Author Topic: Nestle sued for "poisoning" pizza  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Nestle sued for "poisoning" pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:23:52 AM »
Wow!
If alcohol is a poison (which it is) then beer, wine and distilled spirits should be taken of of the market. Wait! We've already tried that, and how did that turn out?
Why not bacon too? No trans fats, but lots of cholesterol (and that's bad for you too).
Personally, I think these people need to find a hobby! How about making pizzas at home? Then they can have them any way they want them!
I like to live a little out on the edge, so please put some sausage on mine.
Tom Lehmann/the Dough Doctor

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »
There's another petition making the rounds trying to force Kraft to stop using food coloring in their famous Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. The petitioners say that the coloring adds no value to the product other than its bright orange color, and that said coloring "chemicals" are unhealthy.

I say, if you don't like the "chemicals" that they use, then don't buy their product!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:10:06 PM »
Steve;
Spot on!
Just think of all the places where food coloring is used.
Just to name a few:
Chicago deep-dish pizzas (Egg-Shade coloring is what gives it the characteristic yellow color)
Peppermint; Red and green aren't the natural colors for this popular flavoring.
Whole-wheat bread uses caramel color to mask the typical muddy color of whole grain/wheat bread crumb.
Kool-Aid; You didn't really think all those colore were natural, did you?
M&M Candies are in the same boat as Kool-Aid.
Chuckles Candy (now that's an old one) suffers the same fate as the Kool-Aid too.
As you can see, the list could just go on and on, and if the colorings were all banned, eating might not be as much fun or appetizing as it presently is. Please don't share this with Mr. Nanny as he might see it as a solution to obesity in New York City.
Oh, one last one...Red Velvet Cake! Please don't take that one away!!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:23:48 PM »
I seriously doubt that this woman is genuinely concerned about the health risks to Nestle's customers. She is concerned with how much of their money that she can take.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »
I had an RD once make an interesting point about the whole fats in your diet issue.

She claimed that the type of fat really doesn't matter (for most people - like all rules, there are exceptions).  Fats are a necessary component in your diet, and should account for about 1/3 of the calories you consume.  Being a desk-jockey, I try to keep my intake around the 1800 calorie mark, which means 600 calories of fat.   Looking up fat on a nutrition content web page (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/133/2) for butter, I see that butter comes in at 201 per ounce.  If butter was the only fat I eat all day, then the proper amount for me is 3 ounces for the whole day.  And that, I was told, is a small enough amount that the fact that butter is mostly saturated fat isn't relevant.

Whether or not this hold true with the transfats, I'm not sure - the context of my conversation with her was about saturated vs mono/poly-unsaturated fats.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »
Sorry peeps, but the facilities used to manufacture yellow macaroni dye are not sustainable. nuff said.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:56:07 PM »
Sorry peeps, but the facilities used to manufacture yellow macaroni dye are not sustainable. nuff said.

???  Not nuff...splain please

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:29:07 PM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 11:48:50 PM »
There's another petition making the rounds trying to force Kraft to stop using food coloring in their famous Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. The petitioners say that the coloring adds no value to the product other than its bright orange color, and that said coloring "chemicals" are unhealthy.

I say, if you don't like the "chemicals" that they use, then don't buy their product!
Do these people even understand what they are doing to their poor tires when they rub silicon(Armor All) on them?

Oh the Humanity.... :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »
Do these people even understand what they are doing to their poor tires when they rub silicon(Armor All) on them?

Exactly, avoid Armor All like the plague. I always use non-silicone based products on my car... like Vinylex or 303 Aerospace protectant.

pizzapan