Author Topic: Ev's Neo- N.Y. Pies  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Ev's Neo- N.Y. Pies
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »
Thanks Steve.  the crust looks great to me but the crumb looks a bit too moist.  I wonder if it just looks like that and not the case.  I also wonder if baking the NYer's at 850 and mostly on the peel is causing that.  Have you tried to bake these NY pies on the floor at 600-650F?  Is there a difference in the texture compared to baking them at 850F?

I think you're right about that. The crumb is a bit moist but it still eats pretty good. That's definitely the downside of baking a larger pie at hi temps., trying to keep them in long enough to bake through. Lower would be better but I need to bake these in between the NP pies. So, it is what it is. Almost every slice ends up being he-heated anyway, so I think that helps some. I've had no complaints so far, at least.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2013, 12:16:01 AM »
Steve, I think the quick bake and the reheat gives a perfect pie for me.  I love the crisp that comes with reheating.  Actually come to think of it, it takes quite a bit of skill to bake these large NYers at 850F and get as even of a bake as you are getting without burning them.  So keep it up and I'm not surprise that customers are eating it up.  :chef:

chau

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2013, 08:20:05 AM »
Thanks Chau.
 I agree about the reheated slices. I much prefer those over fresh baked.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
I'm finding that, even with a +/-4:15 bake in my 550-ish degree home oven with broiler on full time, I like a 45-60 second reheat (after a 5-ish minute rest) better than a slice right out of the oven, but 12-year old critic disagrees. That extra crisping of the bottom and cornicione is heavenly.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.