Author Topic: New search engine  (Read 620 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
New search engine
« on: March 09, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »
The internal (built-in) search engine for the new forum is far better than the old search engine (the old search engine was so bad that we had to add a Google search function to the forum so that people could find stuff).

If you still want to use Google Search, it's available in the drop-down menu of the search function at the top-right of the page.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline grathan

Re: New search engine
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
The default search in the dropdown seems different than using the default options in the menu search.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 08:32:45 PM »
The default search in the dropdown seems different than using the default options in the menu search.

I've noticed that too. Sometimes, when you search using the Default search (top right), you'll get:

Your search query didn't return any matches.

But if you click the Search button again you'll get results. I'm looking into that bug.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »
Another thing that is new is the ability to search within a topic (at least I don't think you could before). This is great if you're looking for something in particular in a very large thread.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:06:39 PM »
Another thing that is new is the ability to search within a topic (at least I don't think you could before). This is great if you're looking for something in particular in a very large thread.

Nice find.

Imagine Pete-zza's power now!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »

Don,

That was always true but many members did not know that they could do only a topic (or board) search. But, to do the search, you had to be at the topic or board at the time of the search. It is an improvement, however, to have the pull-down menu to be able to use.

There are many other improvements to the new search engine. It now catches words that it could not catch before, including words with very few letters, and there are more hits in general. Of course, it helps to use enough keywords so that you don't end up with hundreds or even thousands of hits.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 09:29:19 PM »
Imagine Pete-zza's power now!

Jeff,

If I had power before, I will now have a lot less. I was always a heavy user of the old search engine, to the point where I was one of the few members on the forum who knew how to get around the deficiencies of the old search engine. And I was often the one who found posts when members said that they did searches and couldn't find anything. Now, members can do their own searches with much more confidence that they will find what they are looking for. The challenge has always been to get the members to use the forum's search engine and not just ask questions without having made an attempt to find the information themselves. 

I'm happy to cede whatever power I have ever had with the old search engine to the rest of the members of the forum :-D.

Peter

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »
Jeff,

If I had power before, I will now have a lot less. I was always a heavy user of the old search engine, to the point where I was one of the few members on the forum who knew how to get around the deficiencies of the old search engine. And I was often the one who found posts when members said that they did searches and couldn't find anything. Now, members can do their own searches with much more confidence that they will find what they are looking for. The challenge has always been to get the members to use the forum's search engine and not just ask questions without having made an attempt to find the information themselves. 

I'm happy to cede whatever power I have ever had with the old search engine to the rest of the members of the forum :-D.

Peter

So post 19000 you finally cede some power, is there a pizza color smoke for that? :-D If it were me I would have made a power grab and forced Steve to make the search engine worse thereby further cementing my legacy.