Author Topic: Pizza Moto oven  (Read 1264 times)

Online pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
Pizza Moto oven
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:12:05 PM »
This guy makes a beautiful Neapolitan pie in a homemade mobile oven, but I think he's about to make a big  mistake if he thinks he can duplicate it in an old bakery oven.
Nice story though.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2013/03/pizza-moto-red-hook-pizza-oven.html

Perry

Offline shuboyje

Re: Pizza Moto oven
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »
Even if you could get the oven to Neapolitan temperatures, AND achieve a balance bake there is a glaring flaw in this plan.  The oven has 1 opening.  Realistically you are still only going to cook 4 or 5 pies at a time due to this limitation.  That is a huge fuel hungry oven to have it's throughput be the same as a 47" Neapolitan oven.
-Jeff

Offline dineomite

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »
I wish them luck!

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »
They're raising $32K to restore an oven that won't even make the kind of pizzas that they're currently selling?  I'm sorry, but that's a seriously boneheaded move.

What's a mobile Ferrara these days?  $15K?

Btw, that oven is almost a perfect replica of Best's oven in Williamsburg. It's great for NY style, but not for Neapolitan.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »
I think they want the oven to be a show piece and a link to history as much as they want it for cooking. The history behind this and others like it is certainly fasinating. I'd be happy to see them baking breads and NY style pizza in that oven, even if it's not up to the task of doing Neapolitan. Can you imagine how many more ovens like this are lying in waste, buried behind a renovation project?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:18:21 PM »
 ^^^ and best has the additional oven as well for slices and other goodies ! Stefano mobile is in that $ area but dont forget  tile , shipping and rigging they  dont walk into postion. That alone can be a few $K  But well worth it !!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline misterschu

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 11:04:56 AM »
These guys aren't limited in their pizzamaking.  Their stand at Central Park Summerstage puts out 20" pies, neapolitan dough and toppings with a non-neapolitan size, from one of their mobile ovens, while they do more authentic neapolitan pizzas at flea markets.

I am disappointed that they won't be able to use it as a coal oven though.  I was under the impression that existing coal ovens could be grandfathered in.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »
I'm guessing that the kickstarter won't just fund the renovation of the oven, but will help with other aspects of the new brick and mortar business too...  And the amount he's looking for tends is likely to be boosted by at least 10% since Kickstarter takes 5% of anything earned, and Amazon Payments (the payment processor) takes up to 5% as well. 

At least, that's how I had to come up with a number for my own kickstarter that's running now.

I was wondering about that when I saw the video though... HUGE oven, what's the cost of heating it???!!  It will be nuts. 

Can the bakery oven not reach Neapolitan temps?  Or is it just that it will be too pricey from a resource standpoint to maintain it?

pizzapan