Author Topic: I can't figure out what cheese is being used  (Read 2335 times)

Offline DavePZ

I can't figure out what cheese is being used
« on: March 13, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »
The cheese flavor on a neighborhood pizza joint is very unique.
I know for a fact they use a Mild White Cheddar as one of the cheeses, and I was able to procure a few cups of it, but when I tried to duplicate their pie, the cheese flavor had a major missing flavor.
The flavor has a kind of bite to it.
It is NOT a funky "aged" flavor at all. I have tried an aged provolone before, and that flavor is not it.

Any idea on what cheeses I should try, that may produce a "bite", but have none of that aged funky flavor (sorry, I cannot be any more specific, but am willing to try a bunch until I figure it out)

Thanks!!
Dave

Offline Jackitup

Re: I can't figure out what cheese is being used
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »
Asiago comes to mind. Maybe a Swiss in the mix.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:46:10 PM »
It is NOT a funky "aged" flavor at all.
Dave,

Does that rule out grated Parmesan or Romano cheeses, or maybe a blend of those two cheeses?

Peter

Offline DavePZ

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
Jon - Asiago is interesting, I will try that next. If I remember correctly I have had it on bagels, and it had a nice strong flavor.
Pete - I have tried Romano and Parmesan with no avail.
Thanks!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 06:52:51 PM »
Dave,

I also had problems when trying to recreate a pizzerias mild white cheddar.  I went though countless cheddars and there was always something missing.  I believe from all my searching for the right mild white cheddar that pizzerias usually purchase their mild white cheddar in 40 lb. blocks or larger.  Even those big blocks of mild white cheddars do have different flavors when baked on a pizza.  I worked on trying to find the right mild white cheddar for over three years.  :-D

Best of luck in finding the right mild white cheddar!

Norma
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:54:32 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline DavePZ

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 06:55:27 PM »
Thanks Norma....BTW, I remember reading your quest on here. Was the closest cheese for the Mack and Mancos ONLY Mild cheddar? and Mozz? Was there any other type of cheese?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
Thanks Norma....BTW, I remember reading your quest on here. Was the closest cheese for the Mack and Mancos ONLY Mild cheddar? and Mozz? Was there any other type of cheese?

Dave,

I believe that the closest cheese on the boardwalk thread was only mild white cheddar. 

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »
Really hard to figure out cheese mixes unless you know exactly what was used, I like to add some Stella Italian sharp or some BelGiosso kasseri cheese to my mix. Be very cautious when adding sharper cheeses, they can overpower a pie. Good luck, I doubt that the place is using either of these, the cost is too high for most neighborhood joints to add to a pie.

Offline grathan

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 05:41:07 PM »
Could it be salt? I know salted curd can make interesting mozzarella. I also experimented with Romano the other day(fresh and dried/grated). I know your avoiding the "aged" flavor, but a little goes a long ways... I  certainly overdid things, but I wouldn't be afraid of mixing in a half teaspoon next time to liven a cheese up. Another neat thing about the dried romano cheese is it can absorb some grease if you happen to get a peculiarly oily mozzarella. I tried a Kraft brand white cheddar the other day and got no flavor.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 05:58:51 PM »
Hey Davey,
Could it possibly be a 'lil Gouda love?  :drool:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20697.0.html

Bobby   ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline DavePZ

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »
Interesting. I will try Gouda too.

Another question for the forum: Can going from a 550 deg oven to a 900 deg oven drastically change the flavor of the cheese? Could I have the cheese right, but not the bake temp??

Thanks!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 11:51:54 PM »
A small amount of Swiss really changes the flavor and gives it a bite, worth a try.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
DavePZ,

Rather than experimenting with all kinds of cheese, I usually just ask the pizzeria what brand of cheese do they use. If they say Mozzarella Cheese, respond by saying , "What Brand of Mozzarella"?  Is this Grande' cheese, or Precious brand cheese, Della Vita (FSA Brand), Dairy Gold,  etc... I really like the taste. I have been eatting here for a long time and just always wanted to know?  In most cases they will tell you, especially if you talk with one of the workers while he is making your pizza, instead of the owner.

