Author Topic: Tony Gemignani's Slice House  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Re: Tony Gemignani's Slice House
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2015, 10:05:26 PM »
Peter,

I'll ask him next time I see him, most likely at the end of the month. He's in Italy right now to compete in another World Championship.

However, the slice dough didn't strike me as overly high hydration. My guess is it's in the 60 - 62% range but that's just a guess. I'll get verification on that, too.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2015, 06:58:48 PM »
I received a note from Mike (Essen1) this afternoon about a Facebook exchange he had with Tony G, who is currently in Italy, about the use of pizza screens at his slice shop as opposed to baking the pizzas directly on the deck. Tony's response was in two parts:

So much volume at one time. Can't keep up. Like the ballpark.. At Tonys in North Beach we go directly on the stone. Really depends on the location and layout

and

It's all about timing and getting it off the screen early enough. Not cooking it all the way on the screen. 40% screen and 60% stone

Given the unique nature of Tony's slice business, it does make sense under the circumstances to use pizza screens. With pizza screens, you don't need to have experienced oven tenders, or workers using peels to load the pizzas in the ovens. So the throughput, which is critical in a high volume situation, should be faster. Also, as Mike previously pointed out, using screens avoids or minimizes the use of semolina or other peel agents that can mess up the oven and require frequent cleaning, which can slow down the throughput of the oven. I guessed right on how I thought Tony was baking his pizzas on the screens but I did not know at which point the pizzas were "decked" onto the stones of the oven. It looks like he decks the pizzas after about 40 percent of the bake. At that point, the pizzas should be firm but still allow for plenty of time to get good bottom crust browning and a crispier crust. Many places keep the screens in the oven until the pizza is almost completely baked.

As in any business, there are tradeoffs. But what Tony is doing strikes me as reasonable.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2015, 07:53:11 PM »
Peter,

I couldn't have put it in better words!  :)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
Mike

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2015, 01:20:36 PM »
Nice write-up/review of TG's North Beach place by our local food critic Michael Bauer

http://www.sfchronicle.com/entertainment/article/Tony-s-Pizza-Napoletana-Pies-beyond-compare-6277077.php?t=ed9a4736228af67ead&cmpid=twitter-premium%20via

Nice write-up.  Gets me wanting to go back there even more.  I was only there once (Sept 2009) and am growing more anxious to return.

Thanks for posting, Mike!

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »
Here is another article that highlights how expensive it is to do business in SF, in this case, McDonald's, no less:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/06/03/san-francisco-too-expensive-for-mcdonalds/

Peter