Author Topic: Baking Soda To Reduce Sweetness  (Read 1282 times)

Offline getchai

Baking Soda To Reduce Sweetness
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:21:51 PM »
I really dislike the sweetness of tomatoes. I have tried multiple ways to remove the sweetness with an uncooked sauce. I have a good cooked sauce, but I don't want to be forced to cook sauce whenever I want pizza.

I have found that using baking soda in the sauce reduces this acidity. This does not seem to be used by many (or any) on this forum. Or atleast I can't find it, "baking soda" is a tough search term. Does anyone have a reccommendation on how much baking soda to use per weight of sauce? Last time I used something around 1/4 teaspoon per 24oz in Cento Diced Tomatoes. It worked out well. Also I would be interested on thoughts regarding this.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Baking Soda To Reduce Sweetness
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:51:18 PM »
So you are equating sweetness to acidity? Sounds odd to me, but anyway.

I use baking soda once in a great while when I have tomatoes that are too acidic. I use a pinch for a 28oz can. I think you can overdo it and have flat tasting sauce so I would say start with a small amount.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:13:04 AM »
I have found that using baking soda in the sauce reduces this acidity. This does not seem to be used by many (or any) on this forum. Or atleast I can't find it, "baking soda" is a tough search term. Does anyone have a reccommendation on how much baking soda to use per weight of sauce? Last time I used something around 1/4 teaspoon per 24oz in Cento Diced Tomatoes. It worked out well. Also I would be interested on thoughts regarding this.

getchai,

If you do an Advanced forum search using the Search button in the menu that appears at the top of each page, using the search terms "baking soda tomato" (without the quotes), you will find a few hits where members used baking soda with their tomatoes, but with no specific recommendations as to the quantity of baking soda to use.

Peter

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
Adding a small amount of baking soda to your tomato product is an effective way to reduce their acidity. Without actually running a TTA (titratable acidity) to measure the amount of acid present it is impossible to predict just how much soda would need to be added. For most of us, when we have excessively acid tomatoes we just want to take the edge off of them, so a lesser amount of soda is probably the best way to go. While on the topic of pH and tomatoes, please remember that it is the acidity of the tomatoes that inhibits microbial growth with long term storage (think canned). A few years ago a young housewife poisoned her entire family when she canned low acid, yellow tomatoes following the same procedure that she normally used when canning regular tomatoes and used it to make a pasta sauce. The microorganism that grew in her canned, low acid tomatoes was clostridium, and the outcome was not good.
One last thing about pH and tomatoes, it is the acidity of the tomatoes that helps to prevent them from scorching during the baking of the pizza. We did some work on this a number of years ago and we found that the addition of 1-ounce of grated Parmesan cheese per gallon of tomato product did a pretty decent job of taking the edge off of the tartness of the tomatoes. You won't see/taste the difference though until you cook the sauce either by itself or on a pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline getchai

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »
Thank you Jeff, Peter and Tom.

Good to know the role of acid in prohibiting microbial growth.

I have tried Parmesan before, I will have to try again in the ratio you described.

pizzapan