Author Topic: Baking the pizza cold  (Read 694 times)

Offline spazster

Baking the pizza cold
« on: March 13, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
For the next pizza I make, I am considering refrigerating it for a while after it is all dressed up. I have two reasons for doing this: 1) hopefully it will be easier to move the pizza into oven and 2) I'm hoping the yeast will live a bit longer during the bake and I'll get a bigger rise.

So, if anyone here has ever tried this, am I making bad assumptions?  Will it still be hard to move into the oven or will it actually harm the rising process?  What is the downside to doing this?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Baking the pizza cold
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 05:40:25 PM »
For the next pizza I make, I am considering refrigerating it for a while after it is all dressed up. I have two reasons for doing this: 1) hopefully it will be easier to move the pizza into oven and 2) I'm hoping the yeast will live a bit longer during the bake and I'll get a bigger rise.

So, if anyone here has ever tried this, am I making bad assumptions?  Will it still be hard to move into the oven or will it actually harm the rising process?  What is the downside to doing this?
Spaz,

You didn't indicate how long you would put the dressed pizza into the refrigerator, but if it is for a meaningful period of time, you may experience problems with the sauce leaching into the dough and it might release some of its water content through separation. That might lead to a gumline in the finished crust. As a possible solution to that problem, you could brush the dough skin with oil to serve as a barrier between the sauce and the skin, but sometimes that can cause the cheese and toppings to slide off of slices once they are eaten. Under normal conditions, I wouldn't worry much about the yeast losing its leavening capacity.

I remember reading about this topic on various occasions over at the PMQ think Tank, so I did a search on the subject. Here is a typical thread that you might find of interest, especially Tom Lehmann's post: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13632&hilit=#p84102. You might also take a look at this PMQTT post by Tom on gum lines at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5652&hilit=#p34848.

Peter

Offline spazster

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »
I was thinking about putting in for about 20 to 30 minutes. Just enough to make it firm. Thanks for the links.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
I have never refrigerated a pie after dressing it, but I have used cold dough, right out of the refrigerator. If anything, I'd say that it had a slight negative impact on oven spring, not positive. I think that most oven spring doesn't happen until the dough gets to a certain temperature, so putting it in cold will just delay it, not increase it.

Another reason that I don't like using cold dough is that it takes longer for the crust brown. The cheese burns and the toppings overcook before there is enough browning.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »

You will find it easier to launch if you just open up a cooler temp dough ball.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan