Author Topic: Sveba Dahlen Classic Pizza ovens  (Read 1601 times)

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
Sveba Dahlen Classic Pizza ovens
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »
Anyone have one (or three) of these?

We are in the process of purchasing a new location, and there is a triple-stacked set of these European ovens in there.
They are 3-Phase electric deck ovens with a stone deck, with electric heating elements that can be controlled independently of each other, The options are "Top Heat" "Deck Heat" and "Door Heat" so a guy can fine tune his finished product to exact specs. There is also an exhaust damper that can be opened for evacuating heat rapidly.

I haven't fired these monsters up yet, but Gemini Baking products was kind enough to send me the operations and parts manuals for them in .PDF format.
There is not a whole bunch to go on in the manuals, obviously the translation from Swedish to English didn't go so well.

Anyone got these? Anyone ever use them? If so, please share some hints and tips with me such as your starting points with regards to heat settings, and where you found your sweet spot.
Thanks in advance.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Sveba Dahlen Classic Pizza ovens
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:35:55 AM »
Good luck on your new venture. The oven looks nice, interesting that the PDF doesn't list temp ranges, but the advertisement states that you can bake any style pizza that you want?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline GotRocks

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »
Good luck on your new venture. The oven looks nice, interesting that the PDF doesn't list temp ranges, but the advertisement states that you can bake any style pizza that you want?

Mark

Mark,
thank you for the reply.

The original owners of this location, the ones who had these ovens shipped from Italy to northern Wisconsin (to the tune of $25K for shipping charges alone) made one heck of a great pie with them, I was a loyal customer of theirs until their early demise when one of the partners got ill and passed away, his partner spoke no English, not a word, so the business quickly ended. They could have had them shipped from California, but shose to purchase in Italy and pay the shipping charges for some reason.

They had a loyal following of people who could appreciate a pizza that was not what most Americans, especially the backwoods folk here in Northern Wisconsin knew as a pizza.
They did not have any sausage, pepperoni, or what most think a pizza is supposed to have on it, and that lessened their traffic flow, Plus they were closed on Sundays which is a huge mistake up in these parts since we are a tourist destination, And all the people in the service industry use Sunday as their day to go out and get wild, plus we have a ton of travelers who want to feed their kids before the 6-8 hour trip back home to calm them down. so that hurt them a little too.

My favorites were the Prosciutto & Marinated artichoke heart pizza, and the Genoa salami and Gorgonzola was a spectacular pie too. We would go there for their herbed crust and olive oil, and sip espresso drinks with it. They did a spectacular job all the way around.

I plan to offer the standard Americanized pizza with some European options, and some crossover of our BBQ and pizza too.
I may even do calzones, because nobody in this area does them, (since the local pizza hut burned down) and with the  3 independent heating options in these ovens, I see them working out well.

I had hoped to replace these ovens down the road a few months, and go with wood-fired oven(s) to keep our current "cooked with Wood" theme that we already have. But I have a feeling I may like these ovens too much to do that. I doubt any available labor in my area knows how to keep a wood-fired oven fed properly, heck, I've been having trouble getting my guys to keep my BBQ-Pit fed properly, and that is almost idiot proof. So we'll keep that WFO for future options if we decide to open another location (dreams only at this point).

We also have a spiral mixer, traulsen 4-door upright cooler with sheet-pan racks on one side, and shelves on the other, My make-line cooler is not a floor-standing unit, it is at shoulder level and just deep enough to get a 6" deep pan in. A granite dough table and backsplash, the place is set up really cool, lets call it an "Exhibition Kitchen" because it is in the dining room. Our cold-prep kitchen, dish area, and walk-in cooler is out of view.

Sorry for rambling, I am just excited to get out of our current location and into this new building. The bonanza of equipment already there is almost giving me a headache. This place is as near Turn-Key as it could be.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »
How hot do these get? It didn't say on their site.

Offline GotRocks

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:46:22 AM »
How hot do these get? It didn't say on their site.

Sadly, I have no idea on max temps achievable!

The temp gauges are in Celsius. I'm going in tomorrow to do more cleaning and arranging there, and I'll take a closer look at them and convert to Fahrenheit and reply here with an answer.

From looking at the temperature controls, it looks like an "Indicating Controller" where one indicator needle shows your set-point, and the other shows your actual temperatures, then there are "Differential" controls that allow me to increase/decrease the top heat, bottom heat, and for the front of the oven nearest the door independently from the main control.
In My opinion, they have some high-tech controls that should allow me to dial in my temps perfectly. If I remember correctly, 200C-225C was about the mid-point on the controls, so maybe I can take these things up to the 800'ish range?

Did I mention that I inherited a spiral mixer too? I think it is fairly low-end stuff though. The importation/sales/service company from Illinois is gone, and there is very little to be found out about "Impasti" on the interwebz, accept a few complaints, and lack of service and parts.

I see a 60-80QT "Robot Coup" 3-phase VCM in my very near future though. There is a lightly used one at a state university for about $8K that i've been watching for a few years now. It is listed as surplus for sale. I may offer $5K to see if they bite. they typically cost a hair over $20K new.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 01:20:58 AM »
My friend has that oven and turned out 1000 pizzas 3 weeks ago. Probably to 400 degree f.