Author Topic: Bosch Universal Small Bowl Attachment  (Read 2551 times)

Offline kneader65

Bosch Universal Small Bowl Attachment
« on: March 05, 2013, 03:06:16 AM »
Has anyone here used the small bowl for Bosch Universal?I am keen to know how good is its performance in handling batches under 1000gms with varying levels of hydration?

Here is the bowl I am referring to:http://www.fykitchen.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=1690

How does it compare with the bottom mounted stainless steel bowl(without the centre post) in handling small batches?

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Bosch Universal Small Bowl Attachment
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:32:16 AM »
I have not heard of that, and note the site says new product.  It looks pretty interesting, if you get it please post a review. as I may be interested in picking up one.  Here is a youtube that seems to be demonstrating that product
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja90rooctD4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja90rooctD4</a>
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:02:10 PM by Steve »

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:22 PM »
I'd like to hear about it as well. On the fence with my Universal.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:24:38 PM by apizza »

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 03:14:24 PM »
Well my wife advised me to keep the Universal for the times I need large batches. Based on that, I ordered one of these from fykitchen. I like that they offer the bowl with no blades, just the dough hook. May take awhile from UT, but I'll give a report when I do a test.
I did find one site that said you can do up to 2 lbs of dough. Not sure I believe that. My first test will probably be 392g of dough.
Marty

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:52 PM »
This clip -   says 12 minutes to knead pizza dough - which seems awfully long to me.

Bosch Universal Mini Dough Hook for the Slicer-Shredder Bowl - Full

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:20:02 PM by Steve »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
Appears to be the hook they  are selling I have the cutter sherdder bowl so will order one of these for sure for small batches or few loafs of bread.
I like the second video the dough with equal parts flour and yeast  :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline kneader65

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 06:10:40 AM »
Marty many thanks.We look forward to your report on the small doough bowl.

Apparently the small bowl can do upto 6 pounds of dough according to this:

http://boschmixers.com/index.php/bosch-mixer-attachments/mini-dough-hook.html

Must be some space ship plastic!

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
I received the small bowl today and had time for a couple of tests.
  The first dough was for 334g of dough at 67%. This is steel_baker's Victory Pig pizza scaled for a 8 X 12 pan. Added water/oil first and then dry ingredients. Pulsed until ball formed. Waited 15 minutes. I then started a 6 minute knead. After about 1 minute the dough wrapped around the center shaft and no part of the hook could reach it. Scrapped down and a ball formed. Once again I had to scrape the dough down. After that the ball rotated and kneaded fine. After the 6 minutes I thought the dough was fully kneaded. Good so far.
  The next test was a very small 216g at 70%, same formula. I use this for 2 dough balls at 108g for 6.25" round pans I have for focaccia. In this test the dough wrapped around the center post and no part of the hook could reach it. If you see the photo of the hook you can see a space between the vertical arm and the center post upper wiper. This amount of dough once wrapped will fit in that space and be missed. Scrape run, scrape run. At no time in either test did dough get to the top of the center shaft.
  From this I'd say that the lower end of dough for this setup is about where I was, 330g or so. I do feel that larger amounts will do well and hope to test this in the future. My main pizza dough is 332g of dough at 66% and expect no problems with double this. We shall see. Much above that amount and I'd go to the large Bosch bowl.
 So far so good, and time will tell.
Marty

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »
Thanks for the post, I look forward to the rest of your tests to see where this fits in between the Bosch Universal with the regular bowl, and the Bosch Compact. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 12:33:50 AM »
Hats off for clraning all those goodies for 1 Pizza ! only for experiment right onthe low end ? I would fo at least 3 eat 1 1 for the dog and 1 for the freezer !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline kneader65

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 06:08:01 AM »
Marty, many thanks for your report.It looks like the small bowl also has inherited the problems of the large bowl ie.dough wrapping around the centre post.Please post your experience with larger batches as well.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »
Good timing kneader65. Latest tests. I tried a New York style dough at 66% hydration. The final dough weight is for 664g. Followed the same methods, water first then dry. The dough came together fine and then headed for the center shaft. Due to the fact there was more dough, the vertical part of the hook stayed in contact as well as the short wiper near the top. So I guess there was a constant stretching going on. Did five minutes.

