Author Topic: My first try at a Chicago thin crust pizza  (Read 1611 times)

Offline redox

My first try at a Chicago thin crust pizza
« on: March 05, 2013, 07:09:15 PM »
Aarrrgh! I just wrote a post but one of my pics was too large and it all was lost. Weather change coming and I'm getting a headache so here's the short version.
Made a 16-inch cutter pan pizza with seasoned hamburger (out of sausage), pepperoni, fresh mushrooms (don't you hate pies made with canned mushrooms?).
Thanks Chicago Bob for my first formula for Chicago thin crust.
Here are some pix.
Be gentle, it's my first time in Chicago.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: My first try at a Chicago thin crust pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:53:06 PM »
Be gentle? You steal pics from my files and you expect kindness... ???

You did excellent, premo work there young whipper snapper...welcome to Chi-town!  8)

Wow.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »
redox, would you mind sharing what formulation you used for this pizza?  pics are great, but they are even better if people know what they are looking at.   :chef:

Offline redox

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:47:45 PM »
redox, would you mind sharing what formulation you used for this pizza?  pics are great, but they are even better if people know what they are looking at.   :chef:

Sure they're right here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23730.msg241043.html#msg241043
The figures worked perfectly for my 16-inch cutter pan.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:52:55 PM by redox »

Offline redox

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »
Chicago Bob
Thanks for the kind words. I've gotta say that this is one of my favorite pizzas so far. I'll have to try it with sausage next time.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 11:01:22 PM »
Chicago Bob
Thanks for the kind words. I've gotta say that this is one of my favorite pizzas so far. I'll have to try it with sausage next time.
OK great redox, glad you like it. I hope you can get the sausage I have talked about here....http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23471.0.html

Also, not sure if I gave you a good TF on that recipe. I've made them so long I just go by weight...your pie here actually looks quite thick. If you do a 16in again please try about 15-16oz dough instead of 18. Sorry. 

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:38:26 AM »
I've always felt that Loowaters' generic dough (thickness factor of 0.09) is a *bit* too thick.  I think a thickness factor of 0.07-0.08 is just about right for my liking.

Offline redox

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »
OK great redox, glad you like it. I hope you can get the sausage I have talked about here....http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23471.0.html

The package for Premio looks familiar, I may seen it at Costco. I'll look for it when I go later this week. I gave up on Johnsonville when I bit into bits of bone from two different packages.

Offline redox

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »

Also, not sure if I gave you a good TF on that recipe. I've made them so long I just go by weight...your pie here actually looks quite thick. If you do a 16in again please try about 15-16oz dough instead of 18. Sorry. 

What?! I made a Chicago Thick Crust Pizza!  :o
I'll make an adjustment the next time I try one, although this one was mighty tasty.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 03:14:31 PM »
What?! I made a Chicago Thick Crust Pizza!  :o
I'll make an adjustment the next time I try one, although this one was mighty tasty.
Trust me, it gets even better as you go thinner.
Forgot what sauce you used redox...was it puree based?
Bob

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »
I've always felt that Loowaters' generic dough (thickness factor of 0.09) is a *bit* too thick.  I think a thickness factor of 0.07-0.08 is just about right for my liking.

I tend to agree.  I typically use 0.075 for thickness of thin Chicago/Midwestern pizza dough formulas.

-ME ^^^
Let them eat pizza.

Offline redox

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »
Trust me, it gets even better as you go thinner.
Forgot what sauce you used redox...was it puree based?
Bob
I got ambitious and tried Red November's pizza sauce, going the whole MAE route. It's very good but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I used 6 in 1 tomatoes. What sauce do you use?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:00:07 PM by redox »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »
I got ambitious and tried Red November's pizza sauce, going the whole MAE route. It's very good but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I used 6 in 1 tomatoes. What sauce do you use?
redox, I use a real basic diluted puree with only several different spices.
I can tell by looking at the recipe, Garvey's sauce would serve you well. There are a couple items on there you could probably omit if you don't have them and I'm sure it will still be great(the paparica and marjoram). Hope Garvey doesn't get mad at me tinkering with his recipe, I'm just trying to make this easier for you to try. Also, you could use a little extra oregano if you don't have the "Italian Seasoning blend"

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.msg171274.html#msg171274

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
heck of a nice 1st pie redox!!!    cant wait to see your next one!  hey what does the MAE route mean?  thanks!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 10:39:39 PM »
heck of a nice 1st pie redox!!!    cant wait to see your next one!  hey what does the MAE route mean?  thanks!!
Terry, member November's sauce recipe uses quite a few ingredients and is very detailed, uses expensive fresh cherry tomatoes too...it is awesome sauce. Redox is maybe referring to this...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
cool! got it!!  thank you Bob!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 11:06:30 PM »
member November's sauce recipe uses quite a few ingredients and is very detailed, uses expensive fresh cherry tomatoes too...it is awesome sauce.

Bob,

I have tried November's sauce and don't recall using fresh cherry tomatoes.  Maybe you might be thinking about Les's sweet sauce that uses fresh grape tomatoes.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 11:14:27 PM »
Bob,

I have tried November's sauce and don't recall using fresh cherry tomatoes.  Maybe you might be thinking about Les's sweet sauce that uses fresh grape tomatoes.

Norma
Absolutely correct Norma...thank you. I remember trying Les's great sauce after seeing how much you liked it.
Dang...your memory is way better than mine Norma, thanks.  ;D  I used to have a really good memory...people would always say..."boy, you remember everything Bob! "
Guess I'm getting old darn it! I hate it when that happens......  >:(

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 11:35:36 PM »
Absolutely correct Norma...thank you. I remember trying Les's great sauce after seeing how much you liked it.
Dang...your memory is way better than mine Norma, thanks.  ;D  I used to have a really good memory...people would always say..."boy, you remember everything Bob! "
Guess I'm getting old darn it! I hate it when that happens......  >:(

Bob,

I still do like Les's sweet sauce very much.  My memory fails me sometimes too.  That is just the way it is.  Your memory seems good to me.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
If redox isusing novembers red sauce #2 (or whatever its called), the herbs and spices are moistened and nuked for 2 min at 30%.  so redox likely means Microwave Assisted Extraction.  :chef: