Author Topic: Dough calculator question  (Read 264 times)

Offline DarqMan

Dough calculator question
« on: June 07, 2014, 01:46:47 PM »
This must be a simple question but searching the forum I just can't find the answer. Are the values given by the dough calculator by volume or weight? In other words, will I be weighing each ingredient out on a scale or measuring it using a measuring utensils?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Dough calculator question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »
This must be a simple question but searching the forum I just can't find the answer. Are the values given by the dough calculator by volume or weight? In other words, will I be weighing each ingredient out on a scale or measuring it using a measuring utensils?
DarqMan,

Except for the flour, water, and cake yeast (aka fresh yeast, wet yeast or compressed yeast), all ingredients specified in the dough calculating tools are by both weight and volume. There are no volume measurements for the flour, water and cake yeast because the weights vary depending on how one measures them out volumetrically.

The conversion factors for the dough calculating tools were based on either actual weighings of many of the ingredients, or the use of generic conversion factors where weighings were not possible or available, or from the weight/volume numbers from labels of ingredients. In some cases, where there were multiple brands of a given ingredient, the conversion factors were averaged.

Some members like to weigh all of their ingredients, but this requires having a very accurate scale, especially for small amounts of lightweight ingredients. My practice has always been to weigh the flour and water, and sometimes oil if there is a lot of it used, and use the volume measurements for the rest of the ingredients.

Peter

Offline DarqMan

Re: Dough calculator question
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 07:05:27 PM »
That's an important piece of the puzzle that has been missing for me for some time.  My scale does 1/10 of a gram, but I don't think it's that accurate.  I was getting varying results weighing yeast and salt.  This has been a big help, thanks.