I'd like to see the action that is in the video. I tried one more time with the same recipe on speed 2. The dough came together and then bounced around like the video shows. Then after 4 minutes it headed for the shaft and stayed there. My guess for that, based on the feel of the dough, was the dough heated up and got sticky.

I only baked the first dough and the only difference was I usually get more oven spring. I know a lot comes into that so it could be a lot of things. The second dough may become something other than pizza. We're full up. As far as volume goes I think there is room for more dough. I wonder about hydration as far as the stick to center shaft goes. So far that outer arm hasn't done a lot of work for me.

Anyway I'll plod along as time permits. The video certainly is different than my results and I'm not really up on the finer point of making dough so I'll try different things when I can. My wife wants a pizza break.  :)
Marty

Offline kneader65

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 07:22:26 AM »
Thanks Marty.Next time around it may be worth  trying Scot's "double hydration" method ie hold back some of the water so that the
dough is stiff enough to be kneaded well and add the remaining water(say 10%) towards the end.

My family also has said no to pizza for a while.Maybe we pizza freaks need to  get our dogs hooked on pizza :)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »
Kneader65, I will give Scott's method a try next time. Sounds like a good idea.
Marty

Offline kneader65

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 04:54:52 AM »
Marty, take care to add water gradually(spoon by spoon) in the final act as too much water in one shot can form a slurry causing the dough ball to slide around.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »
I had sent an email to the maker of the dough hook with a question about hydration and dough sticking to the center shaft. Here is the reply.

"Hello Martin,
The hydration shouldn't matter; the total volume of dough is what determines whether the dough reaches into the arms of the dough hook to allow it to adequately do its job.  I have found that a minimum of about 4.5 to 5 cups of flour works best."

It seems to me that the total dough weight with that much flour would put me in the large bowl range. I usually like around 600g of dough or better for the large bowl. The video on youtube uses 2 cups of flour with 3/4 cup of water, and the dough did not stick to the shaft. So now I'm confused.
Marty

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 08:48:57 PM »
Martin,  I agree with you.  When I think small bowl,  I wouldn't think a minimum of 4 cups of flour.  My experience with the Universal, is that hydration is important-  the wetter the more likely it will wrap around the center column .  I would guess the same would apply to a small bowl .  With the Bosch Compact,  and 250 flour with a 85% hydration flour, the dough wraps around the sides of the bowl and doesn't really mix.  What usually works is to autolyse 20 minutes or so, and then start the mixer and it does better. Keep up with your testing.

Offline kneader65

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 05:43:27 AM »
If that response came from Bosch,it is absolute crap.4.5 cups will make approx 1 kg of dough and if that is the minimum quantity required for efficient operation,that is a design seriously gone wrong! I hope someone from Bosch read these forums.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
If that response came from Bosch,it is absolute crap.4.5 cups will make approx 1 kg of dough and if that is the minimum quantity required for efficient operation,that is a design seriously gone wrong! I hope someone from Bosch read these forums.

I should have identified the the company. I sent the email to L'equip, which is the name on the dough hook box.  The actual email was from Lori Viets and the address was lchef.com.  It appears my email was forwarded to this person. The dough hook is not a Bosch product.
Marty

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 04:12:14 PM »
I thought I'd try something different today. This is a 70% dough that will produce a 407g ball. I want this to work for my 13 x 9 steel pan. It's 70% because I am going to make a focaccia. I refridgerated the bowl and hook for about 20 minutes. After that poured in water at 50 deg. The flour was at about 65 deg. Added sugar,oil and yeast. Combined, and then a 15 minute autolyse, in the refridgerator. I then added salt and kneaded for 6 minutes. No stick to the center post. It grabbed a couple of times, but immediatly released. The ball in action pretty much looked like the video. The finished dough was about 64 deg.

The dough certainly appeared well kneaded to me. I'll bake tomorrow. It looks like the cold dough prevented the sticking at this hydration. I may continue these tests with a smaller amount of dough. At least I'm happy with today's results.
Marty

pizzapan