Author Topic: Bobby Flay Pizza Dough  (Read 2522 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Bobby Flay Pizza Dough
« on: March 03, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »
Just watched food network about Booby Flay helping open a pizzeria. If you Google him, you can see a lot of pizza recipes, including dough. i thought this was worth sharing with everyone. Not just this link but Bobby Flay's recipes in general.

TomN

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe/index.html

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Bobby Flay Pizza Dough
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »
This is a one hour "emergency dough" and its hydration is VERY high. Here's the baker's percents version for 3.5 cups of flour:

Flour (100%):
Water (81%):
IDY (1.6%):
Salt (2.6%):
Oil (6.18%):
Sugar (.91%):
Total (192.29%):
TF = 0.0959

And the same recipe with 4 cups of flour.  The hydration works out to be lower (76.7% total when you include the oil) but it's still quite high.

Flour (100%):
Water (71.3%):
IDY (1.4%):
Salt (2.27%):
Oil (5.4%):
Sugar (.8%):
Total (181.17%):
TF = 0.0959

This was one of the first recipes I tried a long time ago and it was an unworkable mess, at least for my skill level at that time.  I would have been much happier if I had come across a lower hydration recipe given by weight.  Thankfully I came across this site and it's been a fun journey ever since.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »
I really enjoy Bobby Flays recipes, but this dough recipe is a bit off. The following excerpt is eyebrow raising:

(Chef's Note: Using bread flour will give you a much crisper crust. If you can't find bread flour, you can substitute it with all-purpose flour which will give you a chewier crust.)

John

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »
Yea Bobby Flay's pizza knowledge is definitely lacking.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »
Man...you'd think he would have done a 'lil reading here after his Malnati Throwdown loss.   :-*
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »
Man...you'd think he would have done a 'lil reading here after his Malnati Throwdown loss.   :-*

What was the Malnati Throwdown loss????  Can you give more details??? Thanks

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »
What was the Malnati Throwdown loss????  Can you give more details??? Thanks
Here ya go...http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7594.0

Offline cheekygeek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 07:33:10 PM »
Newbie here. (1st post after my intro).

I found Bobby Flay's recipe on the Food Network a few minutes before I found this forum and I was excited to try it after seeing that it has a ridiculous number of enthusiastic 5-star reviews. I'm curious about the disconnect between so many people saying it is great and the disdain with which it is greeted here.

Is it one of those "unwashed masses just don't know any better" sort of things?

Respectfully,
Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 08:33:10 PM »
I sincerely wonder how many of the five-star reviews came from people who have actually attempted it.  I think those ratings are directed more at Bobby Flay than the actual pizza recipe.

I'd love to be proven wrong.  I anxiously await the photos of your pizza.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 08:46:37 PM »
I sincerely wonder how many of the five-star reviews came from people who have actually attempted it.  I think those ratings are directed more at Bobby Flay than the actual pizza recipe.

I'd love to be proven wrong.  I anxiously await the photos of your pizza.
Bobby Flay bots....... :D

Offline PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 09:06:32 PM »
I am sure that his recipe is based upon scooping the flour out of the bag (resulting in 150-160 grams of flour per cup), so the actual hydration level will be less than if using 120 grams (the weight according to flour manufacturers) for a cup of flour.

I have found that recipes stated in volume (i.e., cups) go awry when I weigh out 120 grams for a cup of flour. Instead, I weigh out 150 grams for a cup of flour, and that usually makes the recipe work. 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 09:18:18 PM »
I am sure that his recipe is based upon scooping the flour out of the bag (resulting in 150-160 grams of flour per cup), so the actual hydration level will be less than if using 120 grams (the weight according to flour manufacturers) for a cup of flour.

I have found that recipes stated in volume (i.e., cups) go awry when I weigh out 120 grams for a cup of flour. Instead, I weigh out 150 grams for a cup of flour, and that usually makes the recipe work.
Good post Prime.

