Author Topic: Traveling to Burbank, CA this week  (Read 294 times)

Offline Mdvpc

• Supporting Member
Traveling to Burbank, CA this week
« on: July 05, 2014, 07:26:07 AM »
My wife and I are going to Burbank this coming week.  Any recommendations for pizza there? 

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Traveling to Burbank, CA this week
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 09:29:17 AM »
If you're limited to specifically Burbank, then it's Ciao Christina. It's been several years since I've been there. The pizza can vary from very good to just OK. The rest of their menu was terrific.

Can you drive a bit to Pasadena?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Mdvpc

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 11:49:24 AM »
jsaras

Sure, we will be renting a car.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »
In Pasadena the suggestion will be Setebello. I've advocated for them a few times here on the forum. They are trying to make an authentic Neapolitan pizza. They don't cut it except on request, no crazy toppings, no hybrids. Is that what you're after?

Offline Mdvpc

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »
Jeffrey-yes.  Thanks for the info.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 08:50:37 PM »
Jeffrey and I have different tastes in pizza.  Setebello makes a good Neapolitan pizza.  If you've never had a legit Neapolitan before it's worth trying. 

For my taste, The Luggage Room in Pasadena is my "electric chair" meal.  Order their salad with salumi, which has thin strips of Salumeria Beliese pepperoni.  Then order a Gladiator pizza which has that same pepperoni, spicy sausage from a local artisan butcher shop, their housemade mozz and Spanish mahon cheese.  The sauce is made with Alta Cucina tomatoes. I order mine with double protein, add green olives and add basil after the bake.  I like mine with some char from the WFO, so I request it.  Their key lime pie is incredible. Mix in a couple of glasses of red wine and I'm a very happy camper.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:52:55 PM »
jsaras, I'll get over to the Luggage room to check it out since it seems to be about your favorite LA spot. Is it your favorite?

Also, Mdvpc, where are you coming from just out of curiosity? And splitting one pizza between you and your wife then going to a second place to split again is better than only getting to try one place.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:54:47 PM by jeffereynelson »

Offline Mdvpc

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 08:11:21 AM »
Guys-thanks for the recommendations.  I will ask the wife which one she wants to go to.  We are coming this week-I am having some eye surgery.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 10:36:10 AM »
Vito's crust haunts my dreams. It's a NY/NJ thin crust.  You come to realize how perfect it is when you're about half way into your second slice.  http://www.vitopizza.com/. Reheated slices are best, the crust's texture is exactly where it should be at that point.   There's a hint of eggshell crunch and it's tender at the same time.  http://www.vitopizza.com/. It's in West Hollywood which is a bit of a pain to get to as there are no freeways near it.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Traveling to Burbank, CA this week
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »
@Jeffrey.  I vacillate between Luggage Room, Vito's and Grimaldi's.  Luggage Room has "neighborhood nights" on Monday and Tuesday (verify).  The second pizza is $5 (must be consumed there).  The corkage is $10.  I'm not crazy about their wine list, but tastes vary.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:40:50 AM by jsaras »

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »
Head to this spot to be certain. "Pizzeria Mozza." "http://www.pizzeriamozza.com" Just over the hill from Burbank. Batali and Bastianovich restaurant. One of the top restaurants in the country.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 06:50:17 PM »
In Pasadena the suggestion will be Setebello. I've advocated for them a few times here on the forum. They are trying to make an authentic Neapolitan pizza. They don't cut it except on request, no crazy toppings, no hybrids. Is that what you're after?

An outpost of Settebello just opened in Crystal Cove (on PCH south of Corona del Mar in OC). It's only been open for a week so I have not had a chance to try it out yet.  Looking forward to eating there. 

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 09:20:36 PM »
An outpost of Settebello just opened in Crystal Cove (on PCH south of Corona del Mar in OC). It's only been open for a week so I have not had a chance to try it out yet.  Looking forward to eating there.

Ya I heard about that a few weeks back. I'd imagine it will be very similar to the pasadena location since that will make it the 5th or 6th location.

Offline FuocoPizza

• FuocoPizzeria
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
Ya I heard about that a few weeks back. I'd imagine it will be very similar to the pasadena location since that will make it the 5th or 6th location.

8th. But who's counting?