Author Topic: new member with questions  (Read 139 times)

Offline smithmann

• I Love Pizza!
new member with questions
« on: October 05, 2015, 11:43:24 AM »

Im new to this forum but have been making a Neapolitan style pizza for a decade. I learned from a VPN certified pizzaiolo in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I say Neapolitan although the dough follows the formula, I use a home oven (electric) and my pies take 6 minutes to bake at 600 deg F, so end up to be a bit of a different pizza than a 60+ second 1000 deg F oven pie. 

Regardless, I've followed the same recipe and technique, using caputo 00 for all these years and just recently have had a problem (within the last 2-3 months).  The dough requires between 10 and 20 percent more flour.  I thought it a bad batch, so bought another small bag (2.2k bag) with a different date with the same result. I tried the same recipe with King Arthur and it worked out fine-'normal'- with its expected minor differences.  The only parameter change was the flour.  One more thing, the Caputo dough of late also has low strength. 

The questions are, has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone have insight to this 'problem'?   Thanks.  It's been enjoyable reading the forum input from so many like minded in this regard.