Author Topic: How best to transition from Chicago-mod in oven to NP in WFO?  (Read 793 times)

Offline Reep

I started out my pizza life by making chicago style pizzas in my oven.  After living in CA for a while, I adapted my chicago cheese crust (which everyone loves) and used it to make some Cali-style oven pizzas, including a pseudo margherita pizza on wheat-cheese dough.

Now I have a brand new WFO (still curing), and I ordered the Italian cultures from sourdo.com.  Should I get used to the oven first using my Cali-style pizzas, or should I just jump in with both feet and try the NP style?  I'm a bit nervous about changing too many variables at the same time.  I know it will be a process, but I sure don't want to start out with an epic fail because I was trying to learn too much, too fast.  Or, are there some easier transition pizzas (more sure-fire, short time crusts).

Suggestions?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: How best to transition from Chicago-mod in oven to NP in WFO?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »
If real Neapolitan-style pizzas are your goal, you will never get off square-one without learning how to control your new WFO. I've had mine for over 10 years and even though I had a great deal of fire-management experience before owning a WFO, it took me a long time before I could master the beast. IMO, mastering dough with wild starter cultures is even more difficult and I still struggle 6 years after eliminating commercial yeast.  But maybe I'm just a slow learner.

I would suggest you find a baseline NP/WFO dough formula that uses commercial yeast as a way of learning how to control the oven and tweak the dough one variable at a time until you can reproduce desirable results. IMO, wild starters will only impede your progress at this point. Yeah, you may hit it out of the park every once in a while, but you may not know why so that you can do it again.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:19:05 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Reep

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:25:52 PM »
If real Neapolitan-style pizzas are your goal, you will never get off square-one without learning how to control your new WFO. . . .

Yeah, you may hit it out of the park every once in a while, but you may not know why so that you can do it again.

That is my goal and yes, that is my concern.  Anyone want to recommend a good NP dough using commercial yeast?

Looks like this one in the emergency section would be a good place to start:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12545.20.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:46:41 PM by Reep »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 10:18:52 PM »
I have liked this one from bakeshack:

I've been working on my dough made with cake yeast and this is the best I've made so far.  I like the micro leopard spots I get with it together with a more even browning around the spots similar to what I usually see in pies from Naples.  The pizza was very tender and flavorful. 

100% Caputo Pizzeria
58% Water
0.1% Cake yeast
2% Salt

Hand mixed/kneaded.  Bulk for 2 hrs and balled for another 24 hrs at 65F.

I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:52:14 PM »
This is where I would start....Jconk  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14533.0.html
Bakeshack and Mr. John are on their game too...http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12545.20.html

I would also keep your tried an true adapted Chicago there in the dough tray as a standby while you adapt yet once again. Good luck Reep and have fun!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 08:10:45 AM »
Thanks for the props Bob!
I am an IDY kinda guy in the commercial environment
And little higher on the hydration
Rich is also in Ca. So will take some tweaking
100% caputo
61%  water
2.8 salt
.1- .18 on the IDY

Learn to use the dough calculator for whatever size batch you want  I use it every time!  take notes ,
Tweak- Enjoy,
John

I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 11:32:37 PM »
Thanks for the props Bob!
I am an IDY kinda guy in the commercial environment
And little higher on the hydration
Rich is also in Ca. So will take some tweaking
100% caputo
61%  water
2.8 salt
.1- .18 on the IDY

Learn to use the dough calculator for whatever size batch you want  I use it every time!  take notes ,
Tweak- Enjoy,
John

Pleasure is all mine Chef John, but it is no secret....one should always follow the trail of success.  ;)
P.S. could you please talk a 'lil faster   ;D ....man ,you always crack me up with your "Evelyn Wood's" speed typing skillz dude!!  :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"