Author Topic: No yeast Pizza crust - Modern Apizza style  (Read 1476 times)

Offline zole2112

No yeast Pizza crust - Modern Apizza style
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »
I was in Connecticut on Feb 27 so I made a trip down to New Haven for a pizza adventure. We ate at Modern Apizza and then Pepe's. The pizza at Modern (Italian Bomb & a Pepperoni Sausage) was excellent, I'd rate it an 8.5/10 while the pizza at Pepe's (White clam, super salty, and Tomato Pie w/Mozzeralla, bland) was very subpar, 4/10 and I'm being generous.

I was told, while at Modern Apizza, that they went to a yeast free crust a few months ago. I brought 4 crusts back to Wisconsin with me and baked 2 pies a couple of days later, on the weekend, and they turned out fabulous! I had 2 crusts left over in the refrigerator and decided to try them yesterday, a full 10 days later, and they were still excellent.

Does anybody have any idea what the crust recipe is that Modern Apizza is now using?

Thanks!

Offline Giggliato

Re: No yeast Pizza crust - Modern Apizza style
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:25:26 AM »
These crusts you brought back, did they exhibit any life at all during your journey?

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »
It would be surprising if Modern Apizza wasn't using yeast. I guess they might have gone to a naturally leavened crust but as far as I know that would be a pretty big change from the traditional NH style. 

Offline zole2112

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »
There was absolutely no life after I left the pizzeria.

Offline zole2112

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:40:23 AM »
It would be surprising if Modern Apizza wasn't using yeast. I guess they might have gone to a naturally leavened crust but as far as I know that would be a pretty big change from the traditional NH style.
I was surprised myself. I was talking to someone who works there and asked for any secrets (which I always ask) and I was told that a few months earlier they had gone to a yeastless crust. The crusts I brought back with me, I had 4 in a plastic container, I put in the hotel refrigerator overnight and then brought them home on the plane with me and put them in my refrigerator when I got home. I left them on the counter for about 45 minutes before baking. No signs of rising, no signs of life at all.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »
It is hard to say from this picture of their pizzas cooking but it does seem possible that they could be using an unleavened flatbread to make pizza. Interesting that you liked the flavor, their flour must be top notch. I like the taste of the products of fermentation.

Online scott123

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 05:20:35 PM »
First of all, there is no such thing as a yeastless crust. Yeast is all around us, it would be impossible to avoid getting some yeast in dough.

Now, it's possible that they switched from a leavened dough to an unleavened dough, but, looking at the pizzas, I find this highly unlikely. When they talk about going yeast free, I would bet any amount of money that they are merely just talking about the fact that they are no longer purchasing yeast. This means that they are either using the existing yeast in a piece of old dough for the next batch, or they are using a sourdough starter that they've cultivated and maintained. Since sourdough changes the nature of their pizza pretty dramatically, and could potentially negatively impact their extremely loyal customer base, my money is on old dough.

Old dough and commercial yeast are, from the sake of the end product, one in the same. Two different forms of the identical form of yeast.

Offline zole2112

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:07:13 AM »
I'll be going back to Modern next week and I'll see if I can get any more information. They did say that they went to a no-crust yeast about 2 months ago. The fact that the crusts that they sent home with me showed absolutely no sign of rising at all makes me wonder. I'll get some pictures when I'm there.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:09:37 AM by zole2112 »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 02:24:59 PM »
Hey guys, I had a fun pizza journey the other day.   I hit pepes for lunch on the way to NJ and I hit modern for dinner on the way back (both on the same day)

As usual I preferred modern.    Pepe's was having a really rough day because of a cool oven.    I was timing a pizza and after the 10 minute mark it was still not out of the oven.  Im not even sure how long it went because I left at that point.     I often see pizzas pulled at the 5 minute mark with lots of char, so their oven temps are all over the place. 

Anyhow.... theres DEFINITELY no sourdough culture in the modern pizza.  Also... they are not using a name brand flour but I do think most high gluten bromated flours are fairly similar.   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:27:29 PM by scott r »

pizzapan