Author Topic: Hell's Kitchen TV Show takes on a Pizza Challenge 4/24/14  (Read 923 times)

Offline petef

Hell's Kitchen TV Show takes on a Pizza Challenge 4/24/14
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:28:52 PM »
HELL'S KITCHEN on FOX NETWORK TV,  Thursday 4/24/14
ALL NEW - The teams must create a unique pizza dish for VIP guest judge Chef Wolfgang Puck
---
Everyone, let's try to watch this show.
Knowing what we know about how difficult pizza
making can be, this should be very entertaining.

The promo for this particular show indicates a
lot of pizza disasters by the contestants. LOL :)

---pete---

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Hell's Kitchen TV Show takes on a Pizza Challenge 4/24/14
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:42:35 AM »
"SHUT IT DOWN"  >:D
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Gags

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!
I notice that they have the gas pizza ovens in their kitchens but only saw them used once.

I've wondered if we ever made it on that show and had to make our signature dish...
He only gives them 30 mins...could we ask for 24 hours + 30 mins!??

"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
I've watched every episode of Hell's Kitchen and I've seen them do pizza a few times.
There's never been any contestant who had any real pizza making chops.

They use Woodstone gas-fired ovens, and they are not very hot. The previews for this episode show massive failures.

Can't wait!
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Online Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 05:51:12 PM »
"You, you, you AND you...PISS OFF!!"
Chaz

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 08:37:01 PM »
I tried to watch it:  un-watchable.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »
I doubt that that many people would have much success with only one oven and 30 minutes.
I have a hard time believing that Wolfgang Puck would have eaten any of it, well I see he threw most away.

Mark.

Offline petef

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 03:09:39 AM »
As I watched this show and saw all the mistakes and mishaps by those contestants, it was like seeing all the same mistakes I've made over 15+ years of learning to make pizza at home. Such as dropping a fully loaded raw pie onto the floor, using a rolling pin to stretch the dough, odd shaped pizza, burnt bottom, under-baked bottom, etc..

It just goes to show how difficult it really is to master the art of pizza making. Given some of the best equipment and supplies they still couldn't make it. Granted, they had lots of pressure and time constraints, but still, these are people striving to be pros. 

I had to laugh when the one female contestant made a comment about how simplistic it is to make a pizza and then her pizza got only a 2 rating because it was raw and under-baked.

I also had a good laugh when the girl dropped her fully loaded uncooked pie onto the floor. Been there, done that. :)

I thought the peels they were using were over sized for the small pies they were making.

The ovens must have been operating at about 500 Deg F because I heard someone say it was supposed to be about a 10 minute bake.

I enjoyed the show, but it was a bit nerve racking.

---pete---

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »
After about 30 underbaked failures you'd think that at minimum one person would have had the bright idea of par-baking. 

Pizza aside, it set the bar even lower for "reality" TV.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 11:29:47 AM »
As I watched this show and saw all the mistakes and mishaps by those contestants, it was like seeing all the same mistakes I've made over 15+ years of learning to make pizza at home. Such as dropping a fully loaded raw pie onto the floor, using a rolling pin to stretch the dough, odd shaped pizza, burnt bottom, under-baked bottom, etc..

It just goes to show how difficult it really is to master the art of pizza making. Given some of the best equipment and supplies they still couldn't make it. Granted, they had lots of pressure and time constraints, but still, these are people striving to be pros. 

I had to laugh when the one female contestant made a comment about how simplistic it is to make a pizza and then her pizza got only a 2 rating because it was raw and under-baked.

I also had a good laugh when the girl dropped her fully loaded uncooked pie onto the floor. Been there, done that. :)

I thought the peels they were using were over sized for the small pies they were making.

The ovens must have been operating at about 500 Deg F because I heard someone say it was supposed to be about a 10 minute bake.

I enjoyed the show, but it was a bit nerve racking.

---pete---

one contestant stated that the pies had to be turned every 15 seconds or they would burn. Hmmmmm hotter floor than 500F me thinks.

Mark

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 12:07:04 PM »
Given some of the best equipment and supplies they still couldn't make it.

The ovens are gas-fired WoodStones. Not the best ovens out there. Uneven heat.
The doughs looked to be high hydration, making them difficult to work with.
I'll bet there was sugar and oil in the dough (California pizza) making them susceptible to burning.

Anything that any contestant said was based on their limited experience.
The odds were against them with the equpment and supplies they were given...particularly when paired with their obvious lack of experience.

Where do they dig these clowns up? This looks like the worst crop of contestants since the show's inception.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

Where do they dig these clowns up? This looks like the worst crop of contestants since the show's inception.

I say that every season. I would love to see semi experienced, professional cooks, compete. How can you believe that most of the personalities and attitudes of the contestants would make a "head chef"?

Mark

Master Chef, starts in May

Offline Gags

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »

Agreed.  If you watch Top Chef and Hell's Kitchen, you'll see a huge difference.
The Top Chef contestants do some amazing things while the HK crew can't see to cook anything correctly.  (I'm sure that's partly due to great editing.)
If you get selected for this show, wouldn't you practice cooking scallops, risotto, and beef Wellington a couple thousand times!!??

It's like going on Survivor and not knowing how to light a fire...
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline petef

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »
Anything that any contestant said was based on their limited experience.
The odds were against them with the equpment and supplies they were given...particularly when paired with their obvious lack of experience.

I agree, this was the worst crop of contestants. Same goes for American Idol this season.

I'd love to see a select group of pizza makers from Pizzamaking.com take on the same exact pizza challenge on the Hell's Kitchen show. Now that would be interesting!!!

---pete---

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »
I agree, this was the worst crop of contestants. Same goes for American Idol this season.

I'd love to see a select group of pizza makers from Pizzamaking.com take on the same exact pizza challenge on the Hell's Kitchen show. Now that would be interesting!!!

---pete---

Not enough controversy and rude behavior. That's what makes the show, in the writers eyes anyway.
Also Ramsey would not have anybody to scream at, oh my.

Mark

Mark

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 11:25:28 PM »
"Dude, I need that wooden thing."

It's a peel you idiot! 

I agree with Tom, it was unwatchable.  The women from the red team were so immature and disrespectful to each other.  Their attitude towards pizza was laughable.  I bet that 8 year old little boy from NJ could school them on how to make a good gourmet pizza!
Mary Ann

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 07:20:35 AM »
Actually that wooden thing is a board, if it was metal we could call it a peel. All those pizzas did look pretty terrible though.