk about different flours without using the word protein. You might be able to talk about gluten but that has no meaning out of context with protein.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:05:45 PM by Steve »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
That's why I said I get a tongue in cheek feeling from these vids-he's just talkin' trash. Either that or megalomania.  :-D
Really man....we need us a yawn smiley.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan