Author Topic: Really disappointed in Grande 50/50 blend  (Read 2266 times)

Offline elohel

Really disappointed in Grande 50/50 blend
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »
In my quest for a NY style pizza, I turned to Grande cheese after reading so many favorable things about them on here, and in desperation for a flavorful cheese.

I went with the 50/50 blend of mozz and provolone as I read their 'east coast blend' of skim and whole mozz was flavorless, and really needed other cheese to amp it up. I made 3 pies the other night with this 50/50 blend, and it's TASTELESS. It literally tastes like nothing. I spoke to the place I bought it and they just kind of had a 'tough luck, nothing we can do' stance on it. $40 on a big bag of cheese that tastes as good as a $3 bag from the grocery store. It does have nice melting/stretching characteristics, but I'm just so damn disappointing in the lack of flavor. I just cannot believe a cheese with a 50% blend of provolone could be so tasteless.

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Really disappointed in Grande 50/50 blend
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:28:49 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  I know there are a lot of members here who really like Grande cheese. 

I myself, did a side by side comparison of Grand and Sam's club shredded cheese and I prefer the SC cheese over grande. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12032.msg113045.html#msg113045

I did a quick search for Grande Cheese and read a few other disappointment threads about the lack of flavor and rubbery consistency upon cooling.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:01:12 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  Keep up the good fight for good pizza!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 06:50:23 AM »
I myself, did a side by side comparison of Grand and Sam's club shredded cheese and I prefer the SC cheese over grande. 

Is the Sam's Club cheese you're using made by Stella? I used to buy Stella shredded part-skim mozzarella from Sam's Club all the time, love that stuff!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:39:33 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
Yes that's the stuff. Elohel, you can try cutting in romano pecorino, parmegiano reggiano, or white cheddar for more flavor.  Also a small drizzle of butter post bake can also boost fat flavor.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »
elohel,
Did you buy from Penn(Pirate)Mac?   I wonder if something is going on with them because there seems to be a rash of complaints just like yours here recently.

The times I've ordered Grande cheese I bought the East Coast blend and thought it was awesome. Right now it seems there are complaints about the 50/50 and the Whole milk brick...wonder what's going on?  ???
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 02:41:33 PM »
1. Shipping cheese doesn't work. You might get lucky and get a cheese that hasn't spoiled, but there is also a considerable chance that the cheese won't be properly refrigerated during its travels.

2. Shredding exposes cheese to air, which, in turn, accelerates spoiling. Pizzerias can get away with pre-shredded cheese, because the distribution channel guarantees an extremely fresh product. Home bakers don't have this luxury.

3. Mozzarella doesn't achieve its full flavor without sufficient bubbling/browning. To achieve bubbling, the pizza must get plenty of top heat and bottom heat, and also must have a lower thickness factor, so it gets plenty of heat from below.

In other words, in order to judge any wholesale brand of cheese, it must be purchased from a distributor, in a block form, and be utilized in a setting with properly applied heat.

Offline elohel

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 05:13:27 PM »
Yeah, I didn't want to buy it pre-shredded, but I didn't have enough room in my freezer to buy two separate blocks of it. That, and I was too cheap to spend $70 on cheese without trying it first.

I got it from Vern's, and it came cold (it's rather cold in the midwest, I knew it wouldn't spoil during shipping).

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »
I have posted before I used to purchase Grande cheese in blocks from a local pizzeria.  That was about 4 years ago and although it did melt and stretch well, I also thought the taste was lacking in flavor on the final baked pizzas. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Vesuvi0

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:44:45 PM »
I used to purchase Grande from a local pizzeria also...I believe the distributor was SOFO. 

I tried both shredded and diced, and call me crazy, but the diced had much better performance in the oven with respect to baking synergy with the crust AND had better flavor.  Swear I wasn't smoking dope.  They stopped buying this however because diced was more prone to waste as it is easier to throw bits of cheese all over the place.  I thought it was the knucklehead teenagers working the line but I guess not!!!