Usually, they get their cheese from a distributor, like Food Services of America, SYSCO, or US Foods, etc.. There are also smaller distributors of cheese as well. Places that will not sell to you.

Hope that helps?

TomN

Offline DavePZ

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 04:57:19 PM »
Thanks guys.....here is where I am at.....

I was able to coax the owner to sell me "a few cups of his cheese".....
I took it home, and clearly identified it as a mild white cheddar. I even shredded my white cheddar that I got a Safeway, told my wife to feed me some of each without looking....and I could not tell much of a difference.

Then I cooked a pie with both his cheese, and my cheese (separated)....and they tasted exactly the same cooked...BUT, neither tasted ANYTHING like the flavor at the pizzeria.

I was in the restaurant when he baked his first pie of the day (for me), and I immediately smelled the very unique smell that comes with his pies. I did not smell anything like this when I baked mine.

Either he gave me only one of his cheeses, and he actually uses a blend....or there is something else going on...maybe oven temp...

I am at a loss. I thought I was going to be able to make a clone, since I had his cheese, or even something close....and also used sauce that tasted the same as his (separate quest)....but I was not even close. I am very depressed....I though once I had his actual cheese, I would be 75% of the way there...

I asked the owner outright if he could tell me what he uses since I am such a big fan, but cant get to the area very often, and would love to cook some pizzas with my kids...etc, etc....and he just laughed. I don't blame the guy, since his pizzas taste like nothing I have ever tasted before....

Any thoughts? (I thought about dumpster diving...but at almost 40 yrs old, I feel like I would be crossing a personal line... :) ) And how could I explain to my kids why I went headfirst into a dumpster behind the shopping center... :) Might scar them for life!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 05:08:33 PM »
Dave,

I sure donít know what goes on with cheddar either, or if your pizzeria uses a blend, but I thought I had the right cheddar at one time too and when I baked it in my momí oven it did taste like the right cheddar, but then when I used the same cheddar at market in my deck oven somehow the cheddar tasted different.  I could never figure that out.

I did go dumpster diving, but still didnít look in the right places.  If your pizzeria is just using cheddar it is probably in 40 or more lb. blocks.  It could be in smaller blocks though.  If the cheddar is in 40 lb. blocks it can be hard to find out the exact same thing because the big boxes of cheddar donít have any brand names on them.  If the cheddar is in smaller amount it will have a brand name on it.

Good luck!

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 06:26:59 PM »
I thought I had the right cheddar at one time too and when I baked it in my momí oven it did taste like the right cheddar, but then when I used the same cheddar at market in my deck oven somehow the cheddar tasted different.
Dave....this is the nature of the beast when one tries to copy things. Can be quite tricky to say the least.  >:(
I feel your pain man...  :(

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 12:51:56 PM »
Dave,

If you really want to know the cheese brand, I think you going to have to invest some time, tipping,  and eatting at this restaurant often. One day when your eatting pizza there, talk to the workers or the waiter that you tip regularly and ask them what brand of cheese do you use? If they do not know, ask them to go look at the label in the kitchen. I am sure if your timing is right, you will get your answer. Also, If you can watch the pizza being made and become friends with the guy making your pizza, they often will tell you the cheese brand. (no big deal to them)

I am often amazed at some Pizzaiolo's that treat their recipe as if it is a threat to national security if released. Even if you have the exact recipe, you probably can't make it exactly at home without the $20,000 pizza oven, the time involved to make it, the expensive cheese and other ingredients that have to be purchased in bulk or exclusively from a distributor that is not going to sell to you.

However, If you really are searching for this cheese brand, you will get an answer over time.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 02:06:26 PM »
Are you sure it's the cheese that you're smelling?

I know that a properly ripened dough that's cooking in the oven produces a smell like no other. Maybe he's proofing his dough balls for several days and that's the smell you're picking up.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline EZPIZZA

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »
Maybe there is some provolone cheese mixed with the mild cheddar.

Offline grathan

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
cheese doesn't have a smell from a distance. I would agree with the provolone though. Cheddar is pretty bland and I would doubt I could even taste it on a pizza. My latest blend has me hooked for a bit. %25 munster, %5 sharp provolone(Bel Gioioso) %70 mozzerella (i use either Sorrento, Polly-o, or Grande).