Author Topic: Possible Naples Trip; Suggestions wanted!  (Read 1071 times)

Offline hotsawce

Possible Naples Trip; Suggestions wanted!
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:23:36 AM »
So I'm seriously considering budgeting a trip to Naples. I'd be on a budget, likely staying in hostels, but I'd love to have some suggestions from those who have been or know a great deal and would recommend some great sights or eats.

I would like to see or tour some pizza related things, obviously (maybe see EVOO or mozz being made, etc.) I plan to eat pizza (and other wonderful food in Naples) but I'd also like to see some historic landmarks or cool things in general.

Suggestions and experiences welcome!

Offline derricktung

Re: Possible Naples Trip; Suggestions wanted!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:00:54 PM »
We actually just bought tickets to Europe, and I'm researching the same!  Naples will likely be a 1 to 1.5 day stop for us, and the places we're planning to visit so far are these:

Da Michele on Via Sersale, 13 -    Neapolitan, only Margherita or marinara
Di Matteo (Via dei Tribunali, 94 -      Visited by Clinton, and only a few Euros for a whole pizza. 
Pizzeria Starita, VIa Materdei, 27, 80136 -     Montanara Pie (fried Neapolitan style pie with smoked mozz)

We've got some more research to do where to hit, but from Reinhart's American Pie book and the Serious Eats guide to Naples, these places made our list so far...

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
I definitely plan on checking out Da Michele. But I'd like to tour a good facility that makes buffalo mozzarella, or see a tomato co-op, or tour an olive farm if possible as well...in addition to seeing some other things there to take in the culture.

I'll probably limit myself to Da Michele and another pizzeria then fill in the rest.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
So I'm seriously considering budgeting a trip to Naples. I'd be on a budget, likely staying in hostels, but I'd love to have some suggestions from those who have been or know a great deal and would recommend some great sights or eats.

I would like to see or tour some pizza related things, obviously (maybe see EVOO or mozz being made, etc.) I plan to eat pizza (and other wonderful food in Naples) but I'd also like to see some historic landmarks or cool things in general.

Shameful admission here:

I was in Naples in 1998 and I wasn't yet aware of how much I love pizza. So I did not go to ANY of the places that all of us here know about  :-[

Having said that, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed Pompeii, and you should not miss that. You can even go on a hunt for the "original version" of the Cave Canem I have in my avatar. The ruins, and their historical allure are indescribable...

John K

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »
Thank you for that suggestion  :)

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:59:30 AM »

What an amazing adventure to plan!  We decided to take the ferry boat back to Naples from Positano...in order to catch the train to Rome.  So only passing through.  But I did find this link several months ago of another member's 3-week Italian adventure with pizza in mind.  There are a couple of pictures taken while in Naples...and the photo journal will definitely get you even more excited of your upcoming trip.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19363.msg189466.html#msg189466

Check out Jonathan Goldsmith's website:  spaccanapoli.com, I know he mentions of a B&B in Naples where he has stayed, and you may get ideas of pizzerias to visit ( links to pizzerias on the right hand side of the website).  

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:35:16 AM »
I've been going over there for 20+ years now. My GF is from Germany and has a sister living just outside Venice. She goes there twice a year to visit Momma...me, eh..once in a while theses days.

"I'd also like to see some historic landmarks or cool things in general"  =  tourist traps.

You can see all that on the Travel Channel. Hunker down in a (preferably) seaside village and become a temporary local. Leave all that hustle bustle traversing about for maximus intakus back here in the States...you'll be glad you actually had a "vacation" that you won't ever forget  ;)

Bob
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:37:06 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PetersPizza

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »

You must go to Naples   :chef:
For my pizzeria thoughts http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23464.0.html let me know if you would like the addresses of the pizzerias or any other questions that arise.

For sight seeing Pompeii, Vesuvius and Sorrento can easily be reached on the Circumvesuviana line from the main Naples train station. Along with Torre Annunziata to visit pizzeria Masse, where Ciro Salvo works.
Within Naples the archaeological museum houses a vast collection of artifacts from Pompeii and Farnese collection http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naples_National_Archaeological_Museum . As you can see on my thread, the city is bubbling with music, depending on when you go I expect there will be at least a few concerts at the Music Conservatory http://www.sanpietroamajella.it/ .

-Peter

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »
Di Matteo is a must go, not only for the pizza but also the fried goods...

Stop at Pintauro for a sfogliatella, the best!!

Go to Ristorante Umberto for great seafood...

and visit Sorrento, what a great city!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »
Trying to locate pizzeria masse on google maps.  Do you have an address?

Offline derricktung

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 07:53:21 AM »
Trying to locate pizzeria masse on google maps.  Do you have an address?

Here's the trip advisor link and map on the lower right corner:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g580217-d3707478-Reviews-Pizzeria_Masse-Torre_Annunziata_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »
Thank you

Offline Sirius

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 03:53:56 PM »
You have to go to 50kalo!