I've tried to emulate this texture a few times (see my NY style with shortening post) but its a real pain in the neck.  Never been able to find a "home dicer" also
Vesuvi0

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »

I tried both shredded and diced, and call me crazy, but the diced had much better performance in the oven with respect to baking synergy with the crust AND had better flavor.

Vesuvi0,

I sure wouldn’t call you crazy for what you posted.  I also wonder about the diced Grande cheeses.  I posted at Reply 6 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19389.msg189715.html#msg189715 that member Bob1 gave me a bag of Grande Italian Blends.  That bag of blended Grande cheeses did have a very good taste on many different styles of pizzas.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 09:41:05 PM »
I just saw Americas Test Kitchen tasting panel voted Sorrento whole milk as their favorite mozzarella. I've gotten it a couple times and its pretty good.

Scott123's points are very good re pre shredding and proper cooking too. I always ask for a chunk to be cut off the loaf.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline grathan

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »
I've had good results with the 50/50. Not overpowering as you would think %50 provolone would have been, but still pretty good.

My thoughts are that some nights my taste buds are off, they can be destroyed by spicy or hot foods and suddenly I think my $5/bottle beer as flavorless one night, but another bottle the next night is incredible.

I love experimenting on pies, my next step would be comparing a proven mozzarella and provolone side by side on a pie with this one.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 04:56:40 PM »
Mozzarella is really a pretty bland tasting cheese, even when blended with a higher butterfat Provalone cheese, the flavor is still on the bland and non-exciting side of great. To compound this, there seems to be a tendency to use too much dried oregano and basil these days and that pungent flavor completely over powers any flavor from the cheese. We have been working on this for some time now and we have found if we replace the dried basil and oregano with fresh, green leaf basil and oregano (my personal preference is to use just fresh basil and forgo the oregano completely) the cheese flavor comes through much better. Additionally, the addition of about an ounce (a good pinch) of shredded Parmesan cheese to replace an equal portion of Mozzarella does a lot to bring out the cheese flavor of the pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »
Mozzarella is really a pretty bland tasting cheese,
It didn't used to be....wonder what happened.  ???

It doesn't even melt the same....or have the texture of my beloved Chicago 'burbs thin pizza's from back in the 70's.  >:(    >:(  !!

Can any good tricks be done Tom?  Don't care what the "name" of the cheese is....just want some old school goodness man, for crying out loud.  :'(

That Penn(the pirate)Mac EastCoast blend was pretty darn good the few times I bought from them but Dang, I can't be squandering my retirement pennies away with those crooks dude!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:29:28 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline chaspie

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »
You can make your own mozzarella cheese.  It's one of the easier cheeses to make.  I've only tried it once, but sadly without great success.  I've given some thought to trying it again.  Making cheese is like making pizza, and a thousand other food items that we can all learn to make if we wish.  It requires a serious committment and lots of practice to get good at it. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »
You can make your own mozzarella cheese.  It's one of the easier cheeses to make.  I've only tried it once, but sadly without great success.  I've given some thought to trying it again.  Making cheese is like making pizza, and a thousand other food items that we can all learn to make if we wish.  It requires a serious committment and lots of practice to get good at it.
Chuck, baby....are you nuts man?  ;D
You obviously have no idea how old I am dude..... :-D

But I will sponsor you if you think we could get close to my cheese from the 70's....we could become Cheese Barons together my friend!!  :)
Think it over.  ;)

Bob

Offline chaspie

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 09:40:09 PM »
Hey, I'm no spring chicken either, Bob, but I'll let you know if I decide to try my hand at making mozz again.  I'll need an experienced taste tester.   ;D  The first problem for me would be remembering what mozzarella from the '70s tasted like. 

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 09:55:52 PM »
I make my own "mutz" for my enjoyment. I use the Italian cultures and make it the old way.
That being said, I can go to the store here in Jersey and get fresh cheese for about the same as it cost me to make it and it is"almost" as good as mine with no work.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 10:05:02 PM »
Maybe "Nonya" can shed some light. No shortage of opinions in reply #37!  :o

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10395.msg240289.html#msg240289

pizzapan