Author Topic: A Reefkeeper's Neapolitan Journey  (Read 4226 times)

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
Re: A Reefkeeper's Neapolitan Journey
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2014, 12:09:45 PM »
Sadly, it isn't like it used to be.  All the cartel-related violence has definitely changed things. 
It's evolution, baby

Offline rsaha

• I'm so confused...
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
I'm a reef keeper too. I never really made the connection but it is a similar quest. Trying to make something wonderful while juggling many, many variables. No wonder I was almost instantly hooked. I came here less than three months ago trying to make pizza on a big green egg work. I always had a dream of having a WFO and planned to build one some day. I stumbled across the Blackstone thread and was able to get one to my surprise here in Ottawa, Canada. First couple attempts were pretty good by BGE/oven standards and then I found TxCraig and starting learning about Neapolitan pizza. My wife and I have made about 10lbs of flour's worth of pizza since then. It's a lot of fun and something we enjoy doing together so this is turning out to be a great hobby.

I don't have a recent FTS so here's a pic of my clowns and the only pizza picture I have taken thus far (i seem to eat them before I remember to reach for a camera). Still a long way to go by the pics on this forum but we are learning things all the time. Clowns taken with an SLR but pizza with cell phone...

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »
That looks great! Keep posting! Bake on, dude!

Offline rsaha

• I'm so confused...
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »
This is my third attempt to reply??? I am trying without an attachment to see if that works. If there's three related posts from me that's why.

Thank you. I will keep posting for sure. Just have to remember to pull out the camera before I launch.

Jason, on a reef keeping front I had an EV-120 for many years :)

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »
Ah, nice!  I hope the EV-120 worked well for you.  Keep the photos coming..
It's evolution, baby

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2014, 12:11:21 PM »
Some new photos from last night's bake..  I tried a new dough opening technique that involved some gentle flip and slaps, which helped with the problem of thin spots in the middle of the skin.  I also tried to keep the cornicione less puffy and more chaotically shaped, using Dylan's pies as an example of a nice balance between symmetry and chaos.  I wasn't really successful on that front, and I can see this taking many months to figure out. 

Still having launch issues, especially on these pies with a lot of heavy toppings.

Tried out some new topping combinations for fun.  No tomato-based pies here, which was probably a mistake.  I love the white pies, but 6 in a row was a bit much.

1.  UPN 'Apollonia' w/ bufala, diced sopressata, fresh egg, basil, EVOO, Maldon salt and pepper
2.  'Kid's pie' w/ EVOO, bagged Mex-blend, capicola
3.  'Adobo' w/ EVOO, bufala, pork belly-adobo, roasted shishito peppers, scallions
4.  'Surf-Mex' w/ queso quesadilla, EVOO, minced garlic, roasted poblano, whole shrimp
5.  'Ham & Cheese' w/ EVOO, gruyere, serrano ham, and parm post-bake
6.  'Leftovers' w/ EVOO, bufala, sopressata, jalapeno, and Calabrian chili/oil
It's evolution, baby

Offline csafranek

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
Look great. How was the upn clone?

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
Nice pies and topping combos.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2014, 01:03:20 PM »
I especially like the char #3...very nice!
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2014, 06:10:15 PM »
Look great. How was the upn clone?

This was probably my favorite of the night.  The flavors balance each other really well and the egg adds ain interesting touch.
It's evolution, baby

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »
Nice pies and topping combos.

Sadly, I have to admit that the topping combos look and sound better than they tasted, at least in the case of the adobo and surf-mex.  Not everyone agreed, but I felt like both of those were too heavy-handed.   
It's evolution, baby

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2014, 06:13:06 PM »
I especially like the char #3...very nice!

Thanks!
It's evolution, baby

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2014, 06:16:30 PM »
Awesome pies... and thanks!.....now i don't want to pull my balls out of the cooler tonight....  maybe burgers tonight... ::)

Really nice surf style pizza... ;D

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Your pies looked good, brother.  I've got some dough fermenting for tomorrow's lunch, the plan is to surf San O in the morning and then eat a classic margherita afterwards.

And then the planning and hysteria begins.  Next weekend, we're throwing our annual summer party which has morphed into my son's birthday celebration, and expecting about 50 people.  I'm going to shoot for 35-40 pizzas, along with some other stuff that will be made beforehand (curries do well).  I'm still trying to work out the logistics of everything from the fermentation to the actual order taking and baking.  It's going to be fun.

I'm hoping to top one of the more memorable events in 2009...
It's evolution, baby

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2014, 04:39:37 PM »
Your pies looked good, brother.  I've got some dough fermenting for tomorrow's lunch, the plan is to surf San O in the morning and then eat a classic margherita afterwards.

And then the planning and hysteria begins.  Next weekend, we're throwing our annual summer party which has morphed into my son's birthday celebration, and expecting about 50 people.  I'm going to shoot for 35-40 pizzas, along with some other stuff that will be made beforehand (curries do well).  I'm still trying to work out the logistics of everything from the fermentation to the actual order taking and baking.  It's going to be fun.

