Author Topic: My pizza! .. and maybe a question or two "b  (Read 1113 times)

Offline mcgrane

My pizza! .. and maybe a question or two "b
« on: March 05, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
The pizza i just made. Unfortunatly i couldnt get the higher gluten flour (untill after i made this :P ) But it was my best to date. I left the dough in the fridge over night, and just spread it out onto my pizza pan, but the center was very thin.. so i decided to ball it back up and roll it out.. this got me worried. It wouldnt roll out for a good bit, just kept shrinking. But after abit of elbow greese, it was fine. and turned out to be a really nice tasting pizza!
What i wanted to ask is after the dough has doubled.. do you normally reball it?? - or is it better not too?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: My pizza! .. and maybe a question or two "b
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »
The pizza i just made. Unfortunatly i couldnt get the higher gluten flour (untill after i made this :P ) But it was my best to date. I left the dough in the fridge over night, and just spread it out onto my pizza pan, but the center was very thin.. so i decided to ball it back up and roll it out.. this got me worried. It wouldnt roll out for a good bit, just kept shrinking. But after abit of elbow greese, it was fine. and turned out to be a really nice tasting pizza!
What i wanted to ask is after the dough has doubled.. do you normally reball it?? - or is it better not too?

mcgrane,

No, you don't want to reball or reknead or otherwise manhandle the dough after you remove the dough from the refrigerator. During the original kneading of the dough and during fermentation, the gluten strands align themselves such that they glide past each other and form a dough that is usually quite extensible. When you reball or reknead or otherwise punish the dough ball, you cause the gluten strands to be cross mixed and out of alignment. This causes the dough to be overly elastic and hard to form into a base without snapback or tears forming in the base. Sometimes, this problem can be alleviated by letting the dough rest, but it can take hours in some cases for the dough to become relaxed enough to handle again.

Peter

Offline mcgrane

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »
I tought as much once i had it done. it shrunk considerably.. altough after 5 mins of working it, it stretched out to the 14 inch pan. So i was lucky this time :)

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
I tought as much once i had it done. it shrunk considerably.. altough after 5 mins of working it, it stretched out to the 14 inch pan. So i was lucky this time :)
Pete's advice is top notch so I wouldn't attempt to better it but maybe it wasn't so much the working it but the dough coming up to room temperature. It will work much better warm but will cook a little flat after what you did.
Tom

Offline mcgrane

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »
Lesson learned :D ... i cant wait to try again and see the results.. unfortunatly my GF says she cant handle more pizza for awhile :P
Another question.. when i left it in the fridge overnight, i also covered it in a small bit of oil all over, i had seen this in a video.. is this a needed or evan a step that does anything ? I assumend it was to keep air off of it

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:34:42 PM »
but maybe it wasn't so much the working it but the dough coming up to room temperature.
Exactly, sometimes you can save an over fermented dough by reballing....but it will then need to relax at room temp for an hour or so before it will act nice nice.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »
Lesson learned :D ... i cant wait to try again and see the results.. unfortunatly my GF says she cant handle more pizza for awhile :P
Another question.. when i left it in the fridge overnight, i also covered it in a small bit of oil all over, i had seen this in a video.. is this a needed or evan a step that does anything ? I assumend it was to keep air off of it
Just a measure to keep it from sticking to container...mist of spray oil into container works too.  ;)

Offline mcgrane

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:42:08 PM »
Ok cool, i put a light layer all over, but it was just quite gooey when i took it out :P

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 08:46:05 PM »
Ok cool, i put a light layer all over, but it was just quite gooey when i took it out :P
Where is your recipe coming from mcgrane...Chicago section?

Offline mcgrane

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
No, it was something i seen on some tv show.. well what i could remb from it (cant evan remb what show it was on).. and bits and pieces ive read and seen on the net
I add 1tsp of sugar to 50ml of boiling water and disolve it.
I then add 100ml of cold water to bring down the temprature of it and add one packet of instant dried yeast 7g, and leave sit for 10/15 mins.
I sift 250g of flour in a bowl, add a bit of salt, and then mix together with the water/mixture. I also add 1tbp of olive oil and a squeeze of honey once i have it half formed.
I then hand knead it for 10 odd mins.. place it in a bowl, cover with a damp towel, and leave out for an hour. And with this batch, then left in the fridge for 24hr.
Hey presto, i have enough to fit exactly in my 14 inch pan :)
Ive been meaning to look at all the different recipes on the fourm, but with out really knowing what each of these pizza's are (a pizza was a pizza to me untill i joined this forum :P ) Considering you tought it may have came from the chigago section... maybe ill start there :D.
If anything seems crazy in the way ive made mine, please feel free to tell me ! ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:17:56 PM by mcgrane »

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 10:00:44 PM »
I use the oil to keep the dough from drying and getting a flaked skim.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 10:47:36 PM »
No, it was something i seen on some tv show.. well what i could remb from it (cant evan remb what show it was on).. and bits and pieces ive read and seen on the net
I add 1tsp of sugar to 50ml of boiling water and disolve it.
I then add 100ml of cold water to bring down the temprature of it and add one packet of instant dried yeast 7g, and leave sit for 10/15 mins.
I sift 250g of flour in a bowl, add a bit of salt, and then mix together with the water/mixture. I also add 1tbp of olive oil and a squeeze of honey once i have it half formed.
I then hand knead it for 10 odd mins.. place it in a bowl, cover with a damp towel, and leave out for an hour. And with this batch, then left in the fridge for 24hr.
Hey presto, i have enough to fit exactly in my 14 inch pan :)
Ive been meaning to look at all the different recipes on the fourm, but with out really knowing what each of these pizza's are (a pizza was a pizza to me untill i joined this forum :P ) Considering you tought it may have came from the chigago section... maybe ill start there :D.
If anything seems crazy in the way ive made mine, please feel free to tell me ! ;)
Sounds good mcgrane .

For now, you will be fine with putting all ingredients (except water) in your mixing bowl(stir that up) and then gradually adding your water. You can definitely omit the boiled water step, it is not necessary(bet you're glad to hear that).  ;)

Bob

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »
I think your pie looks damn good!!!!!
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline mcgrane

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »
Thanks Mark!... it was pritty tasty :D
As for the boiling water part.. I tought yeast was meant to be in warm water? I just boiled it to disolve the sugar, and i heard boiling water kills yeast, so i added cold water to bring the temprature down. Maybe not then ? I may keep doing it anyway.. good excuse for a cuppa while im waiting on the yeast ha
Thanks tombiasi.. im glad someone said that they did it.. seemed like a good idea at the time.. but wasnt to sure. I might try it next time without just to see the differnece ;)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »
"add one packet of instant dried yeast".......IDY does not need warm water and you should be able to dissolve your sugar in the formula water without needing to boil it if you don't want to just add it to the rest of the dry ingredients. I try to make things as easy as possible.
Bob

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 04:24:09 PM »
I changed from sugar to runny honey so no need to dissolve now  ;)
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline mcgrane

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »
Ok thanks bob. Noted.. ill try it the next time ;)... and i have a squeeze of honey in it too :)