Author Topic: Ev's Neo- N.Y. Pies  (Read 4632 times)

Offline scottoant93

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Ev's Neo- N.Y. Pies
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »
Wow that's awesome, you do a great job, they all look good. Do you own a business or do you just make them for friends and family, either they look great keep up the good work, hopefully I'll be able to make pizzas like that

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »
Of course you will. It's only pizza, how hard could it be, right?  :-D
Actually though, I learned everything I know right here on this forum! ;D

It's just a one day a week "Hobby Business" at a local farmers market.  I have to say it like that in order to keep it fun. And it is fun, as long as I don't count on making any real money at it. 8)
 I only make these pies to satisfy the folks who only want a slice to snack on. Most of my business comes in the evening selling more neapolitanesque whole pies to folks who know what that is. It's all good though! 8)

Please feel free to "like" me on Facebook @ X-Stream Cuisine
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:11:24 PM by Ev »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »
Aaaaah....there's my little twinkie  :)  thanks for posting that; I haven't seen her in a while.  8)

Those pie's from last week Steve....awesome man!  I can't decide which one I like better-wish I could eat them all.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2013, 05:58:02 PM »
Ya'know Bob, Pa.'s not that far away! You come up on a Friday night, we could have ourselves a time! ;D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2013, 10:46:23 PM »
Ya'know Bob, Pa.'s not that far away! You come up on a Friday night, we could have ourselves a time! ;D
Wow, thanks Ev...that sounds like a plan an a half bro.  8)   How many weeks can I stay?  ;D

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2013, 11:19:34 PM »
Until the boss throws you out! But then, I might need to come home wit chew! :-D

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 08:13:03 PM »
Pies look great Steve! Do you only do this ny style at the market or do you do Neapolitan too? Slices or whole pies? 
Chaz

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2013, 09:14:25 PM »
Pies look great Steve! Do you only do this ny style at the market or do you do Neapolitan too? Slices or whole pies?
O
 I only make these pies to satisfy the folks who only want a slice to snack on. Most of my business comes in the evening selling more neapolitanesque whole pies to folks who know what that is. It's all good though! 8)

Please feel free to "like" me on Facebook @ X-Stream Cuisine
The Might Ev does it all baby!  8)

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2013, 11:17:39 PM »

The Neo-N.Y. pies are 15-16" and sold as slices. 5 slices to a pie. I also do 10" whole neapolitan, different dough, tomatoes and cheese.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2013, 12:29:18 AM »
The Neo-N.Y. pies are 15-16" and sold as slices. 5 slices to a pie. I also do 10" whole neapolitan, different dough, tomatoes and cheese.

5 slices per pie? Really? How do you do that?
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2013, 06:25:38 AM »

Do you have both types of doughballs on hand? Using Caputo 00 for the Neapolitans? I saw in 1 pic that the oven floor was 850+.
Chaz

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2013, 06:49:20 AM »
5 slices per pie? Really? How do you do that?

I figured the circumference of a 16"pizza tray and divided by 5. I then used a hammer and chisel to make dents at the corresponding intervals around the pan, which I can feel from the underside. Then I just place my cutting wheel over those spots and aim for the center.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2013, 06:59:28 AM »
Do you have both types of doughballs on hand? Using Caputo 00 for the Neapolitans? I saw in 1 pic that the oven floor was 850+.

Yes, I use Caputo 00 Pizzerria flour and Ischia culture, and keep both doughs on hand.  It's a bit tricky baking a NY pie at 850. You can't leave it on the deck for long and you certainly don't dare turn your back on it.  Most of the bake time is on the peel, holding it just off the deck.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2013, 12:40:54 PM »
Oh yeah I could imagine it would burn up pretty quick at 850...lol What % of ischia do you use? I've been experimenting with my ischia doughs but have yet to dial it in  :-[
Chaz

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »
Oh how I wish I could skip this afternoon and head on over..... I would try that Pepperoni slice along with my Neapolitan.   Then I would go to the market and get some more goodies.   :)

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »
Oh yeah I could imagine it would burn up pretty quick at 850...lol What % of ischia do you use? I've been experimenting with my ischia doughs but have yet to dial it in  :-[

For my NP dough, I use Ischia at 2% of total dough for a 12 hr. cool room temp, 60ish. and at least 12 hr. balled.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2013, 11:48:56 AM »
Ok, here are a few shots from last Friday. It's getting much busier at the market now so I don't have a lot of time for picture taking, but I did get a couple typical crumb shots for Chau, and a couple bottoms too.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2013, 11:51:09 AM »
Pies

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
Well....I just don't see how they can get any better than this.  :-\

OK...that's it folks; we're shut'in down Pizzamaking .com! Steve has ruined it for all of us and there's now just no point in going on!!  :-D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:37:08 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »
Thanks Steve.  the crust looks great to me but the crumb looks a bit too moist.  I wonder if it just looks like that and not the case.  I also wonder if baking the NYer's at 850 and mostly on the peel is causing that.  Have you tried to bake these NY pies on the floor at 600-650F?  Is there a difference in the texture compared to baking them at 850F?

pizzapan