Author Topic: Quest for Flour  (Read 730 times)

Offline csafranek

Quest for Flour
« on: March 08, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »
So I ran out of Caputo Flour and have access to Rest Depot so I decided to try out their flour since I have seen some people on her say it wasn't too bad.  Well let me just say if anyone one lives in Kansas City Missouri and wants a FREE 55lbs bag just let me know.  So my quest to find Caputo Flour locally began.  It started off online and when that quest quickly came to an end I decided to try the old fashioned way.  I began cold calling around to some local pizza places that claim to serve WFO pizzas.  My first place I contacted the owner by phone and he told me yes we use Caputo Flour.   Mind you I did NOT say 00 flour, but specifically Caputo.  So I asked him if I could buy a bag from him he said yes, but he just had to figure out how much he paid for it.  I should have known then to walk away.  Really you don't know your food costs?  So I waited and waited.  No reply so I found his email online and emailed him. He said he forgot, but quoted me $60 for a 55lbs bag.  Well cheaper than Amazon so I was game.  I drove about a half hour to get to this place walk in only to find that they use a totally different 00 flour NOT Caputo.  Awesome!  I start talking to an employee about their WFO and he tells me yeah we cook the pizzas really hot around 550 degrees!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!  No wonder your place is always dead and your pizzas are NOT good.  I leave thanking the employee for his time.  So I run into a couple more WFO places since I am out and about and no one uses Caputo.  Not only that but no one uses a true WFO with just wood.  The couple others I went to use gas only.  Thank goodness I no have my own oven for my pizza fixes.  Well the story ends with me back to where I started ordering a 55lbs bag from Amazon for about $79.00 total with shipping.  On the good side it should take me a while to go through it all.  I guess that is the price I will have to pay (small) to have truly good pizza made by yours truly...  Chad

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Quest for Flour
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »
Chad, sorry for your bad experiences in searching for Caputo. One out of three Whole Foods stores near me carries Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour in bulk, the other two do not. I suggest you check with your WF stores if you have any near you. I have called and asked only to find out that the store that carries it, told me "no, we don't have it." Pays to go in person.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles