Author Topic: Anyone milling their own flour?  (Read 666 times)

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Questioning authority since 1971
    • AndrewBellucci.com
Anyone milling their own flour?
« on: August 18, 2015, 05:12:54 AM »
Starting to read more about this - two new places in NYC, Hearth & Bruno are doing it and of course Pizza Locale out of Colorado is looking to mill on a national level, with Chipotle's backing.  Anyone out there with real world experience?

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
Re: Anyone milling their own flour?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:25:26 AM »
For home or commercial? I do it at home.  Makes for outstanding flavor.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 09:41:22 AM »
I've been milling my own flour for a few months with a L'Equip Vitalmill. I purchased 25# of hard red wheat berries from the LDS Home Storage Center, it's hard to beat their price... but not the quality.

At first I was leaving it 100% whole grain but was having a lot of trouble getting a good rise for my breads, so I've started filtering it. I bought a $7 filter from H-Mart that catches all the larger bran pieces, the smaller bran and the rest of the wheat passes, but I have no idea of the filter size.

I recently made a focaccia with home-milled kamut and farro (both Bob's red mill brand).

As David mentioned, the flavor is remarkable. It has the sweetness that whole wheat breads sometimes have but without any bitterness that WW can have. The smell of the fresh-milled flour is great, very sweet, and it all comes out in the final product.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:45:50 AM by misterschu »

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 12:20:26 PM »
Isn't Bonci doing this? I thought I read somewhere he was. I know he is huge on flour quality.

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
I've been using a Retsel Mil-Rite for several years.  I have a lot of sieves, but I rarely use them for wheat anymore.  Hard winter wheat will give a smaller granulation that spring and, I think, taste a little better.  I mill enough for a month, then freeze portions.

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 01:03:19 PM »
Isn't Bonci doing this? I thought I read somewhere he was. I know he is huge on flour quality.
i believe he still uses molino marino flour. i wouldnt doubt if he gets it not too long after its milled

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• AndrewBellucci.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:31:38 PM »
For home or commercial? I do it at home.  Makes for outstanding flavor.

For commercial.  Been reading a lot about it lately and wanted to see if anyone here replaced All-Trumps, Caputo, etc. with their own mill blend on a daily basis in an active pizzeria. I know how to make my own cheese and can tomatoes, so this would be the third part of the triangle.  Not interested in milling in Asia, but if I ever went back to New York, milling would be in the equation.

Thanks for all of the other responses!

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• AndrewBellucci.com
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:33:46 PM »
I've been using a Retsel Mil-Rite for several years.  I have a lot of sieves, but I rarely use them for wheat anymore.  Hard winter wheat will give a smaller granulation that spring and, I think, taste a little better.  I mill enough for a month, then freeze portions.

Any degradation after freezing?

I've been milling my own flour for a few months with a L'Equip Vitalmill. I purchased 25# of hard red wheat berries from the LDS Home Storage Center, it's hard to beat their price... but not the quality.

Are you guys doing this at home or in a commercial setting? 

At first I was leaving it 100% whole grain but was having a lot of trouble getting a good rise for my breads, so I've started filtering it. I bought a $7 filter from H-Mart that catches all the larger bran pieces, the smaller bran and the rest of the wheat passes, but I have no idea of the filter size.

I recently made a focaccia with home-milled kamut and farro (both Bob's red mill brand).

As David mentioned, the flavor is remarkable. It has the sweetness that whole wheat breads sometimes have but without any bitterness that WW can have. The smell of the fresh-milled flour is great, very sweet, and it all comes out in the final product.

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 09:45:38 PM »
No degradation.

Offline mrmikemgm

• Lifetime Member
  • Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing!
    • Mr. Mike's BBQ Photos
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 09:17:56 PM »
We have been milling for some time, but never for pizza.  Have had great results with sourdough bread, polenta, pastry dough, and cookies. Keen to try pizza dough with our ground flour.
Favorite Culinary Toys
Bread Stone Ovens SP1400BR
Fast Eddy's FEC-240
CookShack CB048 Charbroiler
PolyScience Sous Vide Professional
HotMix Pro Gastro & Thermomix TM31
Mecnosud IM8M

Featured at the Casa M Bar
Jack Daniel's "CynergisTek" Barrel Select
Russel's Reserve "CynergisTek" Private Selection

Offline trblaze

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 06:57:51 PM »
I grind some berries for my pizza and it works in small amounts, around 10% works well for me.

pizzapan