Author Topic: Secrets to a Light and Airy Crust  (Read 2468 times)

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
Secrets to a Light and Airy Crust
« on: January 13, 2006, 12:07:06 AM »
Whenever I go to New York, I make sure to hit up a number of pizza places.  Of all the street pizza shops, I've found that Famous Joe's on Bleecker St. is by far my favorite. 

I'm wondering what makes their dough so light and airy.  There's a place in SF that makes a pizza that is very similar.  I've talked to the one of the guys at the place in SF and they mentioned three things that stood out:  first, they use cake yeast instead of dry yeast.  Second, they use two different types of flours -- high gluten for sure and one other which he didn't specify. Finally, he said that he cold rises the dough twice. 

Up until now, I've been using only High Gluten flour (KASL or Giusto's).  However, I'm considering adding some bread flour into the mix to see how it might affect the texture.

Can anyone comment on how tweaking these three variables might help achieve a crust similar in texture to that of Famous Joe's on Bleecker? 

Thanks,
Raj

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Secrets to a Light and Airy Crust
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 03:28:42 AM »
I know others will expand on this, but here is a quicky on three things that will give you more puff.  It sounds like you are using good flour already.

More yeast
More water
Minimal kneading

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:54:52 PM »
The biggest change for me came from hand stretching the pizza to form it. Previously, I used to take a round pizza pan and just squish the dough into it and stretch it until it fit the pan. Now I can hand stretch a pizza so it's almost perfectly round with a nice thicker rim at the edge. High gluten flour has really made this much easier to do without ripping the dough.

Steve

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 07:22:02 PM »
I know others will expand on this, but here is a quicky on three things that will give you more puff.  It sounds like you are using good flour already.

More yeast
More water
Minimal kneading

Hi Scott,

I'll tweak these three things and pay attention to the differences.  As far kneading goes, I'm using a KitchenAid mixer at lowest speed.  I add half the flour immediately, and knead for five minutes.  Then I do an autolyse for 20 mins.  After that, I mix for another 7 mins while gradually adding in the remaining flour.

I've been adding about a 1/4 tsp. yeast for a 12inch ball (355 grams). 

-Raj