Author Topic: Found Caputo in Los Angeles area  (Read 1912 times)

Offline flyboy4ual

Found Caputo in Los Angeles area
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »
For those interested, The Chefs Warehouse in the City of Industry has Caputo Flour in 55lb  bags for 35.00.  My friend just picked one up yesterday.

Scott D.

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Found Caputo in Los Angeles area
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:38:20 PM »
Thanks Scott,

I live in Long Beach, I'll pick some up!!

Tony

Offline oknewell

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 07:38:40 PM »
Scott, Do you have to be a business to shop there, or is it open to the public?

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
It's open to the public.  Cash and carry.  They said that you call and place and order, then pick it up.  You can't walk around the place either. 

Scott D.

Offline hppzz

• http://theravenouscouple.com
    • The Ravenous Couple: A food blog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:36:50 AM »
Claros Italian markets have 1kg bags of 00 flour, several brands, at good prices $3-4 if u don't want to get bulk

Offline Dave42

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »
Thank you for posting where to buy Caputo Flour near Los Angeles.  I really appreciate it.     Dave

Offline cycledad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »
There is a cooking supply store called Serfas (LA and Costa Mesa locations that I know of) that has a 3lb. container of Caputo for $9.90 in the refrigerated case. They also have 3lb. Somolina for $8.70. Be careful, though--unless you keep your eyes closed the whole time, you're going to end up spending some money! This place is better than Disneyland.   Jon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »
There is a cooking supply store called Serfas (LA and Costa Mesa locations that I know of) that has a 3lb. container of Caputo for $9.90 in the refrigerated case. They also have 3lb. Somolina for $8.70. Be careful, though--unless you keep your eyes closed the whole time, you're going to end up spending some money! This place is better than Disneyland.   Jon

$3.30/lb for flour? Have they lost their minds smoking too much medical marijuana? Heck it probably costs less than the Caputo.

Sounds like you can spend plenty of money there with your eyes open as well.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline cycledad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
Yeah, I didn't buy it at Surfas. (Sorry for the misspelling in my previous post!). I did go to Chef's Warehouse in the City of Industry just a few minutes ago and got a 55lb. bag of Caputo Blue for $33.30. As noted previously, this is NOT a restaurant supply store, it is an actual warehouse, with loading docks and locked doors. The staff was very helpful once I got in the door, but before you drop by you need to know: Call ahead. Place your order over the phone before you leave home--they'll pull the order while you're on your way there. When you arrive, don't bother trying to ring the bell next to the glass entry door--it's broken. You have to knock loudly on the glass and wait for someone to open it from the inside. They do take credit cards and cash, but if you want to pay in cash you have to have exact change--they don't have a register or till, so they can't make change. In the future, I'll probably just use a credit card. Once you pay, take your pull sheet outside to the warehouse door--it's to your left as you exit the offices. Ring the bell next to the warehouse door (this bell actually does work) and wait. The sign outside this door says that you should go over to the glass doors, but you've already done that. Just ring the bell and wait. They'll come out, take your pull slip, and then bring your order out on a small powered lift truck. At this point, you're on your own, so if you're not as big and brawny as I am (!?!) you may want to bring some luggage wheels or something of the sort so you can wheel your bag to the car rather than schlep it on your shoulder like I did. Hope this helps you have a seamless experience if this is the way you decide to shop for Caputo.   Jon

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Anyone interested in splitting a 50 lb bag of King Arthur Sir Lancelot from Chef's Warehouse?   I would like some KASL but not that much.  We can split it right at CW.  I'll bring my container.  You can have the bag.

Offline magnified

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »
I'd be willing to split a bag of King Arthur Flour, Artisan Select Organic 50lb if anyone's interested :) if not I might just get a giant bag myself. send me a message :)

Joshua

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 09:22:23 AM »
I'd be willing to split a bag of King Arthur Flour, Artisan Select Organic 50lb if anyone's interested :) if not I might just get a giant bag myself. send me a message :)

Joshua

Josh
I'd probably go in with you on any other KA organic flour but that one.  Thats the lowest gluten content of all their organics
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/specifications-organic-bakery-flour.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:24:28 AM by bbqchuck »

Offline mdrsteve

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »
For those near Burbank, I found Caputo 00 at the Monte Carlo Deli & Pinocchio's Restaurant on Magnolia Blvd. They are selling 2.2lb packages for $3.49.  I live in Glendale and work in Burbank, so it's very convenient!  Now I just need to find a source for KASL near me.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 11:12:48 AM »
mdrsteve,
I found Caputo 2.2 lb bags at the Pavillion's market on Palos Verdes

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 05:25:04 PM »
Just in case someone didn't see it in the other posts about Caputo, the 2.2 lb/1 kg "Chef's flour" red bags are not the same flour as the 25 kg "Pizzaria" flour.   The small red bags are 13.5% gluten and the bulk blue bags are 12.75% gluten.