Author Topic: Pizza Expo 2014  (Read 5845 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Expo 2014
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »
Tyler look forward to meeting you, I am also a Mobile Wood fired Operator! I will be working at Wood Fired Oven Bakers Booth #1857 Please stop by and say hello we can talk mobile love to talk pizza!  also pick your brain on Your Trailer too ! I liked your FB page,  I am at
www.facebook.com/FlirtingWithFireMobileWoodFiredPizza
 if you care to have a look or Like the page  ;)  would sure appreciate it as well
see you soon
John
I'll stop by to say hi as well, John.  Looking forward to it.
Dave

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »
Thanks Dave !! looking forwad to it !
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Expo 2014 Pictures
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »
I have a few fun photos to share.

The first is my new favorite guy holding my new favorite pie (Jeff Smokevitch & Detroit Style).  I had more than a gentleman's helping of several of these bad boys.

Next is Tony Gemignani & Roberto Caporuscio talking & making neo pies

Third is the largest pie I've ever seen cooked - and all things considered, it turned out pretty well.

Finally, back to Detroit showing the workstation.

Dave

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2014, 08:57:49 PM »
Very cool. Pics Dave
Great to meet you today sorry I was so busy !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Pizza Expo 2014 Pictures
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2014, 10:19:01 PM »
I have a few fun photos to share.

The first is my new favorite guy holding my new favorite pie (Jeff Smokevitch & Detroit Style).  I had more than a gentleman's helping of several of these bad boys.

Next is Tony Gemignani & Roberto Caporuscio talking & making neo pies

Third is the largest pie I've ever seen cooked - and all things considered, it turned out pretty well.

Finally, back to Detroit showing the workstation.

Dave

Dave,

I enjoyed the photos!  Thanks!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  We'll see what today brings.  I'm meeting with Meteorite this AM.  Stoners like Scott123 should find this interesting: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLREka5IlYRa57EN2nFx4bIdjKjEO9MvaW.
Dave

scott123

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 12:03:47 PM »
*eyes half closed* Heyyyyy, man.... Dave's not here, man.

Oh, sorry, not that kind of stoner  ;D

I have some thoughts on the Meteor oven, but, rather than derail this thread, perhaps we could start a new one?

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Pictures
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2014, 06:34:46 PM »
The photos below show the big picture of the show floor.
Dave

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2014, 06:38:25 PM »
Great shots, how did you do that????
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
R2D2 SS Oven
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2014, 06:43:27 PM »
Great shots, how did you do that????
I snuck into the security booth.

More photos
Below is John Conk's booth w/o John.  I thought he slept in, but his staff said he was making pizza with Jeff Varsano.  Sure enough, when I tracked him down, there they were.  Some may remember Jeff as a "Friend of the Forum" and generous contributor to the knowledge bank of making great pizza.  In person, he is really a great guy, IMO.   
Jeff makes my new favorite pie. :chef:

Dave
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:09:40 PM by Tampa »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2014, 06:50:05 PM »
A random snapshot of Sbarro that some may find as funny as I did.
Dave

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2014, 06:51:42 PM »
Blackstone's booth outside. 
That's the last of the photos, time to board.
Dave
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:53:39 PM by Tampa »

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2014, 08:57:36 PM »
Love the pics Dave.  Were the BS boys outside due to health/gas regs?? 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 08:16:06 AM »
Love the pics Dave.  Were the BS boys outside due to health/gas regs??
Yes, that is what I heard.  I know BS was trying to get inside after the first day arguing that other gas ovens were allowed indoors, but it never happened.  I'm not sure the reason.

Dylan, it is too bad you were not there making pies.  I saw Craigerita's from all kinds of ovens, some pies better than others, but your results (and of course Craig's and several others) would have made the short list.

Dave

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »
Entrants in the 'little oven category'

The stainless oven below, was developed by the smiling face holding the pie.  His company is called Round Stone Oven.  Really nice chap.  IMO, the oven doesn't have the heat flow to make a Neo quality pie, but it works fine for other styles.  Pricing was $1500ish, but don't quote me.  They have a couple of different models.

After the stainless, is the little black Pizzeria Pronto Outdoor Pizza Oven.  I spent some time with the designer, Cory, a RISD grad now living in Berkeley.  It was like old home week.  He told me the little oven is popular with the tailgater crowd because of the easy portability.  The pie he baked is also shown - a general crowd pleaser more than a forum favorite ($299).

