Author Topic: What does reballing the dough do?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline chaspie

What does reballing the dough do?
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:11:13 PM »
I see a lot of posts in the NY style pizza section that mention reballing the dough some few hours (like 6) before opening the dough and stretching it for the pie.   What is the reason for reballing the dough?   Is the dough reballed cold from the fridge, or is it brought to room temperature first?  Is the reballed dough then returned to the fridge for 4 to 5 hours and then removed again an hour or so before stretching?

I'll be making my first NY style pizza tomorrow night, so that's why I'm asking.  I made my dough yesterday, and it's sitting in the fridge, balled and in oiled plastic bags, until I take it out to come to room temperature.  I figure these 328 gram dough balls (for 12 inch pizzas with TF of .102) will take about an hour and a half to warm up, maybe two hours.

I'm just wondering what is the reason for reballing 6 or so hours earlier.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: What does reballing the dough do?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »
Reballing is often done when the doughball starts to slack.  It often helps to add better oven spring to your end crust.  If u decide to reball it, put it back in the fridge for 6-8hrs then another 2 or so out of the fridge to warm up before shaping your pizza.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »
My doughballs look nice and firm.  They don't appear slack.   Is slackness a function of time since the dough was originally balled?  

I think I'm going to leave them alone and not reball them.  The dough will be nearly two days old, about 46 hours, by the time I use the first two.  The second two will be about 96 hours old before I use them.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:27:29 AM by chaspie »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:29:45 PM »
Reballing is often done when the doughball starts to slack.  It often helps to add better oven spring to your end crust.  If u decide to reball it, put it back in the fridge for 6-8hrs then another 2 or so out of the fridge to warm up before shaping your pizza.

Nate
^^^     chaspie, to learn more about this technique I recommend you search function posts of member John "fazzari".
BTW, you sound like you are fine...how long did you originally mix for Chuck?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline chaspie

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 01:50:06 AM »
Thanks Bob.  I'll search for fazzari. 

I used Glutenboy's dough recipe.  I mixed everything at the lowest mixer speed to a shaggy mass (about a minute), then autolysed for 20 minutes to allow the dough to hydrate evenly.  Then I mixed for 4 more minutes, 3 of those on a higher speed.  The dough was kneaded enough for a bulk rise without any further bench kneading, so I did a bulk rise for 1 hour.  Then I divided into four portions and balled each, and bagged them.

pizzapan