Offline PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 09:56:23 PM »

Newbie here. (1st post after my intro).

I found Bobby Flay's recipe on the Food Network a few minutes before I found this forum and I was excited to try it after seeing that it has a ridiculous number of enthusiastic 5-star reviews. I'm curious about the disconnect between so many people saying it is great and the disdain with which it is greeted here.

Is it one of those "unwashed masses just don't know any better" sort of things?

Respectfully,
Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska

1. How the flour is measured as stated in my post above.  Any recipe that states flour in cups rather then by weight will be shunned  on this forum.

2.  The fact that the recipe is a 1 hour recipe based upon the high amount of yeast. Not much flavor is developed in the dough in just 1 hour. It's basically a white bread recipe, not a pizza dough recipe.  Recipes on this site typically use much less yeast and "rest" (called fermentation) in the refrigerator for 2-3 days developing flavor.

3. The recipe has a very high water content, which is ok for really hot ovens, but likely too high for a regular home oven, when making a traditional NY or American style pizza. It will work but it's not going to be what you will find in a restaurant.

4. Newbies making their first pizza are just glad to have made it. They are not usually focused on what draws enthusiasts to this forum.  So they rate the recipe high if they are successful at just making the pie 

5. As stated above, the network likely pumps up the ratings. 

In sum, if you scoop and level the flour with a measuring cup, the recipe will make a pizza. But it's not going to win any awards.

There are likely other reasons but I think those are the main ones.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 10:18:13 PM »
1. How the flour is measured as stated in my post above.  Any recipe that states flour in cups rather then by weight will be shunned  on this forum.

2.  The fact that the recipe is a 1 hour recipe based upon the high amount of yeast. Not much flavor is developed in the dough in just 1 hour. It's basically a white bread recipe, not a pizza dough recipe.  Recipes on this site typically use much less yeast and "rest" (called fermentation) in the refrigerator for 2-3 days developing flavor.

3. The recipe has a very high water content, which is ok for really hot ovens, but likely too high for a regular home oven, when making a traditional NY or American style pizza. It will work but it's not going to be what you will find in a restaurant.

4. Newbies making their first pizza are just glad to have made it. They are not usually focused on what draws enthusiasts to this forum.  So they rate the recipe high if they are successful at just making the pie 

5. As stated above, the network likely pumps up the ratings. 

In sum, if you scoop and level the flour with a measuring cup, the recipe will make a pizza. But it's not going to win any awards.

There are likely other reasons but I think those are the main ones.
Another goodie....thanks Prime.   :pizza:

And fwiw...I think Bobby is the best guy they have over there. He knows he`s not Pizza King and would be the first person to tell you that.  8)

Offline cheekygeek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »
Wow, I'm glad I asked. Excellent information and I've learned a bunch already.
I think I'm going to LOVE this place.  :P
Thanks for the replies and elucidation.

Respectfully,
Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska

Offline PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »

Thanks for the replies

If you are a newbie, remember, the longer you ferment the dough and the higher the fermentation temperature, the less yeast you need. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but it's how dough development works.

Offline cheekygeek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »
Thanks primerib. I'll soak up any and all info I can.

I've done some beer homebrewing, so my understanding of yeast/fermentation is more from that angle. (I've got the books "First Steps in Yeast Culture" and "Yeast the Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation").

I was talking with a coworker who is from NEPA and seeking to make the best crust (he likes Alfredo's Pizza in Old Forge, PA when he is back home). He was telling me that he hasn't put any sugar in his recipes. I was explaining to him that if there is a little sugar/honey in the recipe it isn't to make the dough sweet, but to feed the yeast and be converted into carbon dioxide. So your last comment makes all kinds of sense to me.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »
cheekygeek:

It is not just feeding yeast.  Another important function of sugar (when needed) is to aid in browning.

- Mitch

Offline cheekygeek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 10:37:15 PM »
Good to know. Thx!