Author Topic: My first NY style pizzas!  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: My first NY style pizzas!
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »
Peter-
I've got newbie questions for you. What would be the visible signs of an over fermented dough ball? Also, what would you be looking for to see that it is has fermented enough and it is ready for use?

Jon

Jon,

There are no easy answers to that question because there are so many different dough formulations and dough preparation and management methods, and also different fermentation protocols and fermentation periods. However, I think you can get a general idea by reading Reply 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3626.msg30550/topicseen.html#msg30550 and Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20392.msg200779/topicseen.html#msg200779. You might also read the rest of the thread in which I posted Reply 7 mentioned above.

Peter

Offline chaspie

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 12:04:10 PM »
I reread the Glutenboy thread I referenced above.  He said that he did a two hour room temperature bulk rise after mixing his dough, then he divided and refrigerated the dough balls for four and a half days.  Since he got such good results, I'm assuming his dough handling protocol didn't result in over-fermentation.  Of course, he used All Trumps unbleached unbromated flour, which is higher in protein than the Gold Medal Better for Bread I'm using.  I'm sure that has got to make a difference.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »
Thanks Peter.  I'm finding this thread very interesting because this is the dough I picked to work on too.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »
I reread the Glutenboy thread I referenced above.  He said that he did a two hour room temperature bulk rise after mixing his dough, then he divided and refrigerated the dough balls for four and a half days.  Since he got such good results, I'm assuming his dough handling protocol didn't result in over-fermentation.  Of course, he used All Trumps unbleached unbromated flour, which is higher in protein than the Gold Medal Better for Bread I'm using.  I'm sure that has got to make a difference.

Chuck,

At the same hydration value, a dough made with All Trumps flour will ferment a bit more slowly than a dough with the flour you are using. But the reasons for the long fermentation tolerance of Glutenboy's dough lie elsewhere in my opinion. I took a stab at the reasons at Reply 78 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7761.msg72399/topicseen.html#msg72399 .

Peter
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:22:27 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline chaspie

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 03:43:05 PM »
Your detailed posts like the one you referenced are always enlightening, Peter.   Your conclusions appeared to be that the cool water used in mixing the dough, the small amount of yeast used, and the small dough ball size that allowed for rapid cooling of the dough in the refrigerator contributed to the very slow fermentation and long keeping qualities of the dough.   

On my next dough, I'm only going to change one factor, hydration, and keep everything else the same.  I'll bump up the hydration by 1% to see if that makes a discernable difference.  Hopefully I'll see better oven spring.

pizzapan