Author Topic: Cheese is seriously frustrating me in trying to improve my pizza  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Cheese is seriously frustrating me in trying to improve my pizza
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »
Bob,

LOL. I saw the smiley but was just having a little fun with you. I have never read the book but unless it is periodically updated, it is perhaps a bit stale at this point.

Peter
Well gee wiz Alfalfa, as long as you put it that way I'll jus continue on my merry smiling way.  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Gang
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »
The book, The Art of Pizza Making, has been around since 1991, and people are still buying and reading it, with quite favorable reviews for the most part (http://www.amazon.com/Art-Pizza-Making-Secrets-Recipes/dp/0963203401/?tag=pizzamaking-20). So, "evil" may be too strong a word.

Peter, while a book like this, like many others, might be fine for someone looking to make average pizza, for the New York expatriate seeking something authentic (such as the OP), though, "evil" is definitely not too strong of a word. It's books like these that can set back serious pizza students months, if not years. It's much harder, imo, to unlearn bad information then it is to start from a blank slate.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »
It's much harder, imo, to unlearn bad information then it is to start from a blank slate.
^^^

THAT.......is more true than most know and goes far and wide beyond cooking and pizza!!
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 04:08:50 PM »
elohel I like Boar's Head Mozz. The super market deli has it here. Something to try.

Not cheese related. I have never used your flour,  but it seems to me that mixing dough in a food processor for "a few minutes" is excessive. Doesn't it get pretty hot? When I do use mine, I'm at about 45 seconds to a minute and that's with cold water.
Marty

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 05:04:26 PM »
Peter, while a book like this, like many others, might be fine for someone looking to make average pizza, for the New York expatriate seeking something authentic (such as the OP), though, "evil" is definitely not too strong of a word. It's books like these that can set back serious pizza students months, if not years. It's much harder, imo, to unlearn bad information then it is to start from a blank slate.
Scott,

I have never read the book to be able to comment on it intelligently. Have you? I did a search on the forum and there are quite a few hits under the title of the book and the author's name (deAngelis) where members discussed the book. It looks like DeAngelis has a little business going based on the book: http://creativepizza.com/images/CPC-CAT-2008.pdf.

Peter

Offline elohel

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 07:14:49 PM »
elohel I like Boar's Head Mozz. The super market deli has it here. Something to try.

Not cheese related. I have never used your flour,  but it seems to me that mixing dough in a food processor for "a few minutes" is excessive. Doesn't it get pretty hot? When I do use mine, I'm at about 45 seconds to a minute and that's with cold water.
Marty

My food processor has 3 settings, one is especially slow for dough that I use.

Last night I tried a new pizza using a brick of Polly-O mozz. It melted pretty well, but there was just no flavor. Second and third pizza I mixed in some provolone I had (unsure of band, was cut up and vac-sealed from a previous use). It helped a bit, but the flavor wasn't right for me. Not bad, though.

I bit the bullet.. bought a 5 lb bag of Grande's 50/50 blend. This stuff sounds like the best bet from what I'm reading. Sadly, I paid a whopping $40 shipped, so I'm not sure if I'll be happy or sad if I find out that I need to pay $8/lb for good cheese  :-\ I'll report back this weekend to see how this new pizza goes. I don't really have the freezer space or else I would probably just buy this stuff in bulk if it turned out well.

Btw, if anyone is looking to try a new tomato for their sauce, I'm seriously impressed with Carmelina's San Marzano tomatoes. Their taste is just simply awesome. I had no idea the reason my sauce was so bad was simply because the tomatoes I was using just flat-out tasted like junk in comparison to these. I only say this because last night I ran out of these tomatoes for my last pizza, so I just used some Hunt's tomatoes I had lying around, and the flavor fell off so much between these two products. I see a lot of people are very happy with Hunt's canned tomato products, so maybe my palette is just off.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
My food processor has 3 settings, one is especially slow for dough that I use.

Last night I tried a new pizza using a brick of Polly-O mozz. It melted pretty well, but there was just no flavor. Second and third pizza I mixed in some provolone I had (unsure of band, was cut up and vac-sealed from a previous use). It helped a bit, but the flavor wasn't right for me. Not bad, though.

I bit the bullet.. bought a 5 lb bag of Grande's 50/50 blend. This stuff sounds like the best bet from what I'm reading. Sadly, I paid a whopping $40 shipped, so I'm not sure if I'll be happy or sad if I find out that I need to pay $8/lb for good cheese  :-\ I'll report back this weekend to see how this new pizza goes. I don't really have the freezer space or else I would probably just buy this stuff in bulk if it turned out well.

