Author Topic: Closer and closer to Pepe's New Haven Pie - this week bakes  (Read 2730 times)

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
Closer and closer to Pepe's New Haven Pie - this week bakes
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
Trying to fine tune with the oven, WFO coming soon!
Polack trying to make pizza

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Closer and closer to Pepe's New Haven Pie - this week bakes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »
I've never had Pepe's but I would assume it's a thin, crispy, slightly overcooked version of a NY style?

Offline polishpizza

• New Haven Style Thin Crust Mobile Pizza - We Bring The Party To You, Not Just The Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
close...and not round...the coal oven gives off a distinctive taste as well that a picture can't duplicate..

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 04:54:56 PM »
close...and not round...the coal oven gives off a distinctive taste as well that a picture can't duplicate..
Polish,

I really like that style but have never had it. Yours look very authentic.....you mention the flavor the coal oven imparts, I assume then your home oven doesn't give you that? And do you think your new WFO will...are you going to try using coal in it? Thanks!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
Those look pretty good to me Polish.  Keep up the good work! 

TinRoof

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:08:27 PM »
Not to offend anybody else, but aesthetically I haven't seen anyone even come close to what you are producing on a New Haven clone.  There is a coal fired New Haven style pizzeria here in Metro Detroit with an owner who trained in New Haven.  They win tons of local awards and frequently show up on national lists, with a big claim to fame in Alan Richman from GQ calling there pepperoni pizza the best in the world.  Their pies come NOWHERE near this aesthetically. 

How do they taste?
-Jeff

Offline polishpizza

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
Thanks Shu.  They taste very good but still need some work and then when the WFO arrives it will be another learning curve.  I've had a bunch of people taste the pies and across the board I'm getting 8-9's with some 6.5 to 7.5 mixed in.  I have brutally honest friends and I've asked them to not give me any leverage.  We all grew up on NH pies either from Wooster street or in West Haven.

I've been working remotely with Scott123 and he has been instrumental to this pie, process and formula.  Can't say enough good things about him.  Patient, knowledgeable and willing to dig in when the answer is not in front of him.

We know that we can only go so far with a the home oven.  Coal is not out of the question but that is down the road.

CB - oven definitely does not give that "taste", I assume WFO will be close but my bet is there is no substitute for coal.

Offline scott123

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »
PP, thanks for your kind words.  It's been a tremendous pleasure for me to assist you and your business partner on your quest. This forum has seen some pretty motivated and fast learners, but I don't think any of them has ever matched the breakneck speed with which you've gone from being a beginner:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22954.0.html

to making pies of this caliber. This has set an entirely new bar in terms of what can be achieved in one and a half months.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:37:08 PM by scott123 »

Offline polishpizza

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:37:58 PM »
Thanks Scott!  I'm busting me rear end but without a good teacher I would be nothing.  My goal is the make the best NH style pizza short of making it in Pepe's oven as I can.  I know coal at some point has to enter into the picture.  Maybe I'll be the first coal mobile out there...some day maybe...

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 07:40:05 PM »
CB - oven definitely does not give that "taste", I assume WFO will be close but my bet is there is no substitute for coal.

I wonder if anyone ever uses coal to fire a WFO?  I guess that would be a CFO then. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 09:53:40 PM »
I wonder if anyone ever uses coal to fire a WFO?  I guess that would be a CFO then.  
CFBBO.....coal fired backyard brick oven.   ;D
Hope the LBE guys don't get wind of this...Peter will have to open up his abrv. thread.  :chef:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:55:23 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 11:15:07 PM »
Polish - those really look like the real deal. Very impressive.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 11:44:03 PM »
Polish,

I keep on looking at your pizzas and I am mesmerized. Sure, I don't know how they taste, but they LOOK like the real deal. Even though I'veonly been to pepe's twice, THAT'S WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE!!!

Do you have any ideas as to why one side of you pizza is more charred than the other?Heating element on the bottom, I presume?

I would just attribute it to inconsistent heating in the oven I guess??

When/if you get the WFO I would be happy to ship you my two bags of coal if you want. I got them 1 1/2 years ago and its just a beatch to work with. Needs a really good supply of air to keep it going. I think you would have to have a built in fan mod in your WFO to utilize it. And for someone like me who lives outside of the coal belt, the idea is just a non-starter.

Same offer is open to anyone else who wants free coal. You pay to ship and its yours. My wife will be happy!First one who asks gets it!

But back to the original topic --- You got that NH thing going ON, man!!!

John K

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 06:41:49 AM »
those are looking great Polish!

Offline polishpizza

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 06:52:11 AM »
Serp:

I have been using a combination of 550 preheat, broiler and 1/2 steel plate hearth.  Yesterday we were really trying to get the char and using the broiler and plate pretty close together to get this effect.

Offline Vesuvi0

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »
I've got to try this sometime.  Never had an authentic NH pie but those look absolutely delicious
Vesuvi0

Offline 02sbxstr

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »
Your pizza looks remarkably similar to Pepe's. When might you share your methodology and recipe?

Offline polishpizza

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 10:31:15 PM »
What would you like to know 02sbxstr..btw, I have an 01sbxstr!

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
Those look really good. I love the way pepe's pies come out kind of free form amoeba - shaped, sauced almost up to the edges... I have had some similar looking results on .5 inch steel w/ broiler..
I like using the "party cut"  on these pies....

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »
polishpizza, have you ever tried using some smoked cheese to get a slightly smokey taste? You don't need a lot, perhaps a couple of ounces of smoked mozz or provolone mixed in with the rest of your cheese. Much better if the cheese is "real" hardwood smoked cheese, not the crap you buy most of the time that is sprayed with a liquid smoke solution.

pizzapan