Author Topic: Where to start - help  (Read 806 times)

Offline ikilby

• I Love Pizza!
Where to start - help
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »
All,
the knowledge on this site is amazing and I am so glad I found this place.

I have made my own dough and pizza's at home before, but I want to get better and produce great pizza's with the better knowledge I can learn.

Can you advise me where to start - I am reading about Bakers percentages - different doughs and flours, pizza screens etc etc.

Is there a place with an idiots guide?

Also does anyone have any recommended equipment ? Should I buy a couple of Pizza screens ?

Lastly the flours and things like Cornmeals  - I am not sure I am going to be able to get these back in the little old UK. 

Regards
Ian

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Where to start - help
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »
Ian,

You should perhaps first decide what kind of pizza you want to make.

We do not have an "idiots guide", since we try not to treat our members as idiots, but we do have a Pizza Glossary that might help. You can access it by using the Resources button on the top of the page.

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »
Ian, Welcome to the forum. It may be helpful if you would let us know what you used to make your pizza in the past, include the type of flour and the the tools and oven you have.
Pete's idea to read the glossary is a GREAT one. I think that I started there when I 1st found this site. It is helpful to learn the "language" so you can understand what is being written a little better.
Since you have made pizza in the past you could let us know what it is about those pies that you liked and what you want to improve. Once you get a bit of a handle on it start baking pies. Doesn't matter if they are great or not, but you will learn a lot about your process by doing it frequently. Course it is even fun to eat your mistakes  :-D , not that you will make any.

Glad you found us, enjoy!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline ikilby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »
Thanks Guys,

I will look at the glossary as Pete suggested.

I really like Papa Johns and Mellow mushroom pies so they are the pies I aspire to get to making.

As far as what I have made before I made a basic pizza dough with Hovis strong white bread flour mixed with some Spelt bread flour to give a better taste, along with IDY , some olive oil and salt. Sorry I am away from home so can remember ratios.

I also made my own pie sauce from tomatoes, garlic powder, oregano, basil and salt & pepper.

I have a think granite stone I put in the oven, but my oven only gets to about 430F. Also have a metal peel which everything sticks to ! and i struggle to get dough off the thing. I also have had great difficulty stretching the dough - but want to get better at that.

Sorry for all the rambling. Excited I have found this place and have lots to learn and try.

Thanks
Ian

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 05:00:51 PM »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:54:52 PM »
Hey Ian,

I just want to add that both the PJ and MM formulations that Pete-zza linked are quite excellent.  I do however think the PJ is much easier, so personally I would recommend you start with that one first.  The MM dough can take a few tries to get right, even for folks who have made a bunch of pizzas before.   :chef:

Offline ikilby

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
Again thanks all for this excellent help.

I can wait to get home and start making pies :)

Still stuck in the US for another 3 weeks - so have no other choice but to eat said pies  >:D

Ian

pizzapan