Btw, if anyone is looking to try a new tomato for their sauce, I'm seriously impressed with Carmelina's San Marzano tomatoes. Their taste is just simply awesome. I had no idea the reason my sauce was so bad was simply because the tomatoes I was using just flat-out tasted like junk in comparison to these. I only say this because last night I ran out of these tomatoes for my last pizza, so I just used some Hunt's tomatoes I had lying around, and the flavor fell off so much between these two products. I see a lot of people are very happy with Hunt's canned tomato products, so maybe my palette is just off.
Jeremy,
That retail polly-O has really fallen off...I think it is pretty void of flavor too.
The Sorrento WM with some asiago mixed in is something you might like.
After your Grande runs out that is!  :)
I see from your price that you probably ordered from those Pirates over there at Penn Mac...they make Bob mad.  >:(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline elohel

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »
Jeremy,
That retail polly-O has really fallen off...I think it is pretty void of flavor too.
The Sorrento WM with some asiago mixed in is something you might like.
After your Grande runs out that is!  :)
I see from your price that you probably ordered from those Pirates over there at Penn Mac...they make Bob mad.  >:(

I actually ordered it from Vern's as they were a few bucks cheaper after shipping (next state over from me). It's a bit of a bummer paying nearly $8/lb when I see other people paying $2.50/lb for this stuff, but I guess that's the difference between buying a bag and buying a crate.

That's ok, though, you gotta pay to play. Last month I was making pizzas out of target shredded mozz, great value tomatoes and a dough I made an hour before cooking. I'll gladly spend the money if I can come up with a great tasting pizza rather than one that's bland. I'll definitely keep trying out various cheeses, but my family is getting sick of me bringing home pounds of cheese at a time :D

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 05:02:25 PM »
I had the same problem with my cheese.  the only thing I could find was Low Moisture part Skim Mozz which is about the equivalent of Diet Coke.  It tastes like mozz, but it's just missing 'something'.  I stumbled across a thread here about a Papa John's clone.  They mentioned that the chain uses a blend of Whole Milk Mozz, Provelone and Muenster.  Muenster has a very creamy, almost mozzarella flavor but will form a crust if exposed.  If you use this blend, put the muenster on first, then the provelone and finally the mozzarella.  This is an extremely flavorful cheese and if you really want to up the flavor notch a bit, add a little parmesan as well with the muenster.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »
DustinA,

Papa John's does not use Muenster cheese. You may be thinking of Little Caesars which, I understand, has used a blend of Muenster and mozzarella cheeses.

Peter

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 11:58:21 PM »
Go to eatwisconsincheese.com and here you will find the winners of the US and World Champion mozzarella cheeses. Many of the masters are from wisconsin and you can find fantastic mozzarella from the state in many of the dairies and co-ops. Like you I was disappointed with all he mozzarella I found, unil I tried the champion level cheeses.  The difference is shocking. You can look back over the last 5 years and see who the winners are, then find and sample each to make up your mind.  It will be worth the effort! The big player in mozzarella is Rodger Krohn at Agropur in Luxemburg, Wi.  Foremost farms is also a winner. Many of these distribute cheese nationally.

My personal favorite is a blend.

30% Low moisture Part Skim mozzarella
30% mild Provolone
20% Low moisture whole mozzarella
20% mild white cheddar

I also sprinkle fresh grated domestic parm on top of the blend prior to baking.

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 11:34:38 AM »
I found this cheese at Costco I like it a lot and it is really reasonable. I think its $11.59 for a 5 pound block. Can also find a 3 pack of Cento SM whole peeled Tomatoes there in a 3 pack for $8.99. these are New Jersey prices not sure if it varies by state. Hope that helps.
Sam

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »
I found this cheese at Costco I like it a lot and it is really reasonable. I think its $11.59 for a 5 pound block.

Let us know how you like the Frigo.  I have passed it on many a trip to Costco but never needed cheese.  Yesterday I bought the wholesale equivalent of Frigo at RD, which is the Saputo brand.  I'll be using it tomorrow night on my pies and cannot wait to try it.

I have experimented with the following cheeses:

-Restaurant Depot's house brand Supremo Italiano shredded three cheese blend 80% mozzarella, 10% provolone and 10% mild white cheddar it is my favorite of all the shredded bags I've tried.

-RD SI shredded NY blend which is probably the same as Grande's East Coast blend

-RD SI shredded WM LM mozzarella (these 5lb. Bags are around $12 at my local RD)

-RD WM LM loaf mozzarella also around $12

-Grande WM LM loaf mozzarella $28

IMO there was no taste or melting difference between the Supremo Italiano loaf and the Grande loaf.  I will not buy Grande again.

After I try the Saputo brand, my next cheese to try is Calabro which I can find at my local Whole Foods Market, thanks to a suggestion from a fellow forum member  ;D.  The other one is F&A brand which is sold by a local wholesaler but they refuse to split cases  >:( and I'm not going to freeze cheese.  Those mean ole pirates at PennMac sell it at $42 plus a million dollars for shipping.  The search goes on...

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Online GarlicLover

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 08:16:28 PM »
Have you tried Edamer cheese?

I also don't have much luck with Mozzarella here in Germany, but maybe I should try a different type/brand of Mozzarella.

For now I'll stick with my combination of Edamer & Tilsiter.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:18:51 PM by GarlicLover »

pizzapan