Author Topic: Chicago 2013 Pizzeria Recommendations - Much Appreciated!  (Read 3782 times)

Offline derricktung

Re: Chicago 2013 Pizzeria Recommendations - Much Appreciated!
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions!!  So many options, so little time.  After changing airport, airlines, lost luggages,... 12 hrs later, we arrived in Chicago late last night.  In time for a Laphroig and a French Martini!  Turns out, the Pizza Tour first meets at Pizzano's  tomorrow. And it's literally right Round the corner from the hotel!!!  Who knew!

Tonight, I think we will hit Spacca.  I can't believe all the eating options in the city.  I think I've become a new fan of this city - lots of attractions, and lots of ethnicity - Polish, Chinese, Germans, Scottish, Irish, Middle Eastern, Italians... And it all means amazing food!!

Two full days in Chicago warrants a return in the Spring for a longer stay.

Looks like you had a great time at Spacca! 

Chicago really is a great city, especially when the better weather comes in spring and fall.  (Winter can be painful, as can summer on the wrong days).  If you're looking for more than just pizza and want good food in general, touch base... I'm definitely a foodie at heart, there's a wide variety of "Chicago-only" foods that you'll not get anywhere else.  Not to mention all the ethnic food available! 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »
 sharlene,nice pictures of spacca naploi . are you going to tell us about you pizza tour?any more pictures?

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »
sharlene,nice pictures of spacca naploi . are you going to tell us about you pizza tour?any more pictures?

I will tell you more as soon as I come out of my pizza coma.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
Jonathan really understands hospitality and is so genuine. Glad you liked it.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »
I'm posting a little late, but I did this exact same trip last year right around the same time. I had the same impressions you did of the city. What a wonderful place. I went on the pizza tour and also hit it up Spacca separately.

Offline Cincy_Joe

• A Gravy Train With Biscuit Wheels
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 06:04:05 PM »
Pequod's is the best example of Chicago-style I have tried. Lou Malnati's is the best of the chains. The sausage is best at both.

Also, Piece makes a decent New Haven style pizza.

If you want a New York style slice in Chicago, there's only a couple of decent places. One, Armitage Pizzeria in Lincoln Park has an excellent street slice. The owner is a East Coast transplant who used to own a coal-fired place (Coalfire Pizza).