Author Topic: The Grain Mill - Wake Forest NC  (Read 694 times)

Offline jckesq

The Grain Mill - Wake Forest NC
« on: March 06, 2013, 02:42:54 PM »
I've been trying to find a good source for All Trumps or KASL in the Raleigh/Durham area for the last few days, but unfortunately NC is something of a dead spot for cash and carry and restaurants haven't seemed too keen on selling from their stock.

I was wondering if anyone had ordered from this place in the past http://www.thegrainmillwf.com/read-me-first/hours-location.html it seems they have both KASL and All Trumps, in addition to being able to get a rather large amount of other products I haven't really looked into. The price seems pretty reasonable if you can pick up, $26.43 and $28.60 for the KASL and AT with an additional .05 per lb for the shipping to their retail location from PA.

The order isn't immediate, it's explained here http://www.thegrainmillwf.com/read-me-first/shipping-pickups.html but I'm willing to wait a week or so if it means I can get the 50 lbs. for less than 60 bucks. If any one has had experience with this place, or anywhere else in NC near RDU where I can get some high gluten flour, I'd appreciate any information. If not I might just pull the trigger myself (it's only 40 minutes for me to go pick it up) and let everyone know how it went if there is interest. It's worth noting that they will ship but it's expensive (standard ground rate, I think around $32 to ship it to me) but that they also say orders you want to pick up in PA are available in 24 hours and they warehouse is in Myerstown, PA - which I guess might be nice if you live in central PA.

Offline jckesq

Re: The Grain Mill - Wake Forest NC
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:54:04 PM »
Well I went ahead and bit the bullet, ordering a 50lb bag of KASL from the Grain Mill. I placed the order the 13th, it came in yesterday and I picked it up today. It cost $30.76, 26 and change for the flour and then tax and shipping to the site. It was very easy, and from the looks of the place when I went to pick it up they have a ton of other bulk ingredients so I may very well be making a trip back there at some point for other items. The guy who runs it was super friendly as well, all told it took about a minute to pick up the order and an hour and 20 minutes for me to drive out and pick it up. I have to say if you're in NC and can get to Wake Forest it seems well worth it to order the flour (they also can get all trumps but I figured my wife might question my sanity if I came home with 100lbs of flour). If anyone else makes the trip out there or decides to order and have stuff shipped to them I'd be interested to hear how it goes, not that I'm expecting much since it doesn't appear that too many people were interested in the topic to begin with!  :P

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: The Grain Mill - Wake Forest NC
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:13:52 PM »
JC,

Just saw this post. I am interested! I am in Wilmington and the other two guys I know are mmmph in Wilmington and Chicago Bob in Durham. They may have interest as well. We are definitely in the "dead zone"in terms of food service down here!

I will keep this in mind in the future! And hopefully we can build some momentum up for a NC pizza summit or pizza hootenany, or whatever they'd call it down here sometime soon!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!