Author Topic: Modification of a commercial electric pizza oven  (Read 2254 times)

Offline The Dub Oracle

Modification of a commercial electric pizza oven
« on: March 08, 2013, 07:50:22 PM »
I experienced that my commercial electric oven could not bake properly above 350 degrees celcius, so i decided to modificate it so it could bake like a wood fired oven above the 350 degree barier.
The oven i bought burned the pizza on the bottem above the 350 degrees, the bottem stone  must be cooled in that way.
This means also that i only can bake bake above 3 minutes and in that way some ingredients are overcooked and loose taste and freshness.
I always wondered why ham and unions wont taste, like they are of bad quality, but that wasn't the case, its about baking time !!!
Here my modification story.

At first it starts with disaster

src="http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss344/theduboracle/1-6_zps56994328.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 1-6_zps56994328.jpg"/></a>

I continue tomorrow  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:01:36 PM by The Dub Oracle »

Offline The Dub Oracle

Re: Modification of a commercial electric pizza oven
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:56:36 PM »
To bad this website does not know how to use image files.
Do something about it moderator  ::)  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:00:58 PM by The Dub Oracle »

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:22:49 AM »
Good morning.
I resized the picture so you can see it directly, in this way the picture cant be deleted externaly, also nice dear mod.

First disaster as i said.

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »
I cut a piece out of the undersite for cooling.
Looks like things never could end right.

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 04:06:05 PM »
This the inner casing, the arrow shows the spot where the elements where fitted, this slit i will use to fit the bottem stone with mounted heating wire.
I am luckey i must say because of this design, the stone of 1/2 inch will fit fine.
In the outher casing i also cutted a hole for easy access for the stone, in that way i dont have to disasamble the complete oven if things go wrong with the heating element. 

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »
I cutted out the bottem of the inner casing and mounted iron tube where the new stones will rest on.
Those are fire bricks used for fireplaces.

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 04:13:26 PM »
mounting the stones on top

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 04:15:37 PM »
I filled all holes with rockwool because it must be airtight, and sealed it with fireproof glue.

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »
The heat sensor i mounted between the stones, located on the undersite so heat is measured at the bottem of the stone.
In that way i have a quicker reaction of the sensor if its cooled.

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 04:19:20 PM »
A vieuw of the rear.

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
I have no picture of the heating element when i made it but here you see how i connected it.
I use 3 relais to switch the elements and a fan if nessecairy.
I must this do this in that way because the single thermostat cant swith both elements, there are 2 fases for both element each 2100 watts.
I replaced the lower heat element to the top, in total 4200 watts of power mounted on that stone.
The thermostat of the lower element now swithes a relais that will function to disconnect if the heat is at the set temperature.
This will make the fan spin to cool down.
I hope you understand, i studied electrics, for me its easy.
It looks like crap, but its functional. ::)

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »
The first test run of the element.
It reached 300 degrees celsius than the groundswitch dropped out.
Somewhere whas a shortcut to the grounding, i replaced the stones of the connection of the element but still it dropped out.
The problem whas the metal inner casing, it bend because of the heat where it touched the upsite of the heat element.
The iron wires that hold the heating wire stuck out, they toched the upper iron casing of the inner box.

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
All stuffed with rockwool ofcause, and all things remounted.
I dont know if i will use the fan, it could be if i must bake more than one pizza.

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »
The first test bake whas not right, the bottem stone whas not warm enough.
Here a movie of the third bake.
Just under 2 minutes baking time.
Tasted great, but still i have to tune my baking strategy.

P1010926

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:22:02 PM by Steve »

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »
I hate to start of negative with all the work you've done to modify the oven but as I've already mentioned in the past you really should work on adjusting your dough and topping style to align with the fast baked pizza you are trying to produce.  The pizza in your video is WAY to heavily topped for a sub 2 minute bake.  I really think your results will come faster if you first adjust your pizza, THEN dial in the oven.
-Jeff

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »
I hate to start of negative with all the work you've done to modify the oven but as I've already mentioned in the past you really should work on adjusting your dough and topping style to align with the fast baked pizza you are trying to produce.  The pizza in your video is WAY to heavily topped for a sub 2 minute bake.  I really think your results will come faster if you first adjust your pizza, THEN dial in the oven.

The original oven cant reach these temperatures, the undersite always will burn.
The toppings are cooked properly by the way, just fine.
I had also ham on it, and this time i could taste it again, cooking longer than 3 minutes will distroy the taste of it, also the taste of the tomato sauce i must say.
This pizza tasted some less than second one i must state, that one whas baked even shorter.
And taste is all i must say.
But i must cut the topping some thinner, otherwise they will be to raw, like paprika and so on.

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »
Here some closer looks  :drool:

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 10:56:58 AM »
The concern with over topping isn't about the ingredients cooking, it is about all the moisture they bring with them and too the pizza.  The extra moisture will effect the entire bake.
-Jeff

Offline The Dub Oracle

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
The concern with over topping isn't about the ingredients cooking, it is about all the moisture they bring with them and too the pizza.  The extra moisture will effect the entire bake.

I understand, but that is also my point in fast baking.
If i now bake with fresh sliced tomato's the wont turn into a swamp like mess, they will stay firm ( i hope ).
This pizza had some moist i must say, but that is moist from the the mozarella i used, normally i will dry the slices on paper towl.
Moist vegetables will stay more firm and harder vegetables "like paprika" i must slice thinner so that they will cook right to.
But moist aint that bad i think, if you put the fresh baked pizza in plastic bag and wait 2 minutes the moist will drain into the bottem, it gets fleshy, and tasty.
Also nice to dip the bread crust into.
I mimic in that way a delivery time in a box, it tastes mutch better than righ on the spot from the oven  :chef:
If i am right the bread whas this time also more fleshy, elastic, i like that taste, must have to do with these temperatures.
And by the way, if i order a italian pizza right here it is never moist, this also must have to do with higher baking temperatures.
The vegetables on it are also in the same way, paprika stays crunchy, i always remember that.
My goal is to bake in that style, the best tasting in town around here if you ask me.