Author Topic: Krust, Middletown CT  (Read 886 times)

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Krust, Middletown CT
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:22:44 PM »
After reading a few articles, some reviews (people either loved or hated) and seeing some pictures I went in not expecting much....  

I think it was about 5:30 when we got there, it was packed already 30 minute wait  ( 1 1/2 hours wait as we were walking out) .....  there are only around 10 or 12 tables ,  bar was full and people standing in the bar area.... we went into the bar area trying to get close to the oven...   I wanted to time a pizza as the various articles I read had mentioned, 1000, 800 and 600-800 degrees  ( i later read that the 1000 was owners home wfo)

we ordered special of the night - white pizza with sausage, roasted red peppers and roasted onions and a red pizza (sauce, fresh mozz & basil) with salami.  The toppings on the special were good, sausage was nicely flavored - red pepper, some fennel, onions & peppers were nice and sweet, definitely some garlic on the pizza.  The salami on the red pizza was cubed, at first I thought we received the wrong pizza, both my friend & i plucked a piece off and ate it, my friends comment was - your salame is better (I buy Olli salame at whole foods) and slice thin.  Their salami wasn't dry cured and wasn't anything special, cubes were odd.  Then we tried a slice of it, my friend's immediate comment was "your sauce is better", it needed a little salt.  The pizza was very good, but not exceptional.  One of the articles said  Garcia sling pies into 800-degree heat. His pizzas start with Neapolitan-style dough: high-gluten flour, water, yeast and salt, which "cold rises" overnight before proofing at room temperature the following day"   You guys may be able to tell from the pictures but I don't think the oven was running at 800, based on the upskirt was it even 600?  It had good flavor and was chewy but not tough.  

The decor.... weird - it was very dark, LOTS of plywood - everywhere - tables, divider walls,  lots of black paint,  ceiling was original high and kind of funky old building style.  Long and narrow space, with divider between bar & dining area.  Very low budget and not very pretty but I can deal with that no problem as long as it's clean which it was.  It was incredibly loud throughout and was hard to carry on a conversation.

the bar... they are advertising as bourbon bar - I don't know much about them but looked like a decent selection, drink menu 4 times longer than dinner menu,  6 or 8 beers on tap & bottles

All in all ,  we decided we'd go back.  Pizza was good.  Decent price wise - I think 11 -14 per pizza,  the drink I had was 7.   two pizzas and 2 sodas, two cupcakes were 41  (the cupcakes were 10 of that & I had paid for my drink at the bar)

Pictures (crappy, place was dark and cell phone,etc)  ....  first is the oven  , 2nd the bar,  third is from our table looking towards oven area - guy on stool is directly in front of prep area, oven was to the left.   the two pizzas ,  the red with salami, upskirt (i think was the special)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:23:03 AM by deb415611 »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Krust, Middletown CT
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:15:13 AM »
fono bravo oven

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »
Thank you for the review. In time we hope to try Krust. I saw some on line reviews and started to wonder if perhaps they weren't properly prepared to open. Since you said you would return, I suspect Krust may have to make some adjustments to improve, but they're off to a good start. Hour and a half wait says something. We'll have to see if that holds in the long run.
I read the Hartford Courant story and always hope for young folks who make the jump to succeed.
Marty

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 07:59:16 PM »
Thank you for the review. In time we hope to try Krust. I saw some on line reviews and started to wonder if perhaps they weren't properly prepared to open.
Marty

that's what I thought too,  some of the negative things written do hold true - dark and loud and my coat kept sliding off the chair  :D  (i'm sure we have read all the same reviews) but some of the negatives about the food seem to have improved.    I haven't looked hard but haven't had alot of good pizza (in wolcott/waterbury) and am just starting to travel out to find the better stuff. 

I do think it's awesome that they went after their dream.   

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »
cold slices in the light  ;)    they heated up well and did not get tough despite the fact they had some chew last night

pizzapan