Dave
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:49:14 PM by Tampa »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 09:19:18 PM »
 Dave just wanted to let you know how nice it was to meet  you. I'm glad you posted a picture of the Detroit pie. when i got to it there  only a few cuts were left and it was after the demo, and i didn't know what it was. that was one of the best pies at the show. on a side note when we toured pizza rock's kitchen they had a bunch of their Detroit's sitting there. they were pre baked and they mentioned cabbot cheddar as a ingredient in the toppings. the other fabulous pie was the pizza cuz's demo. it was like dom demarco's pizza with a amazing crust. the Neapolitan  pizza was not very good. gas fired ovens and rushed pies hurt the product. i will post my pictures as soon as i get organized.i got some of 800 degrees which is opening april 1 as we went to the vpn party.now that was a really good pizza!!
 it was weird seeing black stone there, but their oven is really amazing for the price. it really can cook Neapolitan. you need to tell your story of the Italians and how they wanted to write that oven off but couldn't

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2014, 09:18:47 AM »
Dave just wanted to let you know how nice it was to meet  you. I'm glad you posted a picture of the Detroit pie. when i got to it there  only a few cuts were left and it was after the demo, and i didn't know what it was. that was one of the best pies at the show. on a side note when we toured pizza rock's kitchen they had a bunch of their Detroit's sitting there. they were pre baked and they mentioned cabbot cheddar as a ingredient in the toppings. the other fabulous pie was the pizza cuz's demo. it was like dom demarco's pizza with a amazing crust. the Neapolitan  pizza was not very good. gas fired ovens and rushed pies hurt the product. i will post my pictures as soon as i get organized.i got some of 800 degrees which is opening april 1 as we went to the vpn party.now that was a really good pizza!!
 it was weird seeing black stone there, but their oven is really amazing for the price. it really can cook Neapolitan. you need to tell your story of the Italians and how they wanted to write that oven off but couldn't
Thanks Larry.  I guess our first priority should be to make an honest man out of "Art the Lurker" by making him a member. ;D

Please do post your photos when you get a chance.  It was a big show and y'all saw some great pies and such when I was in a different corner.

I did post a bit of the VPN bake on the BS on another thread, but here it is. 
As an aside, I stopped by the Blackstone booth today at the 2014 Pizza Expo in Las Vegas.  While I was there someone from the VPN Association launched a Caputo 00 pie on the Blackstone just to see what would happen.  I ran over and cranked up the regulator and the oven valve (since nobody manning the booth was a neo-type).  The launch stone temp was about 680F (and there is no fixing that), but the rest of the pie finished off very nicely.  Some eyebrows were raised; who knows maybe they sold an oven.

Of course there was more to the story like grabbing the turning peel from another booth, working the edge, discussing through an Italian translator the launch temp for that oven/stone combination, recovery time vs regulators (5 v. 10), etc.  The funny crescendo when they pulled the pie and dropped it on the ground.  OOPs!   :chef:

Dave

Offline pizza recovery_addict

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2014, 12:47:07 PM »
 :P
Hey guys and gals thank you for stopping by my Demo on DSP at Pizza Expo.  I had a great time spreading the word of DSP and testing out DSP in a wood burning oven at 800degrees (which BTW came out fantastic!)  Thank you to the lady in the crowd that asked me to bake a DSP in a wood burning oven.!  ;D

DSP is making a charge in the pizza industry and anyone on this wonderful site that has questions in developing their recipes, please don't hesitate to ask me  :chef:.  It took me years of trial and error to come up with my recipe.   My home of Telluride, CO sits at 8,750 feet which makes it even more difficult to make pizza   

Whenever I go back to Detroit (3-4times per year)  I always stop at my childhood pizzeria, Primos (Adams Rd between 14 and 15mile rd).  But my current favorite DSP in the Detroit area is the Buddy's Pizza on 15 and Lasher.  It is a Togo, delivery location but they do a great job with their slices.  I still need to try out my good friend, Shawn Randazzo's pizzeria, Detroit Style Pizza Company.

