Author Topic: My new Four Grand Mere (FGM) build  (Read 6271 times)

Offline shuboyje

Re: My new Four Grand Mere (FGM) build
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 05:03:18 PM »
If the rumors about moving to Texas are true that is disappointing for me. I was planning to stop by to see an oven the next time I am in Maryland (probably this summer).

Sadly it's not a rumor, Antoine has talked about it publicly here.  On the upside he has also said he will maintain an operation in Maryland to serve the east coast.
-Jeff

Offline tuckerdog99

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 05:19:32 PM »
ForestM
That was what I took from your post
Still the best recommendation is a knowledgeable, satisfied and in this case, well fed,customer :chef: :pizza:
Thanks again
Michael

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 05:36:32 PM »
That's a beautiful oven.
You mentioned that you might tile it, but in the meantime, you might want to consider some sealer on the stucco, once it's fully cured.
Water can wick it's way through the stucco, and find it's way into the insulation and the dome.

Perry

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »
Thanks Perry.  That was my intention, but I had forgotten about that.  I appreciate the reminder.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 11:52:36 PM »
I thought long and hard about whether or not to put that whole part of my experience in this review.  Ultimately I decided to include it because I figured if I was reading this as someone who was contemplating a WFO purchase I would like to hear about it.  Not only that there was frustration, but that it all worked out in the end.

I think you should have left all that stuff out about what you think is going on in his personal life. It is not germane to the conversation and it may not even be true.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I disagree John.  I was writing about my experience.  That was absolutely germane to the conversation.  That being said, I know exactly what was going on with him as he told me.  I was purposely vague as I did not think it was my place to communicate that on a public forum.  However, I also didn't want to just say that he went missing on me without qualifying it.  That would not have been fair.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 11:58:25 PM »
I think you should have left all that stuff out about what you think is going on in his personal life. It is not germane to the conversation and it may not even be true.

John K
Really. Especially since... "it all worked out in the end".  ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 12:04:14 AM »
Really. Especially since... "it all worked out in the end".  ::)

I knew I would run the risk of upsetting the fan club.  I just figured that a honest recount of events would be helpful. 

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 12:04:57 AM »
I disagree John.  I was writing about my experience.  That was absolutely germane to the conversation.  That being said, I know exactly what was going on with him as he told me.  I was purposely vague as I did not think it was my place to communicate that on a public forum.  However, I also didn't want to just say that he went missing on me without qualifying it.  That would not have been fair.

Well OK, I wasn't part of that discussion you guys had, true. My observation was just an outsider's opinion, and a "gut feeling" at that. Sorry if I misinterpreted your intent.

John K

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 12:06:34 AM »
I knew I would run the risk of upsetting the fan club. 

I own a $1200 oven from some guy in NJ. I am no member of no fan club.

John K

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 12:19:15 AM »
I knew I would run the risk of upsetting the fan club.  I just figured that a honest recount of events would be helpful. 
I think the recount of your oven build is great and most informative. And I thank you for that Forrest. I am now a part of your fan club.

But if I ever sell anything to you, please don't say things like "after the check cleared" Bob fell off on you...especially if "in the end" it all gets worked out and we are cool with each other.  Oh never mind man...forget I said anything.
Still a fan,
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline tuckerdog99

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
ForestM
As I mentioned, I am looking at getting a turnkey Breadstone Oven, hopefully the 800c. I have to find out if Antoine offers the raised option in the turnkey configuration.

My reason for the raised option is twofold. First ,as you mentioned, it seems that it will be more versatile in non pizza cokking, large birds etc. My second reason may be the ultimate heresy on this forum but here goes. I was hoping that the WFO would also serve as a faux outdoor fireplace, even when not being used for cooking. Obviously a wider opening would add to the ambience of a visual fire.

Am I off base in this or from your viewing of your new oven is this a possibility? I realize this is subjective, but I would value your opinion.

To repeat what  said in a previous post, I appreciate your full and honest comments, and assure you that your comments made me more rather then less likely to buy a Breadstone Oven. The willingness to report both the good and bad adds credence to your assessment. Also your taking the time to explain possible reasons for some of your criticisms in terms of temporary issues Breadstone might be having, seemed to me as someone going the extra step to not leave an unjust evaluation
Thanx
Michael

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 03:52:32 PM »
The raised option definitely allows for better viewing of the fire.  It's not like looking at a fire pit, but it is very beautiful.  Whenever I light a fire in it I am totally transfixed on watching it.  I think a large fireplace would really be much better for that purpose, but this is very nice, and for me much better than a fireplace.  I also got the brick version to add to the visual appeal. 

I talked with Antoine about a turnkey.  He has them.  I did not go that route for a few reasons, but the main one was that I had no easy access for a forklift where I wanted this to go. 

Offline pete zappie

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 03:57:22 PM »
after a round of cooking whatever i always movv the fire to the center and enjoy the warm glow  8)

Online Chaze215

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »
Forrest, I appreciate your ENTIRE story. I'm looking forward to seeing some pretty pies coming out of the new oven. Enjoy!

John, where did you get your oven in NJ? And what did you buy, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks in advance! 
Chaz

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »
First of all I want to thank Forrest for the thread, and congratulation on your instal, it turned out fantastic.
Also the pictures are beautiful, I may actually ask to use some to put on my website. If I get your approval that is  ;D

Very importantly, thank you for the honest feedback. I am on this forum because like everyone, I have a lot to learn.
Again I apologize for the frustration I generated.
Everything you say only helps me improve what I do and I appreciate that.

I did relocate from MD to TX and in all honesty, that was rough and I didn't do a good job communicate the down time I was experiencing. I didn't even have time to be on this forum  :(
Also the tools Forrest had ordered where on back order and in the mix of things it did take a while to get them to him.

For the stand, thank you again, if you feel it is a little weak then I will improve it. When I build an over cart, there are gussets, it is something simple to do and I will add some from now on the stands as well.
Same think with the complete solution package, give me a few weeks and will have a solution to make it a true "Complete Solution Package".

The great news is that I am now up and running here in TX. I found a nice little warehouse and even a little show room that I need to set-up. Hopefully I will be hosting cooking demos very soon.
I received a 40' container from FGM 2 weeks ago and let me tell you, I have everything in stock. Ovens and tools, ... I even added the 700 Bricked dome as it is a very nice little oven.
I do have the 800 C and B Raised dome if you would like and can assemble it to be Turnkey.

Even better, I did keep an operation in MD with a reputable contractor and friend who has been helping me for a couple of years now. Should anyone on the east cost want to stop by, just call me I will make arrangements.

I am fully operational, ready to respond to your email same day, time of the day allowing of course because I do sleep at night  :-D

I look forward to many more exchange on this forum.

Antoine

WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline tuckerdog99

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2013, 07:48:48 PM »
Thanks Antoine
I will contact you about my raised option question as to availability on the turnkey or the mobile 800 cart
Michael
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:58:35 PM by tuckerdog99 »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 08:07:45 AM »
Forrest, I appreciate your ENTIRE story. I'm looking forward to seeing some pretty pies coming out of the new oven. Enjoy!

John, where did you get your oven in NJ? And what did you buy, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks in advance!

www.grillsnovens.com

I have the Volta 120.

John K

Online Chaze215

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »
www.grillsnovens.com

I have the Volta 120.

John K

Thanks for the link John. Are you satisfied with the oven and the pizzas/food coming from the oven?

Chaz
Chaz

Offline Reep

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2013, 08:09:54 PM »
Great looking oven  and install.  I obviously move a lot slower than some of you.  Being limited to non-skiing weekends has slowed my progress. 

pizzapan