Author Topic: Coal hook in the U.S.?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Reep

Coal hook in the U.S.?
« on: March 12, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »
Does anyone in the U.S. sell a coal hook as pictured below?  It is basically a long pole with a curved scoop/blade on the end for moving wood and coals to the side.  I found this one in Australia, but haven't seen them anywhere else.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Coal hook in the U.S.?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »
Can't say I've ever seen that, but I've been extremely happy with a simple aluminum bar for moving things around in the WFO. I installed a hook on one end for hanging and also to prevent me from grabbing it by the searing business end  :-[ . Don't ask.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
Maybe something like this would work for you Rich.....http://www.manufactum.com/broad-japanese-garden-hoe-p1443517/?c=193680
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 04:35:37 PM »
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 07:24:31 PM »
mugnaini sells one like that: http://www.mugnaini.com/content/accessories

Offline Reep

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »
Thanks all.  I really like the look of the FGM one, but considering the cost and what I would be using it for, maybe Bill has the right idea. 

And I'll make sure and put tape or wood around one end.  :angel:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »
Thanks all.  I really like the look of the FGM one, but considering the cost and what I would be using it for, maybe Bill has the right idea. 

Reep,

Home Depot length of 2in. conduit pipe an a hammer......short piece of foam pipe insulation and some glue and you got a fancy "custom" handle .  ;)   Cut a slit in a tennis ball, stick on the end and you will be over the top!  ;D

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:05:11 PM »

Reep,

I think it is a good decision. In all the firings of my WFO, I can't think of a single time I'd have used a hook like that. Here is a photo I meant to post.

Offline Reep

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:13:17 PM »
I picked up a 3" wide, 2' long piece of aluminum (will cut it shorter) for the blade and am going to screw that onto an aluminum pipe.  I have a nice wood shop, so eventually I will have to get a nice piece of wood to use as a handle.  Still will end up costing less than $30.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:41:10 PM »
No sure I can compete with a nice home made tool but since you bought an oven from me, I'll give you a very nice discount.

Just sent you a PM with the pricing.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »
I picked up a 3" wide, 2' long piece of aluminum (will cut it shorter) for the blade and am going to screw that onto an aluminum pipe.  I have a nice wood shop, so eventually I will have to get a nice piece of wood to use as a handle.  Still will end up costing less than $30.

That's exactly what I did. Use it all the time.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:17:33 PM »
I ordered one of these from Antoine -
http://www.breadstoneovens.com/collections/frontpage/products/embers-rake

I have the same one from Antoine.  I use it all the time and have no regrets.  I use it to sweep coals and ash out of the oven.  Sometimes to move coals back out onto the floor to heat it up or to just "neaten things up" when all the coals are pushed to the side.  Also, when I am roasting or baking something in a pot or dish, I often use it to move that around.

It is ok, but not great, for moving wood around.  I typically use my small FGM peel for that.

- Mitch

Offline DarqMan

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 08:49:23 PM »
I was telling a good buddy of mine about this exact same tool.  He showed up this weekend with a home made version that I think is excellent.  It has a wood handle to help stabilize it and keep it level.  It far exceeded my expectations and I can't wait to try it out.

Offline Reep

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »
Went to my local hardware store and picked up a 3/4" aluminum pipe and an aluminum bar.  Bolted the blade to the bar and then put it in my vice to add the bends.  During the process I tried it out in my oven and I really like the action on it.  My oven is oval and quite deep.  The blade/scoop is a bit larger than normal.  I was planning on making it shorter and cutting it off, but I liked the way it worked when I tried it out, so I left it.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »

Reep,

I think it is a good decision. In all the firings of my WFO, I can't think of a single time I'd have used a hook like that. Here is a photo I meant to post.

Bill,

That hook on the end of your coal bar, and the half-story that goes along with it is very funny! I'm sure that despite the hook, there is some reason that I would find to grab the busines end of that thing! Ouch!!! :-D

I agree with the idea that many of these tools are "multipurpose".

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »
Just us a solid peel move the coals where you want lift push slide whatever, and brush the oven floor. not sure what this tool does ? Pushes coals around to a semi circles type position. Why would you want that shape  and you still have to brush  floor right . Please explain.
John  (live from expo) 
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Reep

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »
Just us a solid peel move the coals where you want lift push slide whatever, and brush the oven floor. not sure what this tool does ? Pushes coals around to a semi circles type position. Why would you want that shape  and you still have to brush  floor right . Please explain.
John  (live from expo)

Yeah, I'm not sure how much this will get used.  The specific purpose for me is if/when I need to pull coals or wood from the very back of the oven.  The peel may work well for that too, but the hook lets me get in behind it and pull it out. 

Oh yeah, and finally had a belated birthday party last night.  Had one very long box that was filled with all kinds of blue-handled goodies.  I told my girls that they looked like child disciplining tools.  Thanks John for the tools and the matching accessory!  I think I'm all ready to start up now. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:02:57 AM by Reep »