Author Topic: Impasti Spiral mixer, need info,  (Read 1296 times)

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
Impasti Spiral mixer, need info,
« on: March 12, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
I know the company is gone, I know it is was due to their mixers being of a quality not meeting commercial needs. (read; Cheaply made)

What I need to know is; Can someone who can tell the volume of the mixing bowl if I give you width and depth dimensions,

I know, simple math actually, but my brains are so fried right now handling the 500 other items I am dealing with by  moving our BBQ restaurant to a different county,  and expanding our menu to include pizza.

And once we figure the volume capacity in Quarts, I need to know the maximum amount of flour it could handle per batch.
I have never used a spiral mixer, EVER. I have used plenty of Planetary mixers ranging from 20Qt to beyond the 80Qt size and I am able to eyeball them and know what amounts of flour to use without it ending up all over the walls.

The flour I plan to use is only available in 50# bags from our current supplier, and I do not have a large enough capacity floor scale to weigh half-bags of flour to keep my formula ratios correct.

Thank you in adavance
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Impasti Spiral mixer, need info,
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:13:58 PM »
Someone with more mixer experience than me might have an answer, but I would assume the bowl isn't shaped like a cylinder.  Would it be easier to fill the bowl with measured amounts of water? You could keep track of how many quarts it holds.

Offline GotRocks

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »
Someone with more mixer experience than me might have an answer, but I would assume the bowl isn't shaped like a cylinder.  Would it be easier to fill the bowl with measured amounts of water? You could keep track of how many quarts it holds.

The bowl is a straight sided cylinder, that's why I figured I could do this without the water measuring method,  but then my next issue is that I do not know how to interpolate how many quarts in volume to how many pounds of flour a spiral mixer can handle.
i was at our new building yesterday, brought the tape measure with and everything, yet forgot to measure the bowl. Argh!

Ah, at least hi-gluten flour is priced below $20.00/50LB bag these days.
I'll make sure I have the shop vac handy when I see if it can handle 50 pounds.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 03:31:28 PM »
If it is a straight cylinder, here's how I would ballpark it with a  calculator and measurements in inches

Diameter x diameter x height x 3.14
Take that and divide by 4 to give you the volume in cubic inches.
Take that and divide by 57.75 to get quarts.

A pound of bread flour is probably close to a quart, maybe a little less. I think repeating your dough recipe will be easier with a scale though. You could probably get weights to a tenth of a pound with a bathroom scale. My guess is that would be more accurate than a volume measure.

Offline GotRocks

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 11:17:15 AM »
If it is a straight cylinder, here's how I would ballpark it with a  calculator and measurements in inches

Diameter x diameter x height x 3.14
Take that and divide by 4 to give you the volume in cubic inches.
Take that and divide by 57.75 to get quarts.

A pound of bread flour is probably close to a quart, maybe a little less. I think repeating your dough recipe will be easier with a scale though. You could probably get weights to a tenth of a pound with a bathroom scale. My guess is that would be more accurate than a volume measure.

Thank you,
That is the formula that I was hoping to find. I do not know why I was so brain dead and couldn't think it through.

I believe once I find the physical volume of the bowl, I should be able to find an information from current manufacturers of spiral mixers in their literature.

IE: according to American Eagle equipmemt their 40QT spiral mixer will and 26# of flour for bread for a 44# batch of dough,
And  20# flour for bagels with a 32# finish weight.

Just by eyeballing the size of the bowl on my mixer, I am guessing it is right at, or slightly below the 40Qt range since It is way wider than a 5 gallon bucket, and ever so slightly shorter.

Thank you again, I am heading to the location today and plan on using a graduated gallon water pitcher to determine capacity
That'll be right after I move tons of snow out of the parking lot Arggghhh, when will the snow end?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:36:28 AM by GotRocks »