Author Topic: Home Use: What is your favorite/recommended Neapolitan Style Dough Mixer  (Read 2519 times)

Offline tnor10

Home Use: What is your favorite/recommended Neapolitan Style Dough Mixer

Seeking recommendations based upon recent experienced mixers.  2012-2013

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
You forgot the best, IMO - kneading by stretch and fold with hands
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:04:22 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline tnor10

Hey Bill:

Agreed; but I am trying to establish a consistent approach until I am better at it. I am still experimenting with flours. 
Thank you for your feedback and any recommendations.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
What about the Verona/Electrolux DLX Mixer?  Most users LOVE it!

Offline tnor10

just added Verona/Electrolux DLX Mixer to the poll

Offline landras

I am using a cusinart, works very well. I just mix the ingredients for about 5 min then 30 min rest and then 3/4 stretch and fold cycles. I heard the bosch is a very good machine but never used.
good luck
nico

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
There are more than one kind of Bosch:  the Bosch Universal and the Bosch Compact.  I thought there was a third, but maybe not?  Anyway, the Universal and Compact are very different and should be separate entries. 

Offline tnor10

I have broken Bosch into two...I am really trying to get a sense of mixer vendor; reliable machine that doesn't struggle with pizza dough at low speeds (has low speeds but good torque), decent counter weight, etc

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
Assistent DLX is what I use and I love it. Higher capacity and able to make about 15 (or so) 275 gram balls per batch without having to worry about flour spilling out of bowl or dough climbing up on mixing spindle.

Plus its REALLY FUN TO WATCH!!!!! ;D

John K

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
it all depends on what hydration you like to go with.    Let us know and we can help.     

Offline tnor10

thanks all for your polling votes and keep the comments coming.   Please reach out to others to see if we can get a larger sampling...Tim

Offline valhalla

Esmach SP5 spiral mixer. Maybe a bit overkill, weighs a ton, but I use mine constantly for most all of my doughs including pizza.

Offline tnor10

thank you...added it to the poll

Offline dmcavanagh

I really don't understand why you want to do a poll on something like this, how many of these machines can one person own. Everyone has pretty much made a decision on purchasing one particular machine and that is the one they are using. I can't compare my KA to a Bosch or some other machine I don't own, and neither can anyione else. You do a little research, buy the machine you think will suit your needs and go with it.

Offline chaspie

I have never made Neapolitan style dough, but I use my Hobart N50 for most mechanical mixing chores.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
I really don't understand why you want to do a poll on something like this, how many of these machines can one person own. Everyone has pretty much made a decision on purchasing one particular machine and that is the one they are using. I can't compare my KA to a Bosch or some other machine I don't own, and neither can anyione else. You do a little research, buy the machine you think will suit your needs and go with it.

I get what your saying,  but some of us have problems :) here is what I have owned. 

Kitchen aid
magic mill dlx
bosch universal
esmach sp5 spiral
santos fork mixer
cuisinart 11 cup

I have settled on the bosch and the esmach as my favorites for covering all hydrations, but the bosch and magic mill would be a great combo too.   I have found that one mixer cant do the perfect dough at both high and low hydrations.   

Like I said

Offline tnor10

Scott:

Thank you for keeping it positive and your feedback...it is all about collaboration and sharing... :chef:

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member

I do not find this line of questioning/polling irritating or inappropriate. Many here probably HAVE owned more than one mixer. And what better subject group to ask about specific performance issues vis-a-vis Neapolitan dough? Maybe I'm missing something that's already been hacked to death previously?

John K

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
I wanted to add:

There seem to be different names that are used for the same mixer, no?

For instance --- Magic mill DLX and Assistent DLX are the same?

John K

Offline tnor10

good insights John; please clarify the product and model name; again this is a collaboration by feedback...

Thank you

pizzapan