Author Topic: Forcella make your own Pizzza session..  (Read 1488 times)

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Forcella make your own Pizzza session..
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:42:30 PM »
I read about this promotion on Slice NY & decided to make a reservation for early this week, as I was to be in NY on business.
After an exchange of emails with Giulio Adriani, plus a call to the restaurant, I discovered that the promotion had ended as of Feb 28-- I was looking for a march 4th slot.
     After sending one final email apologizing for getting the dates wrong,  I was pleasantly surprised when Giulio replied, graciously offering to make an exception for me. I met him at the Park Ave location on Monday night, where he invited me to join him at a table. I ordered an antipasto (grilled octopus-- excellent), some wine, and the pizza that I would make when the time came.
A self –described “dough fanatic”, he patiently answered my amateur questions & explained a bit about his process.
He spent a little more than an hour with me.

A few things I learned:
He uses a "mother dough" to produce a 24 room-temp bulk fermented dough, which is then  portioned about 4 hours before service.
The dough, which was incredibly soft, is about 70% HR; caputo 00, of course; has 3%salt...
I learned alot just by getting my hands on the dough.
After asking me about my own dough making & oven (2stone grill) temp, he suggested that I stick to 62% or lower, given the temps i have available, and increase my salt to 3% from  my normal 2.5%.
the dude LOVES his stefano ferarra oven.. His joints also have both Acunto & Marra, but he said the SF are his favorites..

As you might imagine, he was VERY specific about how things should be done.
"use fresh yeast!"...
refrigerator for dough..."never!"
salt: at least 3%. he says keste is even higher, 3.8%...
His dough opening technique is very gentle-- basically a slap & stretch, but slap as he demonstrated is kind of a misnomer...
He stressed the importance of pressing the dough with almost the entire length of the fingers, not the tips...
Working the air gently towards the rim to create a puffy cornichone...
the spoonful of crushed tomato has to be spread exactly so.... I have to get one of those round spoons!
after lifting the pizza off the oven floor to spin it, he was adamant that it be replaced EXACTLY where it was, saying the humidity prevented burning.

My somewhat clumsy attempt, with Giulio micromanaging my hands, resulted in a decent pie. I chose the Napoletana- basically a marinara with anchovies.
his mozz was very wet... they make it in house.

I asked him about some of his favorite pizzas: he likes Keste, Motorino, Co., Bianco, & Mozza; for a slice he admires Joe's.
He also was very open about which NP NY area pies "suck", in his estimation-- though I will refrain from naming names.
He made a point of saying that when NP is done poorly, it is "really bad.."

Before he left he sent me a montanara-- which was  exceptionally tasty, though I couldn't finish it.

Giulio mentioned that there was a lot of interest in the sessions at the Bowery location, so they will appear again in the future.
He also mentioned possibly doing other classes for "non-professionals".
During our conversation it emerged that he had been through Italian sommelier training, and as I am in the in the wine trade, we had something to talk about besides pizza.

Overall I found him to be an interesting & dynamic fellow-- his next plan is to leave NY --"too hard on you", he said. His goal is to  be up & runnning in LA in a year or so.

-clay

Offline bakeshack

Re: Forcella make your own Pizzza session..
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 12:23:24 AM »
Great write-up!  Very informative!  Thanks!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 12:57:20 AM »
 Giulio Adriani sounds like a great guy and you sound like you really enjoyed your experience corkd...would you mind sharing the price of his personal consultation?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 04:19:22 AM »
The dough, which was incredibly soft, is about 70% HR

I knew it! ;D

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »
Quote from: Chicago Bob link=topic=23836.msg242053#msg242053 date
...would you mind sharing the price of his personal consultation?

Bob
[/quote

Bob, the only cost was the price of the meal. An antipasto, a pizza, 2 glasses of wine... About 70$.
Well worth it for me!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »
Very nice review and some nice tidbits you picked up along the way. Sounds like you had a nice private lesson!
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »
Awesome ! When we were there on the NYC pizza crawl Julio let me step rightin and make a pizza . He is a really. Nice guy . Could you please share the email you used to contact him I would love to get  the list for the next sessions
Thanks
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 09:57:44 PM »
John you have jumped in front of so many ovens. I witnessed one, jeez slow down, lol.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »
Fast, and Sell,  My 2 favorite words  ;)   Its the knowledge I am after Giulio really knows his stuff!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline dineomite

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:58:52 AM »
He also was very open about which NP NY area pies "suck", in his estimation-- though I will refrain from naming names.

I wouldn't name names either, but I always find this part of the conversation informative as well as entertaining.  There's usually a sacred cow or two that gets thrown under the bus. >:D

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
Giulio is a great guy, wen i had my VPN training he was my teacher!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 10:34:26 PM »

refrigerator for dough..."never!"
salt: at least 3%. he says keste is even higher, 3.8%...
His dough opening technique is very gentle-- basically a slap & stretch, but slap as he demonstrated is kind of a misnomer...
He stressed the importance of pressing the dough with almost the entire length of the fingers, not the tips...
Working the air gently towards the rim to create a puffy cornichone...
the spoonful of crushed tomato has to be spread exactly so.... I have to get one of those round spoons!
after lifting the pizza off the oven floor to spin it, he was adamant that it be replaced EXACTLY where it was, saying the humidity prevented burning.

Your time with Giulio sounded as fun as my day with him. Thanks for the reminder! He made sure I pressed the dough...my fingers were so sore the next day!

Offline misterschu

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 11:11:15 AM »
Haha, I really want to hear his list of NP to avoid.