Author Topic: Does Pizza Hut use MSG?  (Read 4572 times)

Offline sallam

Does Pizza Hut use MSG?
« on: March 09, 2013, 04:03:43 PM »
Hi all
I wonder what makes the pizza sauce of famous pizza chains so tastey? No matter what I do, I never get close to such delicious taste. Do they use MSG (mono sodium glutamate)? wiki answers say it does here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_Pizza_Hut_use_MSG
edit: Pizaa Hut says it uses MSG:
http://www.pizzahut.com/foodallergies.html

Do they all use MSG?
Do you use it in your pizzas? and in what quantity? does it replace salt in the sauce?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:37:53 PM by sallam »
I'm a home baker.

Offline MaximusTG

Re: Does Pizza Hut use MSG?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 05:54:28 PM »
FYI; MSG is also naturally found in a lot of foods, especially things like meat, cheese etc. MSG is, at least here in the netherlands, often declared as "yeast extract" on products.
It tastes very savory, described as the fifth taste, umami.
And there is also no scientific evidence MSG is bad for you.
Commercial food companies will probably do add separate MSG. But I am sure almost all the pizzas on this forum will contain MSG anyway.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:44:15 PM »
I use MSG on a lot of things, including pizza. I buy the big container that they sell at Sam's Club.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline grathan

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 09:33:10 PM »
Is it sprinkled on after or baked in?

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »
Is it sprinkled on after or baked in?
I put it on before baking.

As MaximusTG mentioned, MSG occurs naturally in many foods. It is present in everyone's body. Mother's milk even has MSG in it!

Many people that are sensitive to MSG, are actually vitamin B6 deficient which makes them unable to process the MSG.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »
sallam,

About four or five years ago, Pizza Hut U.S. stopped publishing its ingredients lists at its website. However, up to that point, I never saw MSG as an ingredient in any of its pizza products, including its pan pizza. MSG is a big deal at the FDA, to the point where they even have a page devoted to the subject, at http://www.fda.gov/food/foodingredientspackaging/ucm328728.htm. As other members have noted, and as the FDA also points out, there are naturally occurring forms of MSG. It apparently is only when MSG is added to a product that disclosure is required. In PH's case, it may well be that they note the MSG on its allergens list not because they add it but rather because of its naturally-occurring forms. But we don't know the answer for sure. We would have to see ingredients lists to know for sure.

If MSG is a matter of concern to you in relation to PH, you might want to go to the bottom of the page at http://www.pizzahut.com/faq.html?tab=ourRestaurant and either use the 800 number or the online contact form to get further clarification. If you are in the U.S., I would use the 800 number, otherwise you should use the contact form and note which country you are communicating from since PH dough formulations vary around the world (PH is in close to 100 countries).

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 01:01:06 PM »
I put it on before baking.

As MaximusTG mentioned, MSG occurs naturally in many foods. It is present in everyone's body. Mother's milk even has MSG in it!

Many people that are sensitive to MSG, are actually vitamin B6 deficient which makes them unable to process the MSG.
Very interesting Don,
I usually spice my pizza's individually...lay sauce down and then pinch the spices on top of that. If using MSG, would you recommend I apply it instead of my salt and should I use the same amount in the swap?
Thanks!
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 02:03:24 PM »
Very interesting Don,
I usually spice my pizza's individually...lay sauce down and then pinch the spices on top of that. If using MSG, would you recommend I apply it instead of my salt and should I use the same amount in the swap?
Thanks!
Bob
I usually put it on after the sauce. That way it gets a chance to dissolve. You could also mix it in with the sauce, but I like sprinkling it on the pie because that way I can eyeball how much without measuring.

MSG has about 40% of the sodium of table salt, so if you are salting your pizza (I don't), you may want to cut back accordingly. When I cook with MSG, I usually use less salt or no salt at all. Excess salt is way more harmful to you body than MSG. MSG is often used as a lower sodium alternative to table salt. MSG doesn't just make the food salty, but seems to bring out flavors already in the food. If you taste MSG by itself, it actually isn't all that pleasant, but with certain foods it just makes them taste better, not just salty.