BTW: A reply to post #55 about the "Pizza Cuz" guys dough.  First off, these guys are great people and very well respected in our industry.  I loved their TV show!  Some inside, back stage info:  The day before their Demo at Pizza Expo, Bill Oakley the VP of Pizza today asked Tony Gemignani to make dough for the Pizza Cuz guys for their demo.  So the dough that the pizza cuz guys used was made by Master Pizza Maker, Tony Gemignani.   I was privileged enough to bake pizzas with that same dough, later that night at the Pizza Expo's 30th birthday bash.  It was very hard to push as it had a super high hydration but that made the crust very crisp on the outside and airy, soft and chewy on the inside.   :pizza: 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
:P
Hey guys and gals thank you for stopping by my Demo on DSP at Pizza Expo.  I had a great time spreading the word of DSP and testing out DSP in a wood burning oven at 800degrees (which BTW came out fantastic!)  Thank you to the lady in the crowd that asked me to bake a DSP in a wood burning oven.!  ;D

Crazy-good Detroit Pizza you made there Jeff!

Just a heads-up for other forum members considering a future show: the Pros that I met at the Pizza Expo were exceptionally friendly and engaging.  Also you don't need to worry about eating.  Doors open 10:00 - 4:00 and everything inside is free.

Dave

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »
 i have a few pictures from the show as well as a few pictures from pizza rock and 800 degree. the best demo pizza i had was the Detroit and artichokes new your pizza. the two cousins that are featured on that show are very comical. they offered advice on how to of new york.Scott and Walter preach the same things. they like blodget or barri ovens. they instructed the audience to keep the door shut load and unload at the same time. make sure the side vents are closed to hold floor heat. on ingredients they like polly-o block mozzarella nina whole tomatoes and 7/11. they add salt pepper and pumice olive oil that's it.when their pies came out they threw two away because the marsal oven didn't get hot enough, and the crust didn't rise. they finished the pies with pumice olive oil fresh basil and lots of grated cheese. the crust was delicious very crisp and light like a good baguette. enclosed are some pictures.

the show was fun lots of demos. i enjoyed the neapolitan dough making demo that the vpn america organization put on. they also had their ovens outside so they were able to use wood. they were right next to the blackstone demo area. i did not taste any of the neapolitan cooked outside. most of the stuff inside was a little rough. there were tomatoes, and flour from many different sources. most booths rushed their pizzas because there were a lot of samples being consumed. ciao tomatoes stood out for me as one of the better products. as far as flour antonino esposito was making wood fired pizza with a flour that had a very dark blackish color to it his pies were very good. he made more use of toppings such as eggplant,artichokes,and fresh tomatoes than the neapolitan guys. this flour had a mix of burnt wheat and regular wheat that gave this flour a realy dark color that dissipated a lot when it baked. Tampa Dave was not fond of it ,but i thought it was quit good! 

the most impressive booth was stanislaus. they had a buffet that included a pasta dish, and a tomato on toasted bread appetizer. then you sat at one of 15 tables to a bottle of wine, imported grated cheese, olive tray, and meat tray.all of the family was there including Dino Cortopassi, who was as gracious as could be. meeting  him was absolutely the best part of the show. they all thanked us for our business, asked us to sit down and enjoy!!!

tuesday night we hit pizza rock one of tony gemignani's restaurants. i saw tony at the show and told him we were going that night he called ahead and set up a kitchen tour for us. it was supposed to be a pm.com meeting but the only guy to show was jimmy mac and he did not recognize our group so it was my son Mike his boss from the merea group Bill, my friend in pizza crime Atruro and Ankur of pizza CS in Rockville MD we tried three styles. his award winning margherita. another award winning pizza called cal italia a food network pizza champions winner and a sicilian called fratellanza. all were good the cal italia was the best. the margherita very good the fratellanza also very good.the sicilian was a par bake and you can always tell that by the lightness and dryer texture that they have. they use a poolish in all of their doughs and the kitchen was quite impressive in their number of different ovens and their dough storage methods. pictures of the neapolitan included.

last we were invited to 800 degee pre opening party which is located in front of the monte carlo where we were staying. the pizza was quite delicious!!!and it is a amazing concept. pizza chipotle  style. there are 5 of them and they average 2000 pies a day!this store has three stefano ferrara ovens! because of the volume they use a machine to cut their dough, it is still hand balled. because of the machine and the use of wooden peels they are not vpn approved. pictures enclosed I'm done. Larry