Author Topic: Should I build a WFO? Anyone making Neapolitan pies in South FLorida  (Read 763 times)

Offline Bugsforbob

Greetings, is there anyone in South Florida making authentic Neapolitan pies that would be willing to give me a taste? I mean the real deal, like TXCraig, Shuboyge or the Italian guy in Southern CA. I'm  interested in a WFO but think I should try one before I build. Anthony's Coal Fired is good but I dont think it is a true Neapolitan but a NY Style.

Thanks

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Re: Should I build a WFO? Anyone making Neapolitan pies in South FLorida
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »
http://scuolavecchiapizzeria.com/

i know that Roberto from Keste was consulting for them....

and you can go to the AVPN web site (pizzanapoletana.org) and go to the USA/FL certified pizzeria's.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 04:35:46 PM »
If you mean you want to try a Neapolitan style pizza before considering building an oven, be aware that that is not the only type pizza you can cook in one (and pizza is not the only thing you can cook in one either).  I seldom make Neapolitan pies in mine, because that is not my preferred style. 

Offline Bugsforbob

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 06:22:51 PM »
Wow! I should have looked a little harder. Andre from Brazil finds a place near me in Florida! Thank you!

Offline Bugsforbob

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
RE from Tsca: Thanks. You are correct. I guess I am figuring that if an oven can do Neapolitan then it should be at least capable of doing other styles- (but maybe not optimally). As many have expressed, mediocre pizza at home is probably pretty good compared to the chains. That said, I make good pizza at home as well as sour dough artisan style breads. I max out my oven and use a stone, but it still takes almost 10 minutes for a 300g pie.(dough wt)
What would be a versatile dome height for bread and pizza- mainly NY & NP and the occasional Chicago. (Their all good!) Also. I only make 6-8 pies a session- maybe three time a month.
Thx for your input.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »
I think you would use it enough to have a WFO, for bread if nothing else. If you decide that you don't like Neapolitan, you can make any style you want, including deep dish and Sicilian.  I usually make one or 2 Neapolitan style first then bring the temp down for 3-4 minute pies for the remaining 4 or 6 I usually make.

Ceiling height is somewhat related to size, but 15-18" for a 40-42" would do well for bread and pizza of all types.