I have been experimenting with veggie-only pizzas lately because my wife and I are on a diet. The MSG really makes them taste better. I proved this last week when I forgot to put it on--We both thought that it wasn't nearly as good without the MSG.

If MSG was such a problem, our friends down under should know about it. Vegemite and Marmite are pretty much glutamate paste.

Offline sallam

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »
I'll try it then. How much MSG do you add to the sauce? I'm making 2 16inch pizzas (using 1.33 kg flour)..
I'm a home baker.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 06:08:05 PM »
I'll try it then. How much MSG do you add to the sauce? I'm making 2 16inch pizzas (using 1.33 kg flour)..
Good question. I usually sprinkle it on after I spread the sauce, so I never really measured it. I would think not too much because there really isn't that much sauce on two pizzas. Maybe about 1/4 teaspoon.

Offline grathan

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »
I ordered this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Aji-No-Moto-Monosodium-Glutamate-Seasoning-454g/dp/B001OCP02Q/?tag=pizzamaking-20

It's probably all the same though? I'll post back my thoughts here on this product.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 08:38:10 PM »
I ordered this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Aji-No-Moto-Monosodium-Glutamate-Seasoning-454g/dp/B001OCP02Q/?tag=pizzamaking-20

It's probably all the same though? I'll post back my thoughts here on this product.

Many grocery stores sell Ac'cent, which is MSG.

http://www.accentflavor.com/products/accent-flavor-enhancer/

Offline dineomite

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 10:15:34 PM »
Parmesan cheese has quite a bit of MSG in it. While it doesn't contain nearly as much as parmesan, tomato pulp has MSG as well.

Offline henkverhaar

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 05:21:26 AM »
FYI; MSG is also naturally found in a lot of foods, especially things like meat, cheese etc.
Not to mention tomatoes. Contain. A. Lot. Of. MSG. All of their own. Naturally...

Offline henkverhaar

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 05:22:14 AM »
Interesting. Do you have a reference for that?

Offline henkverhaar

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 05:23:40 AM »
If MSG was such a problem, our friends down under should know about it. Vegemite and Marmite are pretty much glutamate paste.

And Worcestershire sauce...

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »
Interesting. Do you have a reference for that?

I saw it in the Internet, so it has to be true. ;)

The Internet is full of fear mongers that use nothing more than anecdotal evidence to push their "cause." 

No really, The link between B6 and the body's ability to process MSG was proven years ago. I remember reading about it a long time ago, before the Internet even existed. If I remember right, there were at least three scientific studies that proved the link.

I'm sure if you Google "msg vitamin b6" you will find references to it. Just watch out for all of the BS that you will undoubtedly find too.

Offline henkverhaar

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »
I'm sure if you Google "msg vitamin b6" you will find references to it. Just watch out for all of the BS that you will undoubtedly find too.

WIll do. I spend a significant part of my professional life online, hunting for (scientific) information, so I'm well aware of the BS that is out there ;-) And I consider myself better than average at recognizing it... (never too old to toot my own horn)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 10:49:08 AM »
Sometimes ground celery seed, used in tiny tiny amounts (1/16 tsp. or 4-5 seeds per 2 cups sauce), works as a good substitute for MSG.
But note that depending on were you live it will usually be the seed from lovage or smallage. If I remember correctly in the US it's smallage. All I remember is that the US version has no real offensive odor.

Also the Anji-no-moto is MSG as it was when Accent first came on the market (circ 1950). Accent is now more synthetic (a bit  of a misnomer, I know). People who have reactions to Accent or Commercial MSG may find Anji no moto more tolerable. But always use caution if you have a known sensitivity.

If I really "need" autolysed yeast extract, I tend to use boullion powder which typically includes some form of autolysed extract. And that does the trick.

Otherwise a replacement ingredient is ground mushroom. I can't abide mushrooms, so I can't remember which type is used. I know it's not the white button mushroom. I think it's the one that typically sells as dehydrated mushroom.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

pizzapan