I'm hoping to top one of the more memorable events in 2009...

Thanks...  Sounds like you should pow wow with master Craig... ;D   Hey That looks like a great avatar for Craig... :-D

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
A couple of new photos, just for fun.  My climbing partner (pictured below) refers to my pizzas as "sending biscuits" since they are the perfect fuel for long days in the mountains.  These were ham and cheese and a Salami/Jalapeno/Onion.  We wrapped them up in foil and on Saturday afternoon, enjoyed some nearly-neapolitan pizza on the summit of Cathedral Peak, in Yosemite Nat'l Park.  A little smashed and soggy, but otherwise delicious!
It's evolution, baby

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »
Wow!  :o That is some awesome fuel man.  8)

Now you boys be careful up there..... ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »
"Extreme Pizza"!

Offline cupcake

« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
The truly extreme version would be to haul the 110 lbs BlackStone up there and make it fresh :)

Truly great pizzas! I'm jealous.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2014, 10:39:53 PM »
A couple of new photos, just for fun.  My climbing partner (pictured below) refers to my pizzas as "sending biscuits" since they are the perfect fuel for long days in the mountains.  These were ham and cheese and a Salami/Jalapeno/Onion.  We wrapped them up in foil and on Saturday afternoon, enjoyed some nearly-neapolitan pizza on the summit of Cathedral Peak, in Yosemite Nat'l Park.  A little smashed and soggy, but otherwise delicious!

Great idea!   I wish I thought of that when I was ice climbing.  Then again, the pizza would have froze solid...

John Ruskin

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2014, 12:12:20 AM »
The truly extreme version would be to haul the 110 lbs BlackStone up there and make it fresh :)

Truly great pizzas! I'm jealous.

Ha!  I thought about lugging the Blackstone out car camping, but this is an interesting challenge..  Don't forget the weight of the propane tank, too.

Stone, I've never ice climbed, that is waaaay too scary for me.
It's evolution, baby

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2014, 12:17:56 AM »
Ha!  I thought about lugging the Blackstone out car camping, but this is an interesting challenge..  Don't forget the weight of the propane tank, too.

Stone, I've never ice climbed, that is waaaay too scary for me.

It's only scary when it's un-bonded waterfall ice and when you pull your pick, water shoots out of the hole...right after you hear a loud crack.

I wonder if I could have rigged up my msr dragonfly into a mountain pizza oven? :-D

John Ruskin

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2014, 12:37:28 AM »
Maybe, if each pizza is the size of a chocolate chip cookie.
It's evolution, baby

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2015, 05:41:40 PM »
Been a while since I posted anything..  I've been working on cheesy-garlic bread sticks lately, using the same dough recipe but experimenting with temperatures and cook times.  I'll post some photos and a description of my workflow soon.  They are addicting.

Here are a couple of photos from the other night.  Currently, my favorite pie is a "spicy anchovy" which is very simple and hits those "umami" receptors beautifully!  I know I've done the sauce right when I don't want any additional chili flakes on top.  This pizza goes really well with a cold IPA on these chilly San Diego nights  :P  I forgot to take a photo of the finished pie, but I do have a shot of the sauce, before adding the tomato.

The pie in the second photo wasn't particularly noteworthy, but it's the only shot I remembered to take.  I had a braised lamb shank/bolognese as a side dish and my guests suggested we try it as a pizza topping.  Added a bit of fresh mozzarella and then parm post-bake. It was too heavy for my taste, but everyone liked it.  I love braised meats in rich sauces, but not so much on pizza.

If you want to try the spicy anchovy sauce, it's easy and really good.  Also goes great as a stand-alone pasta dish.

Heat a good amount of EVOO (1/4-1/2 cup) and add 4-5+ smashed garlic cloves.  Cook them in the oil over low-med heat for a few minutes until they start to soften and become golden - but don't let them burn or get too crisp.  As they are cooking, add 5-6 good quality anchovies and a healthy dose of chili flakes.  Stir everything around and the anchovies will break apart and become distributed into the oil. Next, add a few ladlefuls of unseasoned tomato sauce (I use Cento brand whole San Marzanos and a hand mill).  Stir all this together and let it simmer on low for another minute or two.  Taste it for spicy and salt and adjust accordingly. 

If I'm making a pizza, I allow the sauce to cool and then sauce the pie pretty liberally, adding the big pieces of garlic and all.  Some variations that I've tried (all are good): drizzle of cream + whole chives, lightly topped with grated Beecher's Flagship cheese and thin-sliced red onions that have been marinated in EVOO and salt to wilt them down a bit, or dollops of fresh ricotta and pancetta.

The sauce goes great with linguine; just add the very al dente pasta noodles into the sauce pan and cook them together to marry the flavors for another minute or two.  Add some chopped parsley and parm before serving.

It's evolution, baby

pizzapan