Author Topic: Barley free pizza  (Read 990 times)

Offline Golddustpeak

Barley free pizza
« on: March 03, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
For several years we have been making NY style pizzas using recipes similar to many of those listed on this forum.

Recently my wife was told that she is allergic to barley, OMG almost every form of flour we've found seems to have barley in it.

We did find some King A "White Whole Wheat" that did not list barley as an ingredient.

Upon trying the flour, with adjustments to hydration, we were NOT happy with the flavor or texture of the finished crust.

So.....

I'm here looking for:
1. Flour suggestions
2. Recipe suggestions

Thanks

Offline shuboyje

Re: Barley free pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
Caputo 00 flour is unmalted, so no barley.  It's generally not the right choice if you aren't cooking in a high temperature WFO because it won't brown, but in your case you could augment with a little sugar and get it to brown I'm sure.
-Jeff

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »
I have recently found a non-malted, barley free flour. If my math is correct it is 11.5% protein, organic, unbleached white flour. I have had to increase my hydration 2% for this flour, the results are very encouraging.

http://www.arrowheadmills.com/

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »
You might look into any "organic" flour as these will not typically be malted. General Mills has a very good one "Sperry Organic Flour" that comes in at around 12% protein. You might be able to pick up a bag from your local restaurant supply.
We use this one quite often without any problems, as was mentioned, if you have a problem with supporting long fermentation times with this or this type of flour just add some sugar to your formula. About 2% sugar should be all that you will ever need.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Golddustpeak

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:22:23 AM »
Well I checked the 3 largest stores in our area and only found the KA that my wife had bought.
So since I had to place an order on line, I ordered some Caputo Tipo 00.

I made the dough @65% hydration and with no oil as they suggest but added 2% sugar as suggested here, for overnight fermentation.

My wife (an ex New Yorker) and I both felt this was the best pizza that I've ever made.
Better yet she had no allergic reaction!!!!

Thanks all !

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 11:03:04 AM »
Golddustpeak, congrats on your pizza, of course with out pics, we really don't know it happened! :o

Just out of curiosity, what temp did you bake at and did you get nice color by adding the sugar?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Golddustpeak

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:24:48 AM »
Pictures, what pictures. Its always a choice to eat or play with a camera that I never remember to have out, same problem with my smoker :-[

At the moment I'm stuck with a residential kitchen oven with a max temp of 550 degrees.
We always heat our FibraMent stone for an hour before using.
The crust had lightly browned on the edges with a few dark spots on the bottom.

I have a couple things I'd like to try someday for chuckles:
 1. Use two stones in kitchen oven.
 2. Use one stone in the outdoor grill which can do 700 degrees.

BTW, we have a couple of stores 60 to 75 miles away that may have the arrowhead else its 120 miles to a larger city, I was just too lazy to drive that far each way.  Next shopping trip to one I'll be checking.

Offline Golddustpeak

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »
Well it's been a year now that I've been using the Caputo Tipo 00 for all my baking needs.
I've even given bags to our friends.

My wife has had NO bad reactions to anything baked with the Caputo Tipo 00..................

Thanks to all.

Offline Golddustpeak

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 09:15:27 AM »
For what its worth......
I've continued my research and have read A LOT of labels on bags.

So far I've learned that if a label says "Organic" there is no guarantee that there is no barley.  Over 90 percent of the Organic labels I've seen contain barley.

Of the white flour products I've found within 100 miles of here only Arrowhead Mills Unbleached White Flour contains no barley.

Offline parallei

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 02:54:21 PM »
Gold Medal Organic All Purpose has no malted barely.  At least the last time I looked.  It does O.K. at 800F